Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

substituting rudder controls in fsx

Martini101
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:31 pm 

Hi im new to posting on the forums and i have a small problem,

at the moment i have got FSX set up with an old logitech wingman force joystick the joystick would atleast have to be around 8-10 years old now and i didn't even think it worked anymore, turns out it does and even the force feedback works great. However unlike newer joysticks it does not have a rotating axis for rudder controls which is a little annoying since i need to assign two buttons on the joystick as rudder controls although this really doesn't work really smoothly. Taxing and landing approaches are a pain as ailerons have to be used for most of this, so after trying to get the rudder working with buttons im trying to figure out if theres another way to control rudder movements.

Although it is probably not possible I have a logitech momo steering wheel and i thought that mabye the accelerate and brake pedals could be used to control the rudder although this would require me to connect the pedals to the wheel which is a pain. So basically does anyone have any suggestions that i could use for a rudder control or would i be better off buying a newer cheaper joystick?

thanks,
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:00 pm 

There's a program called PPjoy that can be used to take inputs from a bunch of different sources and make a virtual joystick out of them... You might be able to set up your pedals to be an axis and run it in FSX. Or if that doesn't work, I'm certain you could set up the steering wheel to do exactly what you want.
Martini101
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:22 pm 

thanks for the suggestions but i think you need to pay for PPjoy and at the moment ill try and see if i can find a method without any cost at the moment. Bad thing is in the settings for FSX i can only select one controller not both i can only select the joystick or the wheel not both which means i cant really assign the pedals to rudders and have the joystick working at the same time. Is there anyway around this?

i hope so, i really would like to get this working.
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 pm 

PPjoy is freeware, I promise. Look below the huge obnoxious ad frame, there's a big green "download now" button.

http://www.simtel.net/product.download.php?id=75176

The selection box you're talking about is just for setting up the settings... If you set up your regular joystick, and then switch to the steering wheel and set up the rudder axis on it (I'd unassign the other axes) it should work. I know for sure I've used more than one input device simultaneously with FSX using this method.
Martini101
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:52 pm 

thanks for the help i finally got it working.
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:17 am 

Glad to hear it!

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum