IT FINALLY HAPPENED

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

This morning I fired up my computer, checked my e-mail, studied the Fly Away forums, looked to see what today's Free Jazz down load was (didn't down load 'cause it was some female vocalist that I wasn't interested in), and then ran FSX. My usual routine. Then I started FSX and made a short flight from Seaside to Portland-Hillsboro, Oregon. After I ended the flight I went to Pilot Records, clicked on Logbook and that's where it all ended. I was unable to view the logbook, all I saw was my beautiful collection of medals and trophys. I could go no further - everything was locked up. So there was no choice but to press the old power button until it finally shut off. I waited a few minutes and pressed the button again. The computer came alive and booted up normally. Next I started FSX and the first screen appeared on my display - that was it. It just stared at me with that stupid hour glass sitting in the middle. After a few Ctrl/Alt/Delete and Task manager shut downs along with the proper error reports sent, I gave up. Nothing has been changed on my computer for days. The sim had been running quite nicely until this morning. Now the only thing wrong is FSX will not run. Everything else is ok. Any suggestions?
Regards ... Art

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
doubleb Trainee

1) have u installed any other program since you last had a successful flight?
2) have u chnaged any drivers?
3) how old is your pc? ( ie wot parts u have? )
4) so u have a firewall/anti virus installed?

i hope to help

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for your quick response.

1.) no new programs installed

2.) no new drivers

3.) born on May 7, 2007
Intel core duo E6300 1.6gHz (I know, i'ts too slow)
Windows XP pro SP2
4 GB ddr2 sdram (I know, it's too slow)
XFX nvidia 7950gt (it's good enough for now)
fsx sp1

4.) no firewall, Norton anti-virus, Yahoo anti-virus, and whatever
comes with xp (if anything)

FSX was installed the day I got the computer and have had little or no major problems until today. There are many repaints and add-ons installed, but none recently. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to keep my sense of humor. 😂
Regards ... Art

Pro Member Trainee
doubleb Trainee

i would try and reinstall fsx - i nkow its a long winded way but the only think i would do..

good luck!!!

edit - does any other game crash?? if so your psu might be on the blink 😞

Pro Member First Officer

Hi doubleb,

There are no other games on this computer. Flash, Photoshop, and other PSU intensive CAD programs run fine.

I forgot how, but I've seen where other folks have deleted the fsx config and it grows a new one when you run it the next time. That may be worth a try if I could remember where the config file is. Also isn't there some way to try a fix from the fsx disks? 😕

Regards ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Delete the log book.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

I would also try and do a system restore to an earlier point and see what happens.................IF it works, then somewhere from the time of your "restore point" TO where FSX crashed, then SOMETHING has changed on your pc...........................MS update, Firewall Update, drive update............but something...............Restore "will" at least tell you that something "has" changed and not necessarily FSX..........will save a lot of time reinstalling FSX, modifiying you .cfg files to the way you've had them, etc, etc.
Good luck,
cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

You don't need to reinstall or do a restore , etc. etc. Your logbook is hosed, that's all. I've used this program in the past to restore it. Just follow the simple instructions. Why FSX doesn't load with a corrupt logbook is beyond me.

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=98186

If that fails, yes then you need to delete the logbook.

Pro Member First Officer

Gentlemen (and Ladies),
My thanks to all who assisted me in solving this problem. The logbook recovery program did it. Everything is rosey again. I had a similar problem with the logbook in the past, early October I think, and someone from this forum directed me to that logbook recovery program. On that occasion the logbook simply dissappeared, but did not prevent me from running FSX. I don't get the connection between the logbook and such a fatal crash.
PTaylor, if you are reading this PLEASE take note. There is no excuse for such interdependent programming that would cause such a dramatic failure. Shame on you!
Thanks to all who helped me.
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

Glad I could help. I think they let some of the interns and perhaps janitor and a homeless guy code the logbook.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...