Glideslope

Alan778 Guest

How do i prevent the plane rising and falling above or below the glideslope rapidly? I adjust sped accordingly but find my self chasing the pink indicator to get it to centre all the time until eventually the plane hits the ground before the rwy? i'm flying the 777 and approaching at around 160KIAS

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

You should start practicing ILS approaches in a smaller aircraft, if not a propellor aircraft.

Secondly, try and predict the movement of the aircraft relative to the centerline. If the horizontal indicator very slowly starts moving to the left for example, then its safe to say that it will go more and more to the left if your course is left unchanged. If it starts moving slowly, then make a tiny adjustment to center it again.

Thirdly, make sure you make small adjustments to control surfaces and wait a few seconds for the ending of the inertia of the aircraft and then make another movement if the first wasn't sufficient.

Fourthly, in a heavy aircraft, maintaining a certain speed on approach (especially if you are using autothrottle) then you should use pitch to try and maintain the glideslope.

Fifthly, try using the Visual Glideslope Path. (Click ALT, go to Aircraft and find Visual Flight Path and enable it, ticking the boxes and making sure you have the ILS frequency tuned correctly, selecting the altitude in the box that corresponds with your current altitude on the glideslope. This will help you visualise the glideslope and will demonstrate to you that only small movements are needed to get you back to the flight path.

I hope that helps 😉

Pro Member Trainee
mcmxl Trainee

Do you have the flaps set to 25-30%? Are you keeping track of your trim? If you have every thing else good you should be able to stay relativly close to the glideslope by just putting the throttle up or down accordingly. Most of the time for me when I undershoot it is because my speed is to low.

Dave46 Guest

What is the trim actually used for? And how do you use it? I have this similar glideslope probelem.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Dave46 wrote:

What is the trim actually used for? And how do you use it? I have this similar glideslope probelem.

A tim tab is a piece of the elevator (built into it) on the trailing edge, that acts as a sort of secondary elevator that relieves pressure on the yoke from the pilot. Its used so that pilot doesn't have to keep constant pressure on a control surface controller.

If you are on the glideslope, and you are finding you are having to keep pulling your joystick back because the nose drops, and you have a constant back force, then applying some backward trim would mean that you could almost let go of the yoke (joystick) and it would hold the position nicely. Trim won't be the cause of your problems, unless it exceeds usual minima for approach, but it can certainly help. The stab trim indicator can usually be found in the cockpit main screen.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

You should start practicing ILS approaches in a smaller aircraft, if not a propellor aircraft.

That's the best advice. Practice in a Cessna 182. Maybe take a lesson through Rod Machado's instrument section.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...