Take-off

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello pilots! I'm a bit curious. Some people take-off and climb 20 degrees nose up. And then, after they reach 1000ft they lower the nose to 10 degrees and so on.
Now, other people don't use that method. They just climb 10 degrees nose up and maintain it for a while and then they lower the nose 5 degrees and so on.
Which method is correct? I use the first one. And I read that real pilots do that in real life. But I'm not really sure if the other method is true or false.
Can someone tell me something about that?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Depends entirely on the aircraft you're using, because in the concorde, people have gotten frustrated at it because it doesnt climb at 20 degrees, it does at more like 35. I dont use the degrees usually, I go by my climb rate, which works well enough for me seeing is how i fly a wide range of jets.

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

Depends very much on the airport noise regs, and how your a/c fits them as well. You'll find you climb out of places like Zurich (and many others) at a higher rate than say, Sydney for instance.

On the other hand, I remember working in Vietnam for a while, and in the early nineties coming from BKK, the AF jumbo had to do an almost zero G descent once over the cambodian border, for not so obvious reasons... So there's many reasons for different approach/TO configs. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ok, thanks guys! I knew this, but I was just wondering which one was right.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

heh, suuuure you did. 😛

PH Guest

Pitch attitudes on TO are to maintain speed ie V2 V2+10 etc. So you don't just rotate to a certain degree. This is usually 15-20* as everyone has said. At 1500ft AGL acceleration alt lower the nose to accelerate to 250kts retracting the flaps on schedule. As suggested it is a difficult one to answer as lots depend on SOP's, noise abatement and aircraft.
This was funny.....my local airport used to get a fair bit of military aircraft taking troops here, there and everywhere. They used a VC10 yes VC not DC. They have 4 low bypass jets on the tail F100 style. Very very noisy! Anyway ops director requests they go quietly, not use full power! as it was night and the villagers at the end of the runway few miles away complain about noise....guess what the crew did not listen insteadflew the runway at about 50 feet after TO and then climbed steeply.
Fact being if they had not used full power they would have been over the area for longer as they would be slower and not much difference in noise.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

My approach is similar to PH's view - I climb according to a Speed profile rather than a set Degree of Nose up. I find that planes that have a "Speed" mode within the Autopilot (not to be confused with Speed mode within an AutoThrottle), are best planes for managing a good climb because the 'nose up' degree adjusts automatically to maintain a preset speed... So you can adjust the speed as PH as said above, and the climb rate will be one that maintains that speed.

None of the FS default planes have A/P SPEED mode but it comes in most commercial add-ons as it's used a lot in Airliners in the real world - especially Turbo-props, such as the Dash 8 or Regional Jets such as the CRJ.

I suppose as long as you climb without stalling you're fine whatever method you use but I like to simulate real procedures.

Pro Member Chief Captain

PH wrote:

Pitch attitudes on TO are to maintain speed ie V2 V2+10 etc. So you don't just rotate to a certain degree. This is usually 15-20* as everyone has said.

Hmmmm, I didn't understand you. Could you please explain this to me again?

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

What PH means is that the degree of climb is such that it maintains a specific speed.

V2 is the speed that an Aircraft takes-off.....

V2+10 is a typical climb speed that is based around the V2 speed, plus 10kts safety margin.

PH is a real life pilot so may want to add more.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks GPS-Kid! It's clear now.
I read again LH's post and I understood it.
Thanks again!

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Being a real pilot I'm sure that there are established V speeds on the heavys as well as the GA craft. Vx is best angle of climb speed-- always slower than best climb speed. Vy is best climb rate speed. I would assume that for noise abatement procedures the pilots would set up for Vx climb to designated alt, then nose down for Vy. Best angle of climb means getting the most alt. vs distance travelled, best climb is getting the most alt. vs time elapsed.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...