ILS landings and ADF?

Speedbird895 Guest

Hello, I just have som questions

1. Do real world pilots land using the ILS or do they land manually? And is autolanding and landing with ILS the same thing?

2. Where can I get ADF frequencies for different airports?

/thx

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

1. ILS is a guidance system, which can be used by the autopilot to bring the plane to the ground. It tells the pilots how high/low they should be and how left/right they should be.

2. Aren't the ADF frequencies on approach plates and on the "map" function on FS?

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

earthqu8kes
First Officer

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:15 am Post subject:
i did my year long school report on the ils system and how it works

these are some very helpful and informative links:

http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/ILS.htm

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

Speedbird895 Guest

cheechm wrote:

1. ILS is a guidance system, which can be used by the autopilot to bring the plane to the ground. It tells the pilots how high/low they should be and how left/right they should be.

2. Aren't the ADF frequencies on approach plates and on the "map" function on FS?

Ok, I see. So autolanding isn't available in fs2004? But thanks anyways, really appreciate it 😀

And I looked in the map, it's the NDB's right? Because I tried it and the ADF indicators arrow pointed towards the NDB.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Speedbird895 wrote:

Ok, I see. So autolanding isn't available in fs2004? But thanks anyways, really appreciate it 😀

Effectivley "Approach" on the autopilots works as autoland, but when you are at about 1000 ft AGL you should fly manually, because it doesn't flare etc. . .

Speedbird895 Guest

Btw,

great reading earthqu8kes, very helpful!

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Speedbird895 wrote:

Btw,

+1

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Speedbird895 wrote:

Hello, I just have som questions
1. Do real world pilots land using the ILS or do they land manually? And is autolanding and landing with ILS the same thing?
2. Where can I get ADF frequencies for different airports?
/thx

1. Real pilots do both based on weather conditions. Auto land uses the ILS but the ILS is not auto land. The normal ILS won't land the aircraft, it's designed to get the aircraft to a position that the pilot can see the runway environment and land visually. Normally no lower than 200 feet above the ground and 1/2 statue mile from the runway. Auto land is only accomplished on certain CAT III ILS runways and only by aircraft and crews that are specially certified to utilize auto land.

2. An NDB(the beacon that the ADF uses) can be located almost anywhere, it's only sometimes at or near a airport. The frequencies can be determined in MAP mode.

Pro Member First Officer

Speedbird895 wrote:

Btw,

cheechm wrote:

Speedbird895 wrote:

Btw,

+1

thnks guys. these re the most helpful on the web. 😀 😀 😀

Pro Member First Officer

stupid sticky "a" key. Evil or Very Mad

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...