Stop Overspeed Warning

Pro Member Trainee
mogwwjd Trainee

How do I get rid of the overspeed warning. I am flying a 747-400 and cannot set the speed thing. I am a total beginner. Actually I get this with all the planes I fly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

As far as I know you can only get rid of the "brake" message.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

What do you mean with "get rid of the overspeed warning"? You can get rid of it by lowering your speed. But you can't get rid of the message so it will never show up if you are in overspeed. Do you know what I mean?
The only way to get rid of the overspeed is to lowering your speed.

RadarMan said that you can get rid of the "brake" message. Well, if you took off and you forgot to set the Autobrake to "off" a "brake" message will show up. To get rid of it, just set your Autobrake to the off position.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Many don't want to see these messages any longer.
This is what I meant.

How do I remove the brake message from the screen?

Add the following line to the (SIM) section of the f9.cfg file:

show_brake_message=0

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think it doesn't make any sense to get rid of the messages. But it's ok.

Pro Member Trainee
mogwwjd Trainee

I guess what I mean is the plan is telling me an overspeed when I'm at 400 knots but I know the plan can go 500. This is the 747-400. How do I increase the warning indicator.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Remember the indicated speed is not you actual speed.The higher you go the faster you go,yet your indicated speed may stay the same

However if you want to hack the speed warning you can Hack
Open up the aircraft config file and edit the "max indicated speed"
There is a copy of the file here ➡

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/3082/default-boeing-747/

Its about 1/2 waydown under [Reference Speeds]

You will loose the realisum by alering these values
However,I hope it helps

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Remember, if you are at altitude I.E. 30,000"+ while your airspeed indicator may say you're going 350 kts, you are actually going a lot faster, like on the order of 500 kts+. The airspeed dial reads in indicated airspeed, not true airspeed. The airspeed indicator should be regarded as a instrument that reads aerodynamic pressure rather than airspeed. With that in mind, don't disable the alarm lest you find yourself in a FAST unrecoverable descent with no wings because you overstressed the airframe by going to fast.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Leadfoot, I have a question for you: Does the Mach speed tell the true? I mean if you are flying at Mach .81 you are really going at that speed, right?

Last edited by Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) on Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Don't forget that there are speed limits up there. I don't usually fly those big rigs, but isn't it something like 350knots under 10,000 feet.

Pro Member Chief Captain

No no no no! Too fast ❗ Under 10,000 feet, you have to fly at 250 knots.

Mmm, jelami, you made me think about something.... 🤔 How can I know the speed limits up there, in the beautiful skies?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Ok, Let me sum it all up for you, in one, easy-to-understand lecture:

*Ahem*

Firstly, if you are a complete beginner, you should not be in the 747 trying to fly it. Go through the lessons, and read the Learning Center information, don't hack the game...and for that matter, this is a Simulation, not a game.

Ok, on to your question. Airspeed. By default, it is displayed in KIAS, or Knots Indicated Air Speed. Note the INDICATED part. This is a readout on the speed of the air over the wing, and, as you fly higher, the air is thinner, so you get a readout of a slower KIAS speed because of the thin air. So, you are correct, the 747 can fly at over 500 knots, but, not indicated. I dont think its ever possible to make it fly that fast in indicated.

This probably isnt going to make any sense because you havent learned about it in the lessons.

Ok, you "cant set the speed thing" Let me help you. On the panel, where you see the Attitude indicator, you'll see the speed tape, keep your speed below 250 KIAS at altitudes lower than 10,000. I should say, 250 KIAS is Speed Limit.

When you cruise, cruise at or higher than FL300. And then, check your Mach Number as well, the 747 cruises at Mach .85.

