Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Joystick (newbie)

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:23 am 

Hi,

I wil buy FSX, but witch joystick I should take: "Logitech® Extreme™ 3D Pro" or "Logitech® Force™ 3D Pro". Because I can't play the demo verry well with a keybord.

Greetings
Alex The Guest

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:54 am 

I gots the Extreme, and it's awesome although i do want to upgrade to a force-feedback stick, preferebly Logitech
Flyer4000

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:03 pm 

I use to use a logitech Joystick, but gave up on it. I can't remember the model name of it, but it had force feedback. However even after caliberating the Joystick the aircraft went all over the place. I either had a dodgy Joystick or it did'nt like Flight sim much. However the stick performed perfectly on other Joystick based games.
I ditched the Logitech then bought a Saitek Cyborg Evo and it performs really well with Flight Sim. However the cyborg I own does not have force feedback, but that don't bother me.

I'm not trying to claim all Logitech Joysticks are rubbish, but I was just stating that I had a bad experience with one.
omgttfs
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:31 pm 

My Saitek X52 is the ducks nuts. I don't think there's another flight controller out there that even comes close.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 pm 

Thanks for the replys, but are the "Saiteks" for sale in Belgium??
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:23 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the replys, but are the "Saiteks" for sale in Belgium??

I'm pretty sure. Arrow http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_products_list&mid=2&smid=19

They seem to be a Belgian company, at least they conduct their business from Belgium.

If you need clarification on anything, they are very good at replying to e-mails. Very Happy
GoodisonBlue
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:59 am 

I bought the Logitech feedback stick and have 2 problems with it

a. As discussed in another thread, it initially pulls to the right for me on a take off unless you make big efforts to counter balance that before starting your engine.

b. The switch on the stick that is supposed to be used as a throttle only opens your engines up to about 65 % when fully pressed up. . I spent the first week of my time with fsx wondering why I was struggling to gain height ! I had to assign two other buttons for throttle increase/decrease in the end
fsguy

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:03 pm 

i had the same problems with a logitech force feedback controller. it only malfunctions on flight sim, and its always with the throttle only going to about 65% as someone else said, and the twist function was horribly off even after calibration. it always tends to drift to the right, and it really screws up planes, and even more so helicopters. i plan on getting a new joystick so that i can rid myself of this problem
astrosteve
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:27 pm 

I just bought the SaiTek AV8R-01. It's really nice!!!! Nice toggle switches and Off/A/B switch. Dual Throttle Control. Just all around smooth.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:18 am 

omgttfs wrote:
My Saitek X52 is the ducks nuts. I don't think there's another flight controller out there that even comes close.

How quickly things change. Seen this one?

http://www.saitekusa.com/USA/prod/x52pro.htm
mat3329
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:02 pm 

Yeah the Saitek X-52 is just purely insane, I've been wanting to buy it for a really long time. Currently using a Microsoft Force Feedback 2, little old but still works like a charm and does the job. So I'll stay content with that for now until I find a wife good enough to buy me the X-52 lol!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:03 am 

Find one that buys you the "PRO" instead. ... and the pedals Yes

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:06 am 

GoodisonBlue wrote:

a. As discussed in another thread, it initially pulls to the right for me on a take off unless you make big efforts to counter balance that before starting your engine.

b. The switch on the stick that is supposed to be used as a throttle only opens your engines up to about 65 % when fully pressed up. . I spent the first week of my time with fsx wondering why I was struggling to gain height ! I had to assign two other buttons for throttle increase/decrease in the end

you can center the stick in FSX, and tune the throttle for max movement.
shirke01
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:41 am 

Im Looking into buying one of the following joysticks HOTAS Cougar,Saitek X52 Pro, and CH Fighterstick. does anyone have any experience using following joysticks.I am not sure which is the best joysticks out there.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:06 pm 

get a paddle too
shirke01
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:40 am 

There are so many joysticks out there, that it's hard to tell which ones are really best but im going to choose on of above i mention
mat3329
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:57 am 

Anonymous wrote:
GoodisonBlue wrote:

you can center the stick in FSX, and tune the throttle for max movement.

I think it's just a matter of calibrating your joystick in the windows Control Panel....you can also do it from FSX itself and save your settings.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:08 am 

hey guys, just wondering... in FS 2004, it was like impossible to fly almost all planes with the keyboard... is it the same for X.... or have they made it easier for VERY novice people like myself? i am getting the game later today.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:15 am 

It's got nothing to do with whether you're a novice or not. Without at least a joystick with a twist handle for the rudder, you'll be struggling forever and never be able to immerse yourself and enjoy the game.

I've never even tried to fly with the keyboard and mouse only and I don't intend to. It's worth the extra few bucks to get a joystick.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:22 am 

Anonymous wrote:
hey guys, just wondering... in FS 2004, it was like impossible to fly almost all planes with the keyboard... is it the same for X.... or have they made it easier for VERY novice people like myself? i am getting the game later today.

Download and print this out. A joystick is better.

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1333/fsx-controls-keyboard-commands/

Radar
cmossey
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 pm 

Can anyone recommend the best joysticks for FSX? Ones with throttle control?
Brickwall132
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 am 

Ya I also have the X52 and I love it, although it doesn't work very well with Vista, I also cant get the slider on the throttle to work for the spoilers.
ianstephens
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:47 pm 

I posted an article here reviewing some great joysticks:
http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4684/

Feel free to comment on the article over there.

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum