Another couple of q's

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Hi all,

Can somebody explain the holding patterns to me? Obviously I understand "make straight in" but I dont quite get the rest.

Also, what are all the lines in the GPS console? I know the magenta one is the flight path but I dont understand the rest.

Many thanks 😀

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Oh one more...

Ive just flew my first fspassengers flight in a light a/c. Whats a good touchdown speed for them? I got -42.3 ft/m (kiss) which seems soooo light compared to the heavies I usually fly.

Thanks 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Doyley wrote:

Hi all,

Can somebody explain the holding patterns to me? Obviously I understand "make straight in" but I dont quite get the rest.

Also, what are all the lines in the GPS console? I know the magenta one is the flight path but I dont understand the rest.

Many thanks 😀

When they say "make downwind runway 18" then you'd fly paralel to the runway and turn base at the appropriate time depending on your aircraft. The Base leg is the next leg in the traffic pattern. It is when the runway is off your port (left) or starboard (right) wing. Obviusly final is when your right in line with the runway. Incase you didn't understand that, here's a link i found. http://avstop.com/AC/FlightTraingHandbook/AirportTrafficPatterns.html

I'm not sure what lines your referring to. 😕

The touchdown or landing speed should be in your checklist or specification sheet. Your landing speed also depends on a number of other factors to including weight and weather.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

MyPilots diagram and explanation should tell you all you want to know about traffic patterns.

You will have to be more specific about the GPS question though. I think you are referring to the blue lines that segment the land. This is to show you the different airspace you are entering and leaving. Colour varies from light to dark blue to signify the different types of airspace that you could be entering. Some areas are restricted airspace, such as that of high density traffic because they have no time for dinky little Cessna's 😞

Anything under -100fpm is a good landing in a small aircraft. Anything below -50fpm is a very nice landing, just as long as you didn't hover down the runway to make it smooth 😎

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Oh man, in a heavy jet, I'd say shoot for 200-300FPM, if you can get a lower number without making a "floater" you're in business. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I have yet to be told to land in any which way besides "straight in", which gets annoying sometimes since I have Traffic 2004 with AI Smooth running and at more busy airports I usually have the, "cleared to land, follow blah blah blah on final". Only to realize the plane is a few miles behind me and even though its clear to land right before I land I get dreaded "go around" bs. Gotta love that.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I hate when that hapenns.
Don't tell anybody but i sometimes ignore that "go around." Whistle

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Yeah I usually ignore it.

One time on final coming into Miami I was told to go around, 1 second later a Dash-8 came down on approach probably about 10 feet in front of me, yeah thanks alot ATC.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I only ignore it after i check my 6 and make sure i can get off of the runway before the next plane. But what's annoying is when the planes don't get off the runway quick enough. Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Holding Patterns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_%28aviation%29 🙂

Last edited by CRJCapt on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

I maintained a holding pattern once for soo long that I actually crashed with no fuel!! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

SteveT wrote:

I maintained a holding pattern once for soo long that I actually crashed with no fuel!! 😂

ROFL ROFL ROFL 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Yeh and I was soo close to the airport!! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Fire_Emblem, That a new girl you got there or is she the same sweetie u have been hangin out with for awhile? Inquiring minds want to know bro.

orlandogeorge.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...