Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

cd/dvd drive

Elkinallen
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:48 pm 

Anyone with knowledge on this Shocked

When I load a cd or a dvd in one of the 2 drives. They play/run. But when I eject them, the drive still 'thinks' the other disc is still in the drive!!! It won't read the current disc without either re-booting or opening and closing the tray. Sometimes several times!
This happens with both drives. So this makes me think that it is a software issue. UNLESS both drives are failing simultaneously.

Anyone experiencethis? Know anything?

Maybe a driver issue.
Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:32 pm 

Yes maybe it is.
Go to Device Manager and unistall both your devices.Restart Windows and let 'em find and install the new hardware.

Let us know. Wink
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:30 am 

If Greekman's solution won't fix the problem (which is unlikely) -I'll try a shot in the dark...
Check in your 'Drives'' Properties if you can still manipulate the settings in 'AutoPlay'. If you can't there is a little utility that fixes it.
Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:57 am 

Tailhook wrote:
If Greekman's solution won't fix the problem (which is unlikely) -I'll try a shot in the dark...
Check in your 'Drives'' Properties if you can still manipulate the settings in 'AutoPlay'. If you can't there is a little utility that fixes it.

Very right suggestion. Exclamation
Elkinallen
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:41 pm 

Hey! Thanks you guys!!! I REALLY appreciate your time and effort here.

Here's the latest:

I removed/re-installed the drivers for the CD/DVD drives. Then both drives were behaving. THEN!!1 It started again!! This time I un-installed the drivers and was not promted for a computer re-start. I did the 'found new hardware' deal. The drivers were reinstalled and the drives were working again. NOW!!! The cd drive works but every time I want to change disks in the DVD drive I must uninstall/re-install the driver. The funny thing is that the uninstall/re-install procedure is not requiring a computer re-start.

I know this sounds wierd and I do not expect any advice on this. I just wanted to share this info with everyone.

I think that it is a mild virus of some kind. Or maybe the hard drive is damaged a little. Enough to cause this. I did defrag and scandisc. No reported/fixed disc errors. All hardware reporting shows 'This device is working properly'.

WEEEeeeeeee!! What fun!!!!Shocked

Merry Christmas to all!!!
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:45 am 

I presume that the DVD drive was added at a later stage. If you still have the manual for your motherboard, check whether any changes have to be made to the BIOS.
It might be a master/slave thing similar to when you have more than one HDD in some instances. On older type motherboards you had to set the jumpers to effect these changes. On many, if not all new motherboards, the BIOS settings have to be changed instead.
Elkinallen
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:28 pm 

Tailhook, thank you for this. The CD/DVD drives are original but I have added another Hard drive. It is using cableselect.
I tried,,, well, I did turn off the computer and I disconnected the second hard drive. When I strted the computer again. It would not start. It said that no disc was installed and that I needed to install windows. You know? The 'No system disc found' message.

I really don't know why it did this in that I added the second hard drive as a slave extra storage drive. Hmmmm? maybe you are on to something here. This setup may be confusing the whole works?!?!?!?!

I did un-install/re-install the CD/DVD drivers through safe mode. But it still does it!!!

Anything on this? Smile
Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:30 pm 

Maybe you havent plug right the cable of the hard drive(not the power)try to put it opposite than you have it now.Check all of your cables.If you have 2 hard drives the one must be the master and the other one the slave.The same thing you must do for your CD/DVD drives.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:28 am 

I don't know what 'cableselect' is.

The CD/DVD drives are original but I have added another Hard drive. It is using cableselect.

I have to ask though, did the problem regarding your Topic start immediately after you'd installed the new HDD?
Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:12 am 

I don't know what 'cableselect' is.

The HD drives and the CD/DVD drives apart from Master,Slave choice(the pins that you plug in the small jumber)also have the CSEL OR CBLS choice which means Cable select.

The following link explains it very well Arrow

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/ata_cable_select.html
Elkinallen
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:20 am 

Ok!!! I have to plead the 'S' Amendment here. 'S' for stupidity. I did not place the jumper back to CS after disabling the 2nd hard drive. Now the system boots normally.
I am SORRY for wasting your time here. Anyway, I hope others can benefit somehow with all this if they are experiencing a same type of problem.

The problems seem to have started just before I placed the second hard drive. I had the computer sent from America via airmail to here. Germany. When it arrived it's case, some of the plastic was broken. Indicating that it took a good smack somewhere along the line. I am thinking more and more that this problem is the result of physical damage caused by this 'smack'.
To date I have accomplished scans, disc checks, driver reload through safe mode and others, sys restore to previous dates.

I think what I will do next is install another hardrive and see what happens. A new hard drive that replaces the ones that are in the computer.

Well! I will keep you informed here so that possibly someone can use this info for troublshooting.
Confused
Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:26 am 

You dont waste our time at all my friend.
We learn with you and such kind of topics are always interesting.Let us know if you have any news for your problem. Wink
Insight
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:37 pm 

Are both of your CD/DVD drives on the same IDE cable?

If so, and if possible, try putting them onto seperate IDE cables to see if that helps at all.

Do each of the drives operate ok when only one of them is plugged in at a time?

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:02 pm 

If one drive of any sort, the rest of them on that cable also have to be cableselect...
Elkinallen
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:55 pm 

Thanks Greekman.

Thanks to you others too!! Good advice!! I will try the deselecting one drive or the other and see what happens.

Really strange problem with the CD/DVD drives.

With removing reinstalling the driver in order for the drive to accept another disc is quite peculier. The entire thing spells CRAP! Either a mild virus/spyware or physical damage of some kind.

I will try other things before I do a restore and then a hardware change. Crying or Very sad
Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:10 pm 

Let us know... Wink
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:59 am 

Leave no stone unturned - you might as well try this one before you resort to more drastic measures Arrow Autoplay Repair Wizard Genuine Windows download

It fixed the problem I had a few months ago Yes

Arrow http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en&Hash=944HJC4
Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:31 am 

Seems to be a useful tool.I didnt knew about it.Thanks Tailhook Thumbs Up!
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:36 am 

It sure is. I was unable to change my settings back to Autoplay no matter what I tried. Someone wrote a letter to the editor complaining about the same problem. As it turns out, worldwide many Windows users have the same problem and this is the fix. Thumbs Up!

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum