Single Engine Taxi

Like the real airlines do, i attempted taxiing a 737 on one engine. i had to use constant rudder and was swaying. do real airlines have this problem?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I would guess that they would sway, because the engine is farther from the center of the plane. On the MD-80 types, they often taxi with one engine because of the high power to weight ratio, as well as the closeness of the engines to the middle of the.....gosh i need to go to bed

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Might be easier using differential braking in FS, smooth application of power also helps.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I didn't know that jets taxi on only one engine. Is to save on gas? I usually taxi on both engines

Pro Member Chief Captain

They do, but I wouldnt think that the 737 would go on 1 engine

crosscheck9 Guest

if planes taxi on single engine, what do they do with the other engine, just keep it running for no reason? + pilots are always keeping track of the amount of fuel they have for the flight, but they also prefer, (as i am told) to keep the same amount of fuel in the aircraft on all the tanks. To do that, they would have to undergo a crossfeed, which, I think, is very uncommon.

Pro Member Trainee
Scott Archbold (Scotteiboi) Trainee

I haven't flown a lot but, all the 737's I have flown in taxi with both engines... Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I think it is rare certainly in the UK to taxi SE on a two engine ac. This said I know and have seen plenty of operators shut down one or both engines taxiing to the gate once close enough to "roll" the rest of the way...APU running for obvious reasons! May be done more often on three/four engine jets as the power required to taxi is available on two engines.

Pro Member Chief Captain

As far as I know and have experenced