Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Britten Norman Islander

Aldeeb
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:37 pm 

I have the "Azur Connection" BN-2A Islander installed on my PC.

I would like to be able to add the "Winair" and "St Barths Commuter" Islander add-on. This add-on refers to the m-r-software "Islander" (the original Marcel Kuhnt program) which wants DIORF32G.zip (BN-2A) and DIOLA32G.zip (BN-2B) installed first.

I am unclear what will happen if I try to install these two folders as it would appear that the first will be on a collision course with the "Azur Connection" Islander - I would quite like to keep it.

In the past I have experience comprehensive chaos when I have tried to delete an aircraft and created "Initialization" problems. I would appreciate guidance on the best way forward with the target of having both the 2A and 2B versions plus textures for the German aircraft, Azur Connection and the Caribbean addons.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:36 am 

Aldeeb,

if you provide links to the files you're mentioning it will be much easier to get a grip on the whole thing. Idea
Aldeeb
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:27 am 

Thanks Tailhook but I don't understand how a link would work, nor do I know how to create one.

My Azur Islander lives in a folder within FS9 Aircraft called "Britten Norman Islander" and I wondered if one way around my diffs might be to create a separate folder and call it "BN Islander" to house the Islander 2A and 2B ex m-r-software.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:57 am 

To create a link do the following:

Access the page where the file is located. Click on the URL - it will turn blue. Right-click and select 'Copy'. Your URL / link is now on your invisible clipboard.
Right-click in your Message body and select 'Paste'.

Note: Don't add any other character(s) after the link as it will render the link useless. Start a new line instead.
Aldeeb
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:02 pm 

I don't understand the function of the link or how it relates to the normal installation of downloaded aircraft into one's PC.

At the moment I have a folder called "Flightsim Downloads" and it is organized by maker and aircraft type. For example all the downloads I have for the "Islander" are in the same folder in unexpanded state - eg "Azur Connection", St Barths & Winair Commuter, Loganair and the basic Islander ex m_r_software.

I have only installed the "Azur Connection" over to FS9>Aircraft>Britten Norman>Islander and in it are the usual "model", "panel" etc folders.

If I try to put anything else into that folder I am sure there will be a collision and I run the risk of stopping everything.

My first reaction was to create a separate folder for everything but "Azur Connection" and call it FS9>Aircraft>BrittenNorman>Islander. If it was possible to put the whole lot in the existing Islander folder this is plainly better but I am being cautious as I have learned not to do anything which I lack certainty as in the past I have had a number of "Initialization" messages when, for example, I have tried to remove an aircraft.

Sorry to be a pain but I do want to be quite sure what I am doing.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:22 pm 

I am sorry to have caused confusion. The key really is contained in this sentence:
I don't understand the function of the link or how it relates to the normal installation of downloaded aircraft into one's PC.

The link does not relate to the installation as such. But: If you provide the link and possibly the exact filename (as there are sometimes more than one file contained in the same link), we can actually look at the file, if download speeds and file size permit even download the file(s) and troubleshoot with you. Needless to say, one of us might discover something that you have overlooked - we all make mistakes.

The biggest problem is that many files bear an almost identical name yet can be quite different in their installing procedures. Original files are often repackaged and repackaged and repackaged and you end up with a multitude of readme files within one package that can sound quite contradictory because hardly any of the "Repackagers" ever bothers to sort out that mess.

The idea is to get hold of the base model if it's still available, provide the link to it and then link us to the modifications or repaints or packages you intend to install.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask Very Happy
Aldeeb
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:10 pm 

I sat down and thought this thro' and came up with a relatively painless of adding more Island 2A repaints which involved:

1.adjusting the aircraft.cfg file by adding [flight.sim1] and [flight.sim2] files with relevant line alterations, removing anything to do with "Azur Connection" and substituting details for the repaints being added - eg Scillies Skybus and OLT DIOLA.

2. placing copies of the texture files for the Skybus and DIOLA in the BN2A folder in FS9

I carefully checked everything and, lo and behold I now have the 2A in the colours of Azur Connecion, Skybus and OLT. The advantages of doing it this way were:

a) I could understand what I was doing and why.
b) the method is a simple one.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is not considered to be very elegant but IT WORKS!

Now to deal with the 2B!
Aldeeb
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:14 pm 

In the above I of course mean lines not "files" in the context of [flightsim.1] and 2!
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:42 am 

Glad you've sorted it all out Cheers!

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum