Computer freezes up

When I launch flight sim, the computer freezes up instantly. Microsoft can't seem to help. I've tried 50 thing they recommend to no avail. Now I know what people mean when they say they are going back to 2004. Please help.

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

When did you last upgrade your GFX drivers?

Is this the first time it happened?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did it ever run, if yes then delete the log file and try again.
What are your system specs, they must be low.

Radar

Thanks for the fast replies! It ran, but every time I touched the throttle controls, the engines died. They had to be re-started. (plane crashed). I have a dual core 4400, Gt7900nvidea, with 2gig ram. What's the log file? Thanks again.

How do I update the gtx drivers?

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the fast replies! It ran, but every time I touched the throttle controls, the engines died. They had to be re-started. (plane crashed). I have a dual core 4400, Gt7900nvidea, with 2gig ram. What's the log file? Thanks again.

Now I completly deleted and re-installed the game to no avail.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Then it's not the log and it's not your system, they are very good.

Does that happen on all aircraft. Freezing and stalling are two entirely different problems.
Lower your slides and try the default DC-3.
Radar

I can't get that far. It freezes up before I can enter a flight. Now it also reads, 'completing setup: generating scenery file indexes....." every time I launch. That alone takes 2-4 minutes. It never did that before either. I'm going insane.

My computer freezes up anyway with or without flight sim installed. It takes about a half-hour, but with flight sim launched, it does it right away. Thanks guys.

And I'm running vista.

I will Paypal $25 to anyone who can fix this. I'm serious.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

When was the last time you defragged your HDD?

How much free space do you have left on your HDD?

I have 85% left.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I have 85% left.

That could be the beginning of the problem. In order to execute an effective 'defrag' you require a minumum of 75% free space.
Burn some of the larger files on your HDD you don't need on to CDs to free up space. Then do a defrag:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter -- click on Defragment. This could take a while, be patient.

After that, print out this page and follow it to the letter: http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

Now you're ready to download more recent Drivers. ➡ http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Before you install the new Drivers, do a System Restore, accessible in System Tools as above.

NOTE: To get the best results when defragging, you should turn programs that run in the background off, including your anti-virus program, which means you have to switch off your modem while doing this.
Once finished, the first thing to do is to re-activate your anti-virus before you switch your modem back on.

No, I have 85% free space. Should I still do step #2? Thanks again.

I did the driver reload. Still freezes. What next. I havent been able to fly in 3 months.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Restore Windows XP then reload Vista upgrade or
Reinstall the full version of Vista if thats what you have.

It's the last resort but if your computer freezes when not using FS, you have a operating system problem/conflict. May be a conflict with some installed program but can't tell. Start all over and reload one program at a time allowing one day between installs to ensure no problems.

Sounds good. I will try that and let you know what happens. Thanks again, Jim

READ THE NVIDIA TUNING GUIDE

Lanza Guest

VISTA is your problem...dont surch any further

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...