Trying to install F-14D for FSX.

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Hey all,

I downloaded a Gruman F-14D (Fsxf14D2.zip), and I'm trying to figure out which part of the subdirectories go into FSX. Does anyone here have this download?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

post a link to where you got it from, and i'm sure folks here can help

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

cheezyflier wrote:

post a link to where you got it from, and i'm sure folks here can help

Got it here. Cheezy.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1776/fsx-grumman-f-14d-tomcat/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I just found that file n7xlq1 it's more that 85MB in size so I won't be downloading it especially because it's been uploaded in May and it says in the file description New DFX model in 4 months.

I'd be looking for an update or a more recent version at flightsim or avsim.

However, if you're hellbent on using this one, we could probably figure everything out 'by remote control' so to speak if you send us the included Readmes and if you know how to do it: Take a screenshot of the picture that's presented to you immediately after having unzipped the .zip file.
That gives us an idea what kind of folders and other bits and peaces have been included in addition to the actual aircraft folder and its contents.

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

I just found that file n7xlq1 it's more that 85MB in size so I won't be downloading it especially because it's been uploaded in May and it says in the file description New DFX model in 4 months.

I'd be looking for an update or a more recent version at flightsim or avsim.

However, if you're hellbent on using this one, we could probably figure everything out 'by remote control' so to speak if you send us the included Readmes and if you know how to do it: Take a screenshot of the picture that's presented to you immediately after having unzipped the .zip file.
That gives us an idea what kind of folders and other bits and peaces have been included in addition to the actual aircraft folder and its contents.

Hmm!, If there is a better F-14 than this one, then I'm all for it. The way I found this one was googling FSX+gruman+F-14 and that one was the first link that came up.

I dumped the .zip file to a temp directory, and there are couple of .txt files in the main sub directory I guess, and there was a couple of e-mails listed in them and I sent a note to one of the names, but I haven't heard back yet. But I'm guessing its not gonna work since who knows when this was made..

Edit: I found I think the next revised of the F-14. It's FSXF14D3.zip I think thats the new one.

Is that right Cheezy?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I 'think' it's Steve Hinson who uploads these Tomcats. He's pretty spot on and I don't think he'd be uploading it for FSX if it didn't work. He's done a lot of work on the F-14s in the past - he's the man.

I just had a look for an updated version but couldn't find one, might have missed it or there's a delay in the release. I can't see a reason why the one you've got wouldn't work though.

Have another look at those .txt files - you might find installation instructions there.

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

this is the one I have now. I belive its the newer one.

http://www.simviation.com/fsxmilitary9.htm

This one was easy to install, I just went to simobj\f-14 folder in the zip, and copied it over.. but some of the gauges don't work, or I still have stuff to do with it.

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

make sure the guages go in the guages folder and not with the model. maybe that is why they don't work (i dunno)
trust tailhook and radarman, those guys taught me and 1/2 the other guys here the ins and outs of installing stuff.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

n7xlq1 wrote:

This one was easy to install, I just went to simobj\f-14 folder in the zip, and copied it over.. but some of the gauges don't work, or I still have stuff to do with it.

Yeah the first one on that page seems to be the updated version. Did you see what it said in the file description? :

All DOCS have everything, SO READ THEM ALL! By Steve Hinson.

It's possible that there is a radar gauge which probably requires FSUIPC. These modern fighter aircraft are very complex and it takes time to install them properly.
Better check the docs. again 😀

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

n7xlq1 wrote:

Yeah the first one on that page seems to be the updated version. Did you see what it said in the file description? :

All DOCS have everything, SO READ THEM ALL! By Steve Hinson.

It's possible that there is a radar gauge which probably requires FSUIPC. These modern fighter aircraft are very complex and it takes time to install them properly.
Better check the docs. again 😀

The Radar is working the ones I'm not sure about is the HUD and other gauges in VC mode. I'll take another look at the zip to see if I can figure it out, unless someone wants to help me. Wink

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Well I guess I can't contact Steve Hinson, since I found a thread on here that said he passed away back in Oct.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

n7xlq1 wrote:

Well I guess I can't contact Steve Hinson, since I found a thread on here that said he passed away back in Oct.

I am sorry to hear that - it's news to me (been out of the loop for a while). That's a loss for the entire community. --

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

n7xlq1 wrote:

I am sorry to hear that - it's news to me (been out of the loop for a while). That's a loss for the entire community. --

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/30685/steve-hinson1956-2007/

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...