Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Stop Overspeed Warning

mogwwjd
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:46 pm 

How do I get rid of the overspeed warning. I am flying a 747-400 and cannot set the speed thing. I am a total beginner. Actually I get this with all the planes I fly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:09 pm 

As far as I know you can only get rid of the "brake" message.

Radar
Agus0404
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Location: Evora, Portugal. Hometown: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:31 pm 

What do you mean with "get rid of the overspeed warning"? You can get rid of it by lowering your speed. But you can't get rid of the message so it will never show up if you are in overspeed. Do you know what I mean?
The only way to get rid of the overspeed is to lowering your speed.

RadarMan said that you can get rid of the "brake" message. Well, if you took off and you forgot to set the Autobrake to "off" a "brake" message will show up. To get rid of it, just set your Autobrake to the off position.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:00 pm 

Many don't want to see these messages any longer.
This is what I meant.

How do I remove the brake message from the screen?

Add the following line to the (SIM) section of the f9.cfg file:

show_brake_message=0

Radar
Agus0404
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:33 pm 

I think it doesn't make any sense to get rid of the messages. But it's ok.
mogwwjd
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:04 pm 

I guess what I mean is the plan is telling me an overspeed when I'm at 400 knots but I know the plan can go 500. This is the 747-400. How do I increase the warning indicator.
tomthetank
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:06 pm 

Very Happy Remember the indicated speed is not you actual speed.The higher you go the faster you go,yet your indicated speed may stay the same

However if you want to hack the speed warning you can Hack
Open up the aircraft config file and edit the "max indicated speed"
There is a copy of the file here Arrow

http://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/3082/default-boeing-747/

Its about 1/2 waydown under [Reference Speeds]

You will loose the realisum by alering these values
However,I hope it helps
leadfoot
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:58 pm 

Remember, if you are at altitude I.E. 30,000"+ while your airspeed indicator may say you're going 350 kts, you are actually going a lot faster, like on the order of 500 kts+. The airspeed dial reads in indicated airspeed, not true airspeed. The airspeed indicator should be regarded as a instrument that reads aerodynamic pressure rather than airspeed. With that in mind, don't disable the alarm lest you find yourself in a FAST unrecoverable descent with no wings because you overstressed the airframe by going to fast.
Agus0404
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:23 pm 

Leadfoot, I have a question for you: Does the Mach speed tell the true? I mean if you are flying at Mach .81 you are really going at that speed, right?

Last edited by Agus0404 on Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total
jelami
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:03 pm 

Don't forget that there are speed limits up there. I don't usually fly those big rigs, but isn't it something like 350knots under 10,000 feet.
Thanks Mike
Agus0404
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:19 pm 

No no no no! Too fast Exclamation Under 10,000 feet, you have to fly at 250 knots.

Mmm, jelami, you made me think about something.... Think How can I know the speed limits up there, in the beautiful skies?
Fire_Emblem_Master
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:00 pm 

Ok, Let me sum it all up for you, in one, easy-to-understand lecture:

*Ahem*

Firstly, if you are a complete beginner, you should not be in the 747 trying to fly it. Go through the lessons, and read the Learning Center information, don't hack the game...and for that matter, this is a Simulation, not a game.

Ok, on to your question. Airspeed. By default, it is displayed in KIAS, or Knots Indicated Air Speed. Note the INDICATED part. This is a readout on the speed of the air over the wing, and, as you fly higher, the air is thinner, so you get a readout of a slower KIAS speed because of the thin air. So, you are correct, the 747 can fly at over 500 knots, but, not indicated. I dont think its ever possible to make it fly that fast in indicated.

This probably isnt going to make any sense because you havent learned about it in the lessons.

Ok, you "cant set the speed thing" Let me help you. On the panel, where you see the Attitude indicator, you'll see the speed tape, keep your speed below 250 KIAS at altitudes lower than 10,000. I should say, 250 KIAS is Speed Limit.

When you cruise, cruise at or higher than FL300. And then, check your Mach Number as well, the 747 cruises at Mach .85.

Most importantly, go back to the Cessna 172, go through the lessons, complete them, and slowly build up to the big iron. Believe me, I know what I am talking about.
leadfoot
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:30 am 

At altitude the mach meter is what you should go by, it tells the truth---to a point. .80 mach at 35000' is not the same as .80 mach at 10000'. That is due to the fact that the speed of sound slows down as you go higher. Mach 1 at sea level is roughly 740 mph, mach 1 at 35000 is closer to 660 mph. The best way to determine true airspeed is to know the pressure altitude and temp. of the air you're going through and use a flight computer to calculate your Tas. The next best way is to check your GPS for ground speed versus the winds aloft and direction at your position. The purpose of the mach meter is as follows----- any time you or any other object moves through the air, the air has to accelerate in order to get around you or the object, as you start getting relatively close to mach 1 like .7+ mach ,the air going around the plane has to accelerate to almost mach 1 to get around the plane. Unless the plane is well designed, you can't go much above .85 mach without having the airflow around the plane's wings or control surfaces going supersonic, hence to subsequent loss of control of the plane. So the mach meter also measures aerodynamic pressure, but it measures it relative to the speed of sound at what ever altitude you are at.
spuddi

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:37 pm 

a good rule of thumb for true airspeed is to increase your indicated airspeed by 2% multiplied by the flight level (altitude)

so if your at ground level and your airspeed indicator says 300knots then you're doing 300knots (and you're crazy)

if you're at 10,000ft (known as Flight level 10) and your airspeed indicator (KIAS) says 300knots then you work out that 2% of 300 is 6. So your true airspeed (TAS) is approx 360knots (300 + {6*10})

at fl30 (30,000ft) 300knots on the indicator takes you to 480knots true.

Its only a rule of thumb and changes when you get very slow and very fast and also very low and very high but it works quite well as a general rule.
PH

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:03 pm 

Just a slight correction 30000ft is FL300 not FL30 which would equate to 3000ft which is below the standard TA which would not be issued as aFL....in the UK.
I like the conversion for the TAS had not seen it before.
spuddi

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:03 pm 

yeah PH i missed a 0 on all my FL's, best not to do that for real.
Paiute
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:49 pm 

Just a slight "nit-pick" on one of the posts under this subject. Altitudes below 18,000 feet are not called "flight levels". Flight levels begin at 18,000 feet. An altitude of 10,000 feet would be called "one zero" thousand, rather than flight level FL 100. Wink

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum