AI = Artificial Intelligence

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I'm unclear of what exactly is meant by the subject designation AI and where aircraft so-designated are supposed to operate.

I note that a couple I have (eg VC10) are probably AI planes but at a pinch they can be flown in FS2004, minus an instrument panel. The default gauges that come up on keystroke "W" are just about enough to get the plane up but not down in one piece. A HS748 download I acquired a couple of days ago appears to be AI, with no instrument panel. It is perfectly feasible to land it.

Is it possible to locate and add an instrument panel, with suitable gauges, onto an AI plane? I haven't come across panels other than for Boeing jets to date.

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Try avsim.net. Go to the file libraries and search <plane_name/model> under FS2004 panels.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Many thanks for your response - I'll have a looksee.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

The only downloadable panel I can see that is for an aircraft similar to the HS748 is for a Dash-8. I am understandbly reluctant to introduce a different panel as the odds are it would not work. Or, am I quite wrong in this?

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

If you download an aircraft it should state whether it's for AI use or not. AI aircraft are designed for that use only i.e. no panel/guages so as not to put unessasary limitations on your computer. There are plenty of "flyable" aircraft to choose from from various websites, as already stated AVSIM is a very good source. Register if not already done so and search for Marcel Kuhnt this will give you a flyable Avro 748. Not tried it myself but it's there for you to give it a whizzz.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Addressing the issue of whether you can add a penel to an AI aircraft and fly it. Yes, you can. But be aware that AI models are not usually as , "good looking" as the ones you are meant to fly.

Addressing whether you can use the panel from a different aircraft. Yes, you can...within reason. I'v actually seen MD-11s with 777 panels. Now considering they have a different number engines, it is dumb, but it works.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

you need to change the aircraft config to accomodate the extra info an ai plane needs to be playable. simply open up another aircraft cfg and copy-paste this stuff:

[fltsim.0]
title=Antonov An-148
sim=Antonov An-148
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
checklists=
ui_manufacturer=Antonov
ui_type=An-148
ui_variation=Kras Air
description=Antonov An-148
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=1
atc_id_enable=1
atc_id_font=Tahoma,-24,1,800,0
visual_damage=1
atc_id=UR-NTB
atc_airline=Kras
atc_flight_number=1012
atc_heavy=0

then just put a panel foler in - like the other aircraft have

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

I can't see the point for anyone to want to fly an AI model....WHY???

Pro Member Chief Captain

The only reason I can think of, is if there is no "meant-to-fly" model available. I haven't checked if his a/c is available because I'm in the middle of flying from Tokyo to Singapore.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Yes that was my reason too - it was the only one I could fly.

Noted re the approach suggested two back. Will have a looksee.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Yes that was my reason too - it was the only one I could find
Noted re the approach suggested two back. Will have a looksee.

Pro Member Trainee
Tim (CaptainTower) Trainee

Of late, I have been becoming more interested in AI aircraft, but not for flying. I used to see 747's sitting on the runway and in the air at various locations but no more. I have downloaded AI aircraft in the past that were also flyable.

My question is what makes FS recognize an aircraft as AI? I see lots of 737's and MD 80's but very few heavies. Is there something wrong with my aircraft configs? I set Traffic at 40 percent.

Thanks,

Tim

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try moving your traffic slide up more, you'll take a FPS hit but it'll give you a better idea of what's out there.
I keep mine at 100%

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Tim (CaptainTower) Trainee

Thanks, RadarMan. I will try that. I know what you mean about frame rates. That's why I ususally keep it at 40 percent. But, as you said, at least I will know if there are any other AI planes out there.

Tim

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I was surprised when on finals to Blackpool (Squire's Gate) to find a somewhat ghostly Dash-8 sitting on the end of the runway awaiting takeoff. I didn't spot it till practically over the threshold so landed on the grass. I stopped to have a looksee and sure enough there it was - nothing on the ATC to warn me if an impending collision.

That's the one and only other aircraft I've ever seen in FS9 so why it should have been there I really don't know - an AI ghost?

My query about just what is AI seems to have been unanswered and I'm still mystified about what it is supposed to do. Are these planes intended to be used in something like Traffic 2005 which are not necessarily under our pilotage?

It's certainly interesting to guess an approach in the absence of proper instrumentation but I suppose this prepares us to cope with instrument panel failure!

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I put a copy of the Fairchild "Metro" panel into my HS748 and it caused a certain amount of grief! Responses to the joystick view button became erratic, the sound disappeared. The flap button had no effect. Opening the throttle certainly worked but movement along the runway was in jerks which seem to have indicated the frame rate had been affected.

All other aircraft in FS9 were affected.

Obviously not a good idea so I removed the copy and shut down my pc to give things a chance to simmer down. On rebooting and running up FS9 all was back to normal, even for the HS748 which I flew in 2D mode (minus a panel) and "W" key to bring up the default "essential instruments". It behaved normally and took off.

I think it is the lack of all the Microsoft buttons - "Map" etc - which is the real problem as you can't access the Autopilot panel or anything else and it is a bit inconvenient to have to look outside the plane to see if the gear and flaps are up or down!

So it may be that some panels work outside their correct locations but not all.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...