Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Windows 7

Heyjoojoo
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:14 am 

Anyone heard anything in regards to Windows 7 and FSX? I thought 7 was the same as Vista but apparently it is not.
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:26 am 

My understanding is that windows 7 is basically windows vista under the hood, except it's been reworked a bit to run better. I'm pretty sure FSX will work just fine... Very Happy
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:45 am 

Inside the jungle of rumours I find most intriguing the following:

Microsoft gives more details on Windows 7 XP Mode

As we discussed earlier this week, Microsoft is going to use desktop virtualization technology from its Virtual PC software to help Windows 7 users run programs that operate fine within Windows XP but not in Windows Vista or Windows 7. Instead, they could run these applications within their Windows 7 environment by installing them inside a Windows XP virtual machine, a process being dubbed "Windows XP Mode." This XP Mode sounds like it is going to operate in a similar manner to the technology found in VMware Unity or Parallels Coherence.

Information early on about the XP Mode technology was sparse. So after reading a few e-mail letters from readers, I asked Scott Woodgate, director of Desktop Virtualization and Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) at Microsoft, to clarify a few points and provide a bit more detail around the subject.

For the complete article: http://www.infoworld.com/d/virtualization/microsoft-gives-more-details-windows-7-xp-mode-960

As usual, we will know the truth once the product is on the shelf. My take, if Windows7 can emulate XP in a satisfactory manner, FSX will run just fine... who gives a damn about DX10 anyway... besides, if push comes to shove, there's always FS9 - the best all-around MSFS to date Ha Ha
fasteddie60
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:34 pm 

Hello,

I upgraded my Vista PC to Windows 7. FSX will come up and run ok, but I cannot get my CH Flight Sim yoke or my CH Pro Pedals to work on FSX. Windows 7 says they are compatable and when I pull up Control Panel, they are there and it says they are working. The yoke and pedals worked just fine with Vista, so I am really confused here. FSX says they are not present in the controls window, only a "mouse yoke". Can someone out there tell me what I am doing wrong. By the way, I have the latest drivers loaded.

Thanks,
Michael_H
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:00 am 

I have been running Windows 7 RC for a couple of weeks and just got around to installing FSX a couple of days ago. No addons or anything moved over because I am building a new system next week and don't want to waste a lot of time doing everything twice.

W7 found my sidewinder P2 Joystick no problem.

But briefly W7 is far leaner, faster, and better in every way than the cludgy Windows vista(which I never bought). Have been using XP and linux.
I will buy W7 when the RC expires.

Using the out of the box DirectX 11 and the nvidia 185.85 drivers I tested FSX for about an hour and feel it runs better in Windows 7 than XP. Seems to be smoother and better image quality on the same hardware. Like I said, I didn't spend much time with it, but enough to know that XP is going the way of the Dodo bird.

Here it is if anyone wants to try it..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/home
fasteddie60
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:33 pm 

Good news...found out by just removing the CH Products Manager and allowing Windows 7 to find the drivers for the yoke and pedals, all is working fine.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:50 am 

Michael_H wrote:
I have been running Windows 7 RC for a couple of weeks and just got around to installing FSX a couple of days ago. No addons or anything moved over because I am building a new system next week and don't want to waste a lot of time doing everything twice.

Michael you didn't mention whether you're running 32- or 64-Bit Umm...
Michael_H
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:59 am 

Michael you didn't mention whether you're running 32- or 64-Bi

Sorry Chief,

32 bit...

I've got all my parts for the new build here and hope to get time to put it together this week. when I get FSX installed and tuned up I will post again after I see how it looks with the GTX 260
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:03 am 

Looking forward to hearing the verdict and am sure I'm not the only one.

PS: Like yourself, I never bothered with Vista though they made me buy the disk... this audacious coercion is what started the financial global downturn I'm sure Devil
fasteddie60
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:57 pm 

Just a side note...I have a 32bit machine, AMD dual core 3.0ghtz processor and 2 gbyte memory, with a Nvidia 8800 Alpha Dog video card. I have FSX with the acceleration pack and it is running quite well on Windows 7.
Michael_H
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:58 pm 

Michael you didn't mention whether you're running 32- or 64-Bit[/code]

TailHook, I will probably download the 64 bit version for the new build, just so all of my 4 gigs of memory is available...MH
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:37 am 

That's why I asked -- I heard of some guys running W7 64 with 8 Gigs of RAM... does that sound right to you?
Michael_H
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:50 am 

That's why I asked -- I heard of some guys running W7 64 with 8 Gigs of RAM... does that sound right to you?

Yes it does Chief...

But here is a brief and general explanation I got from a friend of mine who knows this stuff inside out. He was responding to my question regarding memory availability in Windows 7 64bit.

The question at this time is not how much RAM a 64 bit Windows 7 OS can use (8 terabytes in theory), it's how much RAM your motherboard supports. Probably 8 Gigs Max on a consumer grade board.

A 32 bit program (as most games are) in 64 bit Windows can only use 2 Gb of memory (total virtual memory space) unless it's compiled (done by the linker during the process) to make use of a special flag, IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE, and then it can address 4 Gb in a 64 bit OS.

A 64 bit game in theory could address as much as you have, but I highly doubt there's anything on the market right now that would.

The benefits of having large amounts of memory is not that any single program is going to use it at this time, but having memory available for running multiple programs simultaneously, and caching to avoid disk i/o.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 am 

That answers a few questions, thanks for that Michael. The mobo part should be obvious.
The bottom line then, despite FS being a 32 bit game, a huge amount of RAM would be beneficial as it wouldn't impact the performance of the sim while simultaneously downloading large files or transcoding or burning a disk for example.
With my current setup XP Pro, 4Gig RAM and a CPU which is only a CPU by name Evil or Very Mad I really have to juggle my tasks.
Michael_H
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:33 am 

4Gig RAM and a CPU which is only a CPU by name

Which CPU do you have Chief? Is it 64 bit?

I think you will really like W7.
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:20 am 

Michael_H wrote:
4Gig RAM and a CPU which is only a CPU by name

Which CPU do you have Chief? Is it 64 bit?

I'm not telling... way too embarrassing. (32 bit)

After all the helpful advice you gave me more than a year ago I did a very silly thing - went and bought a DILL

Nuff said.

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum