substituting rudder controls in fsx

Pro Member Trainee
Martini101 Trainee

Hi im new to posting on the forums and i have a small problem,

at the moment i have got FSX set up with an old logitech wingman force joystick the joystick would atleast have to be around 8-10 years old now and i didn't even think it worked anymore, turns out it does and even the force feedback works great. However unlike newer joysticks it does not have a rotating axis for rudder controls which is a little annoying since i need to assign two buttons on the joystick as rudder controls although this really doesn't work really smoothly. Taxing and landing approaches are a pain as ailerons have to be used for most of this, so after trying to get the rudder working with buttons im trying to figure out if theres another way to control rudder movements.

Although it is probably not possible I have a logitech momo steering wheel and i thought that mabye the accelerate and brake pedals could be used to control the rudder although this would require me to connect the pedals to the wheel which is a pain. So basically does anyone have any suggestions that i could use for a rudder control or would i be better off buying a newer cheaper joystick?

thanks,

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

There's a program called PPjoy that can be used to take inputs from a bunch of different sources and make a virtual joystick out of them... You might be able to set up your pedals to be an axis and run it in FSX. Or if that doesn't work, I'm certain you could set up the steering wheel to do exactly what you want.

Pro Member Trainee
Martini101 Trainee

thanks for the suggestions but i think you need to pay for PPjoy and at the moment ill try and see if i can find a method without any cost at the moment. Bad thing is in the settings for FSX i can only select one controller not both i can only select the joystick or the wheel not both which means i cant really assign the pedals to rudders and have the joystick working at the same time. Is there anyway around this?

i hope so, i really would like to get this working.

Pro Member First Officer

PPjoy is freeware, I promise. Look below the huge obnoxious ad frame, there's a big green "download now" button.

http://www.simtel.net/product.download.php?id=75176

The selection box you're talking about is just for setting up the settings... If you set up your regular joystick, and then switch to the steering wheel and set up the rudder axis on it (I'd unassign the other axes) it should work. I know for sure I've used more than one input device simultaneously with FSX using this method.

Pro Member Trainee
Martini101 Trainee

thanks for the help i finally got it working.

Pro Member First Officer

Glad to hear it!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...