Most importantly, go back to the Cessna 172, go through the lessons, complete them, and slowly build up to the big iron. Believe me, I know what I am talking about.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

At altitude the mach meter is what you should go by, it tells the truth---to a point. .80 mach at 35000' is not the same as .80 mach at 10000'. That is due to the fact that the speed of sound slows down as you go higher. Mach 1 at sea level is roughly 740 mph, mach 1 at 35000 is closer to 660 mph. The best way to determine true airspeed is to know the pressure altitude and temp. of the air you're going through and use a flight computer to calculate your Tas. The next best way is to check your GPS for ground speed versus the winds aloft and direction at your position. The purpose of the mach meter is as follows----- any time you or any other object moves through the air, the air has to accelerate in order to get around you or the object, as you start getting relatively close to mach 1 like .7+ mach ,the air going around the plane has to accelerate to almost mach 1 to get around the plane. Unless the plane is well designed, you can't go much above .85 mach without having the airflow around the plane's wings or control surfaces going supersonic, hence to subsequent loss of control of the plane. So the mach meter also measures aerodynamic pressure, but it measures it relative to the speed of sound at what ever altitude you are at.

spuddi Guest

a good rule of thumb for true airspeed is to increase your indicated airspeed by 2% multiplied by the flight level (altitude)

so if your at ground level and your airspeed indicator says 300knots then you're doing 300knots (and you're crazy)

if you're at 10,000ft (known as Flight level 10) and your airspeed indicator (KIAS) says 300knots then you work out that 2% of 300 is 6. So your true airspeed (TAS) is approx 360knots (300 + {6*10})

at fl30 (30,000ft) 300knots on the indicator takes you to 480knots true.

Its only a rule of thumb and changes when you get very slow and very fast and also very low and very high but it works quite well as a general rule.

PH Guest

Just a slight correction 30000ft is FL300 not FL30 which would equate to 3000ft which is below the standard TA which would not be issued as aFL....in the UK.
I like the conversion for the TAS had not seen it before.

spuddi Guest

yeah PH i missed a 0 on all my FL's, best not to do that for real.

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

Just a slight "nit-pick" on one of the posts under this subject. Altitudes below 18,000 feet are not called "flight levels". Flight levels begin at 18,000 feet. An altitude of 10,000 feet would be called "one zero" thousand, rather than flight level FL 100. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow simmer,

I understand your concern regarding the overspeed warning in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (FS2004). As a beginner, it's quite common to face such issues. No worries, I'm here to help you out!

First, let's understand what "overspeed" is. In simple terms, it means that the aircraft is flying faster than its structural limits or design speed. This warning is crucial, as flying at excessive speeds can cause structural damage to the aircraft. So, it's essential to maintain a safe and appropriate speed during your flight.

Now, let's discuss how you can manage the overspeed warning in FS2004:

1. For the 747-400 or any other aircraft, you can use the autopilot's speed hold feature. It's called IAS/Mach (Indicated Airspeed/Mach number) or SPD (Speed) hold in most aircraft. To engage this feature, press the CTRL+R key combination. After that, use the autopilot panel to set your desired speed, and the autopilot will maintain it.
  2. Another important aspect is to manage your throttle setting. You can use the F1 to F4 keys to adjust throttle levels, with F1 reducing power and F4 increasing it. Keep an eye on your speed indicator, and adjust the throttle accordingly to stay within safe speed limits.
  3. While climbing or descending, the aircraft's speed can change significantly. To avoid overspeeding during these phases, it's essential to adjust your vertical speed (VS) using the autopilot. Press the CTRL+Z key combination to enable VS mode, and then set an appropriate rate of climb or descent on the autopilot panel.
  4. Lastly, make sure to observe the aircraft's airspeed limitations, which can be found in the aircraft's documentation or by looking for the red and white striped lines (VMO/MMO) on the airspeed indicator. Staying below these lines will help you avoid overspeed warnings.

A few additional resources that might be helpful for a beginner like yourself are the FS2004 Learning Center, which can be accessed through the game's main menu, and the Fly Away Simulation forums (https://flyawaysimulation.com). These resources provide valuable information on various aspects of flight simming, including tutorials, tips, and advice from experienced simmers.

I hope this helps you tackle the overspeed warning issue. Remember, practice makes perfect! Keep experimenting with different aircraft and settings, and you'll soon be flying like a pro. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Happy flying! Very Happy

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...