Slowing down Blackhawk Chopper in Flight ???

Pro Member Trainee
hasselerd Trainee

Hi, Does anyone know how to slow a Blackhawk down In Flight. I can only reduce the throttle and lift the nose but that takes me up and takes forever slowing the chopper down (consiquently flying way over the landing point, loosing control, going into a spin, crashing and killing everyone!!!) I can't seem to find any control assignment in the settings menu !!! Can anyone please help, Rest of the flying is great but I'd love to be able to land !!! Many Thanks...

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Llain First Officer

Hi you are doing everything right to slow down.
Is this a payware or a freeware aircraft, it sounds like the aircraft is not modeled right if it takes a long time to slow down.
I always use payware aircraft as i find them to be modeled alot better, freeware are just crap not worth the download time.

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

I don't think there are any choppers with air brakes and reverse thrusters....so yip, thats how ya do it!!! 😉
And with the crashing...well practice makes perfect 😀
(for a really short landing: land on the side of a mountain)

Pro Member Trainee
hasselerd Trainee

many Thanks, will look into the payware aircraft.....and Warlord40, believe me I've had a few short landings on the side of mountains already 😕

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

LOL!!! I'll have to stand at the bottom, and watch the fireworks 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Plan ahead, don't overcorrect!

And smooth control inputs... 10 degrees nose up is a lot! Use Small control inputs and small bank angles over longer periods of time; you've gotta be patient.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hahaha... damn choppers Wall Bashing

But wait a minute... haven't there been claims aplenty that chopper flying has been made easier in FSX?

FWIW... the Gentlemen who have already responded are spot on. One aspect that hasn't been mentioned but helped me a lot (though this is exactly contrary to the prescribed procedures) -- don't use your rudder AT ALL.

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

I concur. You're doing everything right. Unfortunately, with the bigger helicopters, agile though they might be, they take a bit of time to slow down. Plan ahead, as you would in the descent & approach phase in an airliner, because momentum takes a while to bleed off.
One of the most agile helos I ever used was a Gazelle in FS9 and it would literally stop on a sixpence! But the Gazelle is a small, light aircraft.
One of my current favourites is the EH101 Merlin on the Acceleration package. Again, it's a big, heavy thing and a real challenge to hover and land, but good fun.
Practice makes perfect. Have fun!

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Another thought...
Don't think of the throttle control as engine power. With a helicopter sim the throttle is the Collective control, which affects how much lift you're demanding from the rotor, so you're not altering engine power, you're altering the angle of the rotor blades and therefore how much lift is available. It adds up to pretty much the same thing one way or another, but there are subtle differences.
It's where you point your nose that determines where you go in a helo (with exceptions).
PM me if you have any questions. I've flown sim helicopters a hell of a lot and can even land them drunk!!! (Although it takes longer). 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...