Jets-Takeoff Throttling

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

OK, through trial and error I've found the best way to control FS jet takeoffs is: after rotation, throttle almost all the way back about 75% and let speed dissipate to my initial climbout speed, whereupon I engage autothrottle. This seems to be the best way to keep from rocketing to the moon on takeoff.

I'd like to hear if this is close to proper flying, or how it's performed in real world.

Any sources I can read/watch?

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

I believe you leave TO thrust on until about 1500 feet AGL (or is it 3000?), then throttle back to climb thrust. Immediately after takeoff you control your airspeed with attitude (I.E. Pitch the nose up to control your airspeed.)

The F.S. default aircraft autopilot sucks hard... I wouldn't use it until you've got a constant V/S you can set it to maintain.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Yes, Traches is right. You will have the necessary power to takeoff (not usually 100% N1) which is usually derated to some extent.

You leave this power setting until around 1500ft where you can reduce you rate of ascent and let the speed build.

Control your speed with pitch, rotate gently to a speed about V2 + 10.

Try a lower power setting on the take off roll...perhaps about 85-92% depending on the aircraft and the prevailing conditions.

You should maintain takeoff thrust until 1000ft above aerodrome elevation and then reduce pitch, reduce thrust and accelerate. The 3000ft question used by Tranches relates, I believe, to NADP1, in which you will still reduce thrust at 1000ft, but you won't accelerate, which means less thrust and less noise.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow aviation enthusiast,

You've raised an interesting question regarding jet takeoffs and throttle management. While you've discovered a method that works for you in the flight simulator, it may not necessarily mirror real-world aviation procedures. Let me provide some insights into how pilots manage throttles during the takeoff phase.

In actual aviation, takeoff procedures are carefully planned and executed based on various factors such as aircraft type, weight, runway length, weather conditions, and performance calculations. This ensures a safe and efficient departure.

Typically, pilots follow these steps during takeoff:

1. Thrust Set: Throttles are advanced to the takeoff thrust setting, which is often either TOGA (Takeoff/Go-Around) or a calculated reduced thrust setting (known as Flex or Assumed Temperature Method). This is determined during preflight planning and depends on aircraft weight, atmospheric conditions, and other factors.
  2. V-Speeds: During takeoff roll, the aircraft accelerates through predefined V-speeds (V1, VR, and V2). These speeds are critical to the takeoff performance and are based on aircraft weight, flap setting, and other conditions.
  3. Rotation: At VR (rotation speed), the pilot smoothly pulls back on the yoke or sidestick to lift the nose off the ground and initiate the climb. The initial climb angle is adjusted to achieve a positive rate of climb and maintain the V2 speed.
  4. Climb-out: During the initial climb, the pilot retracts the landing gear and follows the standard or noise abatement climb profile as required. Thrust is usually maintained at the takeoff setting until reaching a specified altitude or acceleration altitude, at which point the pilot may reduce thrust to the climb setting.
  5. Autothrottle Engagement: Depending on the aircraft type and specific procedures, the autothrottle may be engaged during the initial climb or after reaching a certain altitude or airspeed.

As you can see, pilots do not typically reduce the throttle to 75% immediately after rotation, as it could potentially lead to a loss of climb performance or even a stall, especially in heavy aircraft or during high-density altitude operations. Instead, they rely on calculated thrust settings and adhere to the V-speeds for a safe and efficient takeoff.

If you're interested in learning more about takeoff procedures, there are several sources available:

• FAA Handbooks: The FAA's Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Airplane Flying Handbook are excellent resources for understanding the fundamentals of aircraft operations, including takeoff procedures.
  • Aircraft Operating Manuals: Reading aircraft-specific manuals (e.g., FCOM or POH) will provide you with detailed information about takeoff procedures for specific aircraft types.
  • YouTube Tutorials: There are numerous aviation content creators on YouTube who provide informative videos explaining takeoff procedures and techniques for various aircraft. Just make sure to follow credible sources, like actual pilots or certified flight instructors.

Remember that each aircraft type has its own set of procedures, and it is essential to be familiar with these when flying in a simulator or real world. I hope this information is helpful, and I encourage you to continue exploring and learning about aviation and takeoff procedures.

To further enhance your flight simulation experience, you can also look into using realistic aircraft add-ons, as they often come with detailed documentation and checklists that closely resemble their real-world counterparts. By following these materials, you can practice the procedures and techniques used by actual pilots.

In addition to this, joining a virtual airline or participating in online flying networks like VATSIM or IVAO can provide valuable learning opportunities, as well as the chance to interact with fellow enthusiasts who share your passion for aviation. This can give you a better understanding of real-world aviation procedures and help refine your skills in the simulator.

Remember that practice makes perfect, and by continuously studying and applying real-world procedures in your flight simulator, you'll develop a deeper understanding of aviation and improve your overall flying skills.

Feel free to ask any further questions, and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...