FSX SP1 Fatal Error when Leaving Full Screen Mode

iapiap Guest

Dear All,

I have recently patched my copy of FSX deluxe with SP1. It all seems to work fine, loading a flight and flying it.

However, when I leave full-screen mode, say to change aircraft, change settings, use the save dialog box, or view the map, i get a Crash to Desktop, with the text "A fatal error has occured", and then restarts FSX.

This is really annoying, has anybody got any suggestions??

I am usinng Vista Home Premium with an X1400 from ATI (using Catylist drivers).

Many Thanks.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Did you get rid of your add-ons prior to installing SP1?

iapiap Guest

Yes, the Only add on i was using was world-of-ai, which I removed before installing FSX.

Is it possible it was not fully removed - could this be a cause??

I noticed this problem before I installed SP1, but it only happened infrequently, but now it happens every time.

Has anybody else got any suggestions?? Many thanks.

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

I had one add-on aircraft in FSX - the DC-9 (problems still unresoved - cannot use), and I forgot to remove it before installing SP1 , but glad to say, the SP1 seems to have been successful. A great improvement.

bobbyz Guest

Can't offer any solutions mate but I am getting the same probs. Seen a great perfromance increase with SP1 so I'm pretty happy but if I opened a saved flight where I'm at an airport and want to file a new flight plan,refuel, etc I often get a crash when I return to full screen. Have now resorted to creating flight plan, setting fuel at the main screen before I load the flight.

Strangly, if I actually complete a flight then want to fly onto another destination I can go to flight plan, fuel etc from the full screen and I don't seem to get a crash when I return to full screen.

As I say, I'm content to accept these probs at the mo because SP1 has had such a great effect on the perfomance of the sim but I would also be interested to know if anyone else has experienced any crashes like this.

I have found a work-around that does really help. Before you do anything like save, or change planes, or view the map, hit Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode. Then do what you want, eg view the map, and then Alt+Enter to get back to full screen mode.

Now I can enjoy the excellent performance of SP1 without the crashes.

Its not ideal, but much better. I hope this helps.

bobbyz Guest

Anonymous wrote:

I have found a work-around that does really help. Before you do anything like save, or change planes, or view the map, hit Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode. Then do what you want, eg view the map, and then Alt+Enter to get back to full screen mode.

Now I can enjoy the excellent performance of SP1 without the crashes.

Its not ideal, but much better. I hope this helps.

Nice one, that seems to work. Thanks very much 😀

Guest Guest

If you are running an ATI card and Catalyst software, under the 3D settings section, check the box to disable Catalyst A.I. This worked for me.

Pro Member Trainee
Nomad78100 Trainee

iapiap wrote:

I have recently patched my copy of FSX deluxe with SP1. It all seems to work fine, loading a flight and flying it.

However, when I leave full-screen mode, say to change aircraft, change settings, use the save dialog box, or view the map, i get a Crash to Desktop, with the text "A fatal error has occured", and then restarts FSX.

I am usinng Vista Home Premium with an X1400 from ATI (using Catylist drivers).

Many Thanks.

I just patched FSX deluxe with SP1 and I am getting the same thing as well. My system runs XP Professional 32 bit with an nVidia card.

-N

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...