GlideSlope question

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (-Jester-) First Officer

Hey guys I am back for another question. I am wondering how to set up the glide slope for perfect landings. So basically what do I place where? thanks in advance!

-Nick

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Nick (-Jester-) First Officer

sorry forget the question I just saw the ILS post in the General forum

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Do you use the glide slope indicator which is a row of lights to the left of the runway threshold at most airports that can be either white or red:

4 whites = approaching far too high and will land too far along the runway
3 whites + 1 red = approaching a bit too high
2 whites + 2 reds = optimum approach path
1 white + 3 reds = approaching a bit too low
4 reds = approaching far too low and will probably hit the ground before the runway threshold.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes. Once you are in visual conditions. It could be a VASI or PAPI. They are slightly different but show the same thing. The one that you described is a PAPI. The glide slope indicator though, is the instrument in the panel.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Haven't met those two terms before - can you please tell me what they mean?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Thanks 99Joelegg. Wikipedia.org is a great site. I would have gotten finger cramps trying to type a response to describe the visual light systems. A picture is truly worth a thousand words. 🙂

CRJ

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Wikipedia is indeed a great site 😉 It has loads of other information about approach lighting which is very interesting Read

🍻

Guest Ed Guest

I've always wondered about all those "other" lights at the end of the runway-- very few airports in FS09 have them, but they look kind of like an inverted christmas tree-- red, green and white, with lights that come on when you get close.

I've never figured out exactly what they are telling me.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Those lights (Guest Ed) is talking about are Instrument Approach Lights. They are only on runways that have an instrument approach. They help the pilot see the runway environment during the transition to visual cues at the end of an instrument approach; during poor visibility. They come in a few different configurations based on the type of instrument approach, minimum visibility and the budget of the people that own it. Their configuration also aids in aligning the aircraft and estimating distance. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

"Red over white, you're doing alright."

"White over white, you'll fly all night."

"Red over red, you'll soon be dead."

just to help you remember 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...