No touchdown smoke anymore! Help!

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Hey, I used to have touchdown effects but recently I noticed that the smoke doesn't appear anymore. What should I do to fix this?

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

In your Effects directory see if you still have: fx_tchdwn.fx -

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

No, I don't see it anymore. I must've replaced it when I was fiddling with the AI Aircraft sounds. Is there a place where I could download this effect again?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

your FS disc...

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Actually, today, I've downloaded a touchdown effect from a random site and put it in my FS Effects Directory. After a few testing, I've concluded that the smoke appears on some of the aircraft.

I've only tested 3 aircraft: the default B737-400, the COA B737-500 (POSKY maybe), and the POSKY COA B737-800.

Only the default B737-400 and COA B737-500 has touchdown effects.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

KevinTsai wrote:

Is there a place where I could download this effect again?

Yes, all you have to do is ask.

The first issue we'll have to clear up is that the Touchdown effects and the Smoke system are two different things all together.

All aircraft have the Touchdown effects, usually five in number such as in the default b737_400:

[EFFECTS]
wake=fx_wake
water=fx_spray
dirt=fx_tchdrt
concrete=fx_sparks
touchdown=fx_tchdwn, 1

The above is the original [EFFECTS] section in the aircraft.cfg of the default 737.
I've uploaded those effects and some notes to SendSpace here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dhja00

The [Smokesystem] is an entirely different kettle of fish because the placement of the smoke effects depends on the type of aircraft, how many engines it has and where the engines are located. In other words, one size does NOT fit all. The smoke effects are readily available but the entries in the aircraft.cfg differ from aircraft to aircraft.

Most payware aircraft have smoke systems already integrated; freeware aircraft have them sometimes, if not, they can be added by placing the smoke effect(s) into the effects directory and by editing the aircraft.cfg file accordingly.

I suggest you get your default Touchdown effects fixed first, everything you need is in the SendSpace folder. If you need help with the Smoke system at a later stage, just let me know. 😎

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I haven't downloaded the file in the Sendspace yet but what is concrete=fx_sparks?

Is that the one which has the smoke effects?

I've noticed in the POSKY models, the line read:

concrete=Opensky_sparks

If I changed that to the default, would that give smoke effects?

As far as I know, all aircraft, except POSKY, has concrete=fx_sparks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

KevinTsai wrote:

I haven't downloaded the file in the Sendspace yet but what is concrete=fx_sparks?

concrete=Opensky_sparks

Why do I bother?

You're obviously just messing around Wacko

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

KevinTsai wrote:

concrete=Opensky_sparks

Why do I bother?

You're obviously just messing around Wacko

Ok, I just installed the .fx files into the main effects folder and the code you sent me for the default aircraft into the POSKY B738WL aircraft.cfg. Gonna test it out now.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I tested the COA POSKY B738WL and it works! I see the smoke again on touchdown! No need for a smoke system. The touchdown smoke is all that I want to fix. Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

there you go... happy new year.

Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

hey tailhook could you reupload that again for me buddy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

honuala wrote:

hey tailhook could you reupload that again for me buddy

There you go First Officer 🙂)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ql5okp

I'll call you Sir once you start flying combat again Ha Ha

Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

oh okay and im in the rebirth of that started to get all my warbirds installed again so dont worry sir oh and thanks

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Tailhook, where do live? San Fransisco? you one of the dudes with a Dr.'s precrip for the green?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Elkinallen wrote:

Tailhook, where do live? San Fransisco? you one of the dudes with a Dr.'s precrip for the green?

...hmm... shall we say 'that's kinda classified'?
Last time I noticed your presence here you were off to the Nuremberg trials.. right? 🙂 During your absence some of us have greatly benefited from your labor of love about the contact points. Why this has never been made a Sticky is beyond my grasp. It's nice to see you back... don't go defecting now

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...