No reverse thrust problem

Railroad Guest

I bought fs2004 yesterday after having previous versions for many years. However, I seem to have a problem with the reverse thrust for jets. After throttling down on landing I press F2 which is the key to activate the reverse thrust but it will not work, which means I dump the crate on the tarmac and shoot off the end of the runway because I can't stop.

When I start the program I'll select any jet aircraft, go to spot view and activate reverse (F2). It will work then, but won't after I've been flying for a while.

So could it be a bug in the software, and if so does anyone know of a fix?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Have you made sure you have all AP and AT disengaged? Dont Know

😉

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

I always hit F1 before F2. If i just throttle back using the joystick it sometimes keeps about 25% thrust

Railroad Guest

Yes. I always like to land manually. Using AP to land is cheating......

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Seriously, just hold F1, bring up your throttle quadrant and see if it goes into reverse or not, its NOT THAT HARD.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Hey the guys just asking a question....... 🙄

Pro Member Trainee
Ville Jalonen (Ville) Trainee

If you have a joystick and a throttle in it or a separate throttle make sure that it is calibrated properly. If it is not calibrated properly you might have for example 5% throttle all the time and if throttle gives small "spikes" (like they usually do) your throttle will try to jump all the time 5% throttle when you try to apply smaller thrust than 5%.

Kianok's tip usually works if throttle isn't calibrated right but it doesn't always work. You should however try that: pull your throttle idle (if you have one) then press f1 and after that keep f2 button down.

Railroad Guest

Thanks Ville. The problem is my joystick, if I disable it the reverse thrust works perfectly ok.

Even though I've calibrated it several times it would appear that the slider throttle control is faulty, possibly due to a poor connection inside. I'll try taking it to bits and cleaning it, but I've had it a few years so it's about time I bought a new one.

Pro Member Trainee
Ville Jalonen (Ville) Trainee

What joystick you have? I wouldn't recommend of taking it to bits but if you know what you do it might help.

I had several problems with my Sidewinder Precision 2 but all the problems were cleaned out when I decided to use Windows XP's own drivers instead of ones provided on CD.

Now I have Saitek X52 and I have to change all the time deadzones of the throttle. Well Saitek knows this problem as same has happened to many customers but they have said they release firmware update. However i'm quite sure that we won't see that day for years.

Railroad Guest

Ville wrote:

What joystick you have? I wouldn't recommend of taking it to bits but if you know what you do it might help.

I had several problems with my Sidewinder Precision 2 but all the problems were cleaned out when I decided to use Windows XP's own drivers instead of ones provided on CD.

Now I have Saitek X52 and I have to change all the time deadzones of the throttle. Well Saitek knows this problem as same has happened to many customers but they have said they release firmware update. However i'm quite sure that we won't see that day for years.

It's an old Destiny Black Widow which I've had since 1997. Is nothing fancy, just a yoke, four buttons, throttle and rudder. It also has a four way switch on the top but I've never found a way to get that to work.

I'm not really into games much, I only really use a joystick for Flight Simulator and Combat FS, so if you could recommend a good one for those without all the bells and whistles I'd be grateful.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...