Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

How to turn aircraft on the ground?

nutjackuk1966
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 pm 

How is it possible to turn an aircraft on the ground when taxiing without having to use the rudder?
Is it possible to mke the front wheel turn using keyboard instructions?
Thanks.
CRJCapt
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:49 pm 

nutjackuk1966 wrote:
How is it possible to turn an aircraft on the ground when taxiing without having to use the rudder?
Is it possible to mke the front wheel turn using keyboard instructions?
Thanks.

On the ground, the rudder and the nose wheel are interconnected. If you don't have a joy stick, stop and get one. The best way is to have rudder pedals. The next best way is to turn on auto rudder and use your (left/right) movement of your joy stick. You could also use the twist motion of your joy stick if you are so equipped but I never liked that. The last resort is to use the number pad(Num Lock-off), zero is left and enter is right. In my opinion, FS is useless without a joy stick.

PS Welcome to flyaway Cheers!
nutjackuk1966
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:43 pm 

Thanks for the prompt reply.
This answer is what I was expecting. The aircraft appear to be able to take corners very sharply like in real life, but I just thought there may be some easier way. I usully use the 'rudder pedals' or the 'twist' action on my joystick but I can carry on enjoying myself flying.
Regards. Nutjackuk1966
CRJCapt
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:17 pm 

Real aircraft have a small control on the captains side called a tiller. it provides greater nose wheel deflection than the rudder pedals. Rudder pedals normally only provide about 10 degrees of deflection, the tiller may have 60-70 degrees. The tiller is only used at slow speeds for sharp turns.
jellrod
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:57 pm 

Another trick is if you are in a multi-engine aircraft, use the tiller as well as differential thrust from the engine. Example, if you want to turn right, throttle up the left engine and it will assist in the smaller turn radius of the aircraft.
bounce741
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:44 pm 

Thats one thing that has bugged me about FS. The ground handling is absolutely terrible!!

I mean yea, its a 'flight' simulator, but surely it cant be that hard to get the aircraft to handle well on the ground??

The tiller is an old design now. Many aircarft have hydraulic nose wheel steering systems which reduce the turning circle greatly.
CRJCapt
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:41 am 

bounce741 wrote:
Thats one thing that has bugged me about FS. The ground handling is absolutely terrible!!

I mean yea, its a 'flight' simulator, but surely it cant be that hard to get the aircraft to handle well on the ground??

The tiller is an old design now. Many aircarft have hydraulic nose wheel steering systems which reduce the turning circle greatly.

The tiller is just the name(slang) for the control, it does control the hydraulic nose wheel steering.
paul2007
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:07 am 

you could also use the differential breaking i.e. break with the right wheels only to drag you round that way. using that and the left engine will turn you on a dime!
jellrod
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:41 pm 

jellrod wrote:
Another trick is if you are in a multi-engine aircraft, use the tiller as well as differential thrust from the engine. Example, if you want to turn right, throttle up the left engine and it will assist in the smaller turn radius of the aircraft.

It seems people don't read previously posted messages....
paul2007
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:45 pm 

jellrod wrote:
jellrod wrote:

It seems people don't read previously posted messages....

I meant inconjunction with your suggestion of engine control, it seems some ppl can't comprehend what written in front them Razz
jellrod
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:58 pm 

Let's not banter for one-upsmanship. Nutjack...was your question answered? Not everybody has foot pedals to use differential braking, and I havent found a keyboard command for tht. Can you tell me where it is?
nutjackuk1966
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:16 am 

Yes.
My question was answered to the extent I thought it could be, i.e. there does not appear to be keyboard commands to turn the nose wheel alone.
Thank you to everybody for their help in answering this query. The replies have been very much appreciated.
Regards,

Nutjackuk1966
bawls327
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:48 am 

yes there is because what if you dont have a joystick see so microsoft has to make keyboard commands to move it on ground. Which they are 0 and enter on your keypad.
oldsamer
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:21 pm 

Let me put on my flak jacket here. I play FSX with keyboard and mouse, happily (I'm used to it).

Some of it depends on the plane. For me, it's normally a tail drager, the cub or bird dog, so I can't see where I'm going anyway. I weave left and right to see where I want to go. Gives me lots of practice steering and occasionally I'll taxi into town. One thing I'll brag about is that I've learned which objects cause damage. I'm envious of AIs in general and FSX_GA_Traffic ai in particular because they can taxi THROUGH trees and buildings during their circular search for the active.

What I've done is re-assign some keyboard keys to control the rudder and steerable tailwheel. As so:
Rudder Yaw (left) = a
Flight controls (center) = s
Rudder Yaw (right) = d
Works for me.. while furiously rolling the mouse wheel for throttle and left button to brake!

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:48 am 

To turn with the steering wheel on the ground, the keyboard controls are :

ctrl + shift + u

that uses the auto-rudder function

for fsx.
belgeode
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 pm 

What's with all the necroposting? This thread is like 4 years old.
US AIR TALES- Stories of one man's virtual life as a pilot
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:54 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's the same guy. Some dude with a guest account, I can't figure out if he's oblivious or a troll.

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum