Is this all I get?

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I put together a new system, Intel Core2 Quad (2.5GHzx4), 4 GB Ram,
NVidia 9400 GT 512 mb video card. 6-9 frames per second at Ultra High settings, 9-12 frames per second at High settings. What type of config
can give me 24 frames at ultra high? I only installed FSX, no add-ons yet....

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The Quad is not FSX friendly. Forget your ultra high settings.
The most frustrating part, the default FSX scenery looks like the desert. You buy scenery and are told to turn up all kinds of settings to display that new add-on properly. You do that and it brings FSX to its knees.

Pro Member Trainee
DIMITRIOSCOOL Trainee

Can i give you a suggestion?

Sell FSX on ebay or to a friend or something and buy FS9, i installed mine on a quad with lower specs than yours and with ultra high setting i can get 55 fps while flying the biggest fps hog of all the pss 757. Occasionally i have reached 120 fps ( i dont lock fps just for the fun of it).

Regards
Dimi

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

IMHO, msFS_X frame rate (FPS) is largely limited by the gross number of objects that have to be re-drawn between every frame. I get higher FPS flying west of Victoria TX where forestation gives way to scrub lands than around Orange TX in the big piney when "Scenery complexity" and "Autogen density" are set to Extremely dense (maxed). Of all the settings "Global texture resolution" has the greatest impact on FPS because it determines how distant from the point of view objects begin to be drawn. I'm playing on a faster computer than that detailed with STILL the best video card for msFS_X. But only experience smooth 19 to 22 FPS when Global texture resolution is set down to Medium.

Bottom line is 24 FPS isn't possible at Ultra High settings. Here's what I play on and the best settings for how I play (low and slow).

FSX Sp2 & Ultimate terrain-X USA on winXp Sp3
intel E8400 3ghz processor (core 2 duo)
intel G31 I/O chipset
2gb corsair 800mhz ram
nvida 8800gtx 768mb
GRAPHICS
Target frame rate 20
1680x1050x32
Filtering Bilinear
Anti-aliasing checked
Global texture resolution Medium
Advanced animations checked
AIRCRAFT
Default cockpit view 3-D virtual cockpit
Show cockpit ToolTips not checked
Hi-res 3-D cockpit checked
2-D panel transparency 0%
Aircraft casts shadows.. checked
SCENERY
Level of detail radius Large (maxed)
Mesh complexity 100 (maxed)
Mesh resolution 1m (maxed)
Texture resolution 7m (maxed)
Water effects none
Land detail textures checked
Scenery complexity Extremely dense (maxed)
Autogen density Extremely dense (maxed)
Ground scenery shadows checked
Special effects detail Medium
WEATHER
Cloud draw distance: 70mi / 112km
Thermal visualization none
Simple clouds
Rate at which weather.. Medium
TRAFFIC
Airline traffic density 0%
General aviation traffic 100%
Airport vehicle density Maximum
Show aircraft labels not checked
Road vehicles 100%
Ships and ferries 100%
Leisure boats 100%

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Do you have your computer to run more than one ( core ).

Do not use DirectX 10 in SIM.

Start FSX, alt -tab out to desktop, right click taskbar, task manager,
FSX exe should be highlighted and right click on the exe, left click on
set Affinity, check the box CPU 0, 1 click OK and go back into FSX sim. Check to see if you have FPS improvement.

My sys is similar to yours, but faster processor 3.0.

My setting are, Custom Graphics, Aircraft Med High, Scenery and Weather Ultra High, Traffic Med High.

FPS 35 to 45 ALT 6,000 FPS increase from that point up. 25 to 35 over most cities. The only city that I have flown into the dropped my frame rates below 20 is Tokyo. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I don't know how many cores it was running, I'll check that later. But how do I not use DirectX 10 and why? Do I have the choice?

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

nottobe wrote:

I don't know how many cores it was running, I'll check that later. But how do I not use DirectX 10 and why? Do I have the choice?

Under custom settings on the right you will see preview DX-10 don't check that box.

You can try it out if you like but you'll want to switch back after a look.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

OK I got the reason, only one of the 4 cores is working asss offf, all other
3 cores are just sleeping, 0%!!!
and in Affinity all cores are checked....
How do I get these cores to work?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

nottobe wrote:

OK I got the reason, only one of the 4 cores is working asss offf, all other
3 cores are just sleeping, 0%!!!
and in Affinity all cores are checked....
How do I get these cores to work?

You have to have SP1 and SP2 installed.
If you get the Acceleration pack it contains both patches.
I'm talking FSX patches not OS upgrades.
SP2 is the one that activates all cores, but you have to have SP1 installed first.

http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/default.aspx

Radar

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

thanks guys... Now it works pretty good. I set more than ultra by sliding autogen all the way to the right, but moving water effects to 2.0 low. Now I can get 25-30 fps....... but not sure what happens after i install addons...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...