How does this build look to you?

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

It's gonna be my first computer that im starting to build Surprised , 😳 . I want it mostly for FSX, and WoW.

I just ordered COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP case. and CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail.

Then i will be ordering GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail. And ntel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor BX80569Q9550 - 2.83GHz, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan. in the next week or so.

Then EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit, but still debating on this card.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM , total of 8.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

Any opinions and feedback would be very appreciatted.

Thanks

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

It's against my religion to give computer advice to WoW players.

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

Thanks alot Traches,

But if you noticed FSX was listed first 😂 .

Pro Member First Officer

Haha okay fine, I'll let it slide this time 😀

Let's see

Hawt case... check
Good quality power supply that won't one day fry your system... Check
Good quality, overclock friendly mobo... check
monster processor... check
stupidly powerful gfx... 3/4 check
and a few sticks of nice, fast ram... check

Looks like a pretty killer build, you'll love the computer. (You certainly have more money than I do!) My only qualm is that if you can afford to drop a little more into the graphics card I'd definitely do that-- go with a GTX 260 or 275... Or even the 85 if you've got the dough. The 9800 is over a year old, and the newer cards outperform it by a fair margin. Plus it's always best to build a new computer with the newest hardware, so it'll be able to not only run games that are out now, but games that come out in the future as they become more graphics intensive.

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

Yeah that looks like a pretty good build, just remember that the better RAM and the better Processor you have will be better and better.
And it is pretty important to have a good power supply.

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

Thanks Traches, and truckernick.

Traches, Thanks again for your input. I will be checking out the GTX 260 card. I'm thinking of just going with 8g's of ram, off the bat.
And i will be running windows xp on here.

I knew i could count on people here, even if some (Traches) are anti WoW. 😂 😂

Cliff

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

Hey if i were you, i would go with maybe one or two Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX video cards. Cause most of the stuff higher than that is riddled with problems and many have problems with overheating.
And i found after getting a new Geforce GTX 295, that my 8800 works a hell of a lot better.

Pro Member Trainee
1LtLoric Trainee

That's a ridiculous setup 😳 😳 😳 😳
I'm not complaining or anything though... 😂

Pro Member Trainee
mitch0508 Trainee

That is a nice computer!

Pro Member Trainee
jasonsco Trainee

i use ati vid cards with fsx 4850's crossfired and have had no driver problems with them.i do read over on nvnews site there fsx thread is loaded with guys useing nvidia cards and having to run the game in windowsed mode and so on.just a heads up.

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

I ended up ordering this
EVGA 017-P3-1165-AR GeForce GTX 260 1792MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail card.
I should receive it in a couple of days.

i do read over on nvnews site there fsx thread is loaded with guys useing nvidia cards and having to run the game in windowsed mode

I run my FS9 now in windows mode. I'll probably do the same on my new build, also.
Plus i ordered FSX, too.

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

Ok, my new computer is finished, now. 🙂
But i had a problem booting it up 😞 . Due to human error. And after hours of unplugging and plugging wires, and searching the internet. I got it to boot 😀 .
Then installed a copy of windows xp pro i got from a freind from work. Received a message. Had to stop installation of windows. It ended up being a older copy of windows xp. It only had sp1, but i need sp2 to install.
Bought FSX gold edition, received it.
If i were to get windows xp home sp3, will this work? Or should i get windows xp2, was the problem that it wasn't installing.
Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

XP has to be up to date, all SP packs, .NET and then it should work.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

hold up!!!!!!!!!

If it's an older version of XP, I seriously doubt it's 64 bit. That means you're not using all your ram.

You really want to get a 64 bit OS, I promise. Most of your hardware was probably designed with one in mind, and will just straight up run better. You dropped a bunch of cash into the hardware, I promise it's worth it to put a little into the software as well...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...