Real World Weather

Pro Member Trainee
CaptJohn Trainee

In FS-X, does the Real World Weather really give you the current weather conditions at the airport your taking off from? I live 22 mile from BWI and it's pouring at my home, yet when setting up a flight out of BWI and using the Real World Weather live up-date, I get weather with a 50 mile visability. Any solutions?

Capt John

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

I'l be honest and say i don't have a clue. But it has been raining a few times where i live and i try & fly out of my local airfield with real world weather when its raining but i get sun shine too.

I think there is a delay in the amount if time it takes to get the report from Jefferson. maybe there servers only updates once every so on so your only getting the most up to date weather they have, not immediately from the weather station.

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

I think it does but it's just very inaccurate.

Because on mine, at TNCM when i looked up the FAA site for the weather METAR it was strong, rainy, T-storms but when i set it for real in fsx it was partly cloudy and that was all.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

FSX has a "Rate of change" default of 15 minutes when updating real world weather.

If I launch a saved free flight mission and stay parked on the ramp watching the wind sock I see it SLOWLY shift around from what it was at the time I previously saved the mission to whatever Jefferson is reporting. This gradual rate of change is experienced even after updating real world weather before launching free flight.

It's part of a bunch of compromises ACEs studio made about weather. It's not fun to be accerating on takeoff and have a 7 kt headwind suddenly switch to 20 kt crosswind.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

You have to establish an Internet connection before starting FS to get real weather updates.
Any Internet connection will do, but I connect to the NOAA national weather service where I can check area weather first , then minimize to the taskbar. [/b]

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

Accelor wrote:

You have to establish an Internet connection before starting FS to get real weather updates.
Any Internet connection will do, but I connect to the NOAA national weather service where I can check area weather first , then minimize to the taskbar. [/b]

We all got internet connection, because you can't really even use the RWW without it.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

truckernick wrote:

Accelor wrote:

We all got internet connection, because you can't really even use the RWW without it.

Using Real-World Weather

Download the conditions outside into Flight Simulator
Related Links Introduction to Flight Simulator Weather
Using Weather Themes
Weather Settings
Using User-Defined Weather
Top 10 Weather Concepts
Aviation Weather Basics

If you have an Internet connection, you can download real-time worldwide weather conditions from Flight Simulator partner Jeppesen . You can choose to download real-world weather as a single snapshot of current weather conditions, or periodically (every 15 minutes) as you fly.

Note: To create dynamic weather changes over time or to download winds aloft with Real-world weather, see Weather Settings.

Downloading a Snapshot of Real-World Weather

When you download real-world weather, it's like taking a snapshot of the current weather conditions for the entire world. If there is a thunderstorm over Paris but it's clear in London, that's what you will see as you fly across the English Channel. You'll also see the actual current weather conditions at all points in between, and see the skies clearing before you as you fly.

To download a snapshot of Real-world weather

Connect to the Internet.
From the main Flight Simulator screen, click Free Flight.
In the Current Weather box, click Change.
Select the Download Real-world weather (static) option.
Click OK.

When you click OK, a bar displays your progress as Flight Simulator downloads weather conditions from the Jeppesen server.

When the download is complete, a weather map shows the conditions that were downloaded. You can zoom in and out in this map to see the weather in broader or narrower areas.

To load downloaded weather into the simulator

Click OK.

Downloading Real-World Weather Periodically

Flight Simulator includes an option to update real-world weather every 15 minutes automatically. By selecting this option and staying connected to the Internet, you'll get changing weather conditions as they change in the real world. With this option, Flight Simulator initially downloads a snapshot of the weather for the entire world, and then downloads weather for an area of 50 kilometers around your current location every 15 minutes. As you fly, the weather updates every 15 minutes according to the reported weather at stations nearest your current position. (The weather will download more frequently if you fly 80 percent of the distance across the initial download area.)

To download Real-world weather every 15 minutes

Connect to the Internet.
From the main Flight Simulator screen, click Free Flight.
In the Current Weather box, click Change.
Select the Real-world weather (updated every 15 minutes) option.
Click OK.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...