missing scenery in fs9

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

i reinstalled windows xp and fs9 which was working great but had to do a reinstall of fs9 cause i messed some files up, but now scenery is not running properly i get a error message when loading fs9, attempting to open a non existent directory, i have done a reinstall about 5 times but the scenery wont run, i have the latest drivers for my video card i have even try various drivers from the radeon site but still have the same problem. i installed fs2002 and it works fine maybe one of the fs9 discs are corrupted. anyone any ideas.

thanks jimimac

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

It sounds like fs9 is looking for some scenery that you may have removed.
Have a look in settings/scenery library and untick your add ons one at a time (unless you know which one) and restart fs9 each time to find the one

Let us know how you get on

TTT

Pro Member First Officer
Riclo First Officer

🙂 Aloha All,If I may,I think what he is saying is that no matter if he reinstalls,the FS looks for non existant scenery,if thats so,I recommend that the next time you reload,you first make sure there are no residual sub files in the 2004 Folder,in other words,WIPE IT CLEAN 😳 or the FS will see the file thats not Registered and COMPLAIN... Evil or Very Mad Then you will have a clean running Sim. Hope this Helps. Ric

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

microsoft sai the had come across this problem before withe the radeon9600xt and suggested i turn down the mip mapping this did solve the problem, but i had this card for a while and it was working fine, but everything works ok now. thank you for the help

jimimac

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 Thank you for the information, we can help others at some point now.

Radar

wilki Guest

I too have just done a re-install of Windows 98SE on a new hard drive and am getting the same scenery missing problem on starting up. This is happening on 2002 and 2004. I am using a G4 Ti 4600.
i have tried several different drivers wiyhout any success. Any help appreciated.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

wilki wrote:

I too have just done a re-install of Windows 98SE on a new hard drive and am getting the same scenery missing problem on starting up. This is happening on 2002 and 2004. I am using a G4 Ti 4600.
i have tried several different drivers wiyhout any success. Any help appreciated.

Could you please give us your computer system specs. We can judge more from that especially since you are running an older OS.
Thanks.

Radar

My system specs as follows:
Windows 98 SE, MSI G4 Ti4600, K7T Turbo Motherboard, 512mg Ram, 120Gb 100ATA Hard Drive, Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Soundcard.
This problem appeared after installing the new Hard Drive.
The old drive was a 40Gb ata 66 on which i have reinstalled windows and flight sim at least half a dozen times without any problem,
Regards,
Wilki

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Wilki,
You didn't say what your CPU was but if you are still running 98SE it must be about 1 gig or less.

That may be your problem, not enough "muscle" to have all show up.
I would turn the sliders down to less than default, almost to zero and slowly move them up again, one by one until your satisfied with the result.

Radar

Sorry Forgot to mention the processor is an Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird.
Turned all the options right down but made no difference. Tried completely uninstalling and re installing but still comes up with the scenery directory missing box which has a strange folder name.
As Isaid before, the problem only started aftrer changing my hard drive
It ran fine before this.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

1.4, is good enough.

What is the "strange folder name".

Radar

jimimac wrote:

i reinstalled windows xp and fs9 which was working great but had to do a reinstall of fs9 cause i messed some files up, but now scenery is not running properly i get a error message when loading fs9, attempting to open a non existent directory, i have done a reinstall about 5 times but the scenery wont run, i have the latest drivers for my video card i have even try various drivers from the radeon site but still have the same problem. i installed fs2002 and it works fine maybe one of the fs9 discs are corrupted. anyone any ideas.

thanks jimimac

Sicnarf Guest

Hi. Just installed FS2004 and now also getting the same error, "Scenery Read Error......". Here is the specs of my PC:

Athlon 2400+ w/ VIAKT400 board
512MB DDR 333
128MB GEForce 4 FX5200 (Using NVidia driver ver. 56.56)
80GB HDD

kindly help me with this and tell me what is the best thing to do to solve this problem...thanks in advance. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I read somewhere recently that this might be a Nvidia driver error, I can't remember where I saw that. Not too certain.
Check out the link below.

"Scenery read error"

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=312463

Radar

Sicnarf Guest

Thanks RadarMan! But do you think that it is possible that only the video card was the cause of the problem? And to think, the message was pointing the directory.."opening nonexistent directory"

Any other possible reasons and how to fix it. THANKS AGAIN!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It could be that the folder isn't there, didn't load.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=312463
The only way to check this out is to completely uninstall, hidden folders and the one in "My Computer" also to see if that will help.
You basically have to start with the easiest solution and work your way to the one with the most work, uninstalling.

Radar

Had another try today, but instead of doing a full install I did a compact install .Both Sims now appear to be working fine. I hope this works for you ,
Good luck

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Had another try today, but instead of doing a full install I did a compact install .Both Sims now appear to be working fine. I hope this works for you ,
Good luck

Odd that it should work that way but if it does the job that's fine, enjoy it now and thanks for telling us.
How problems are solved helps others. 👍

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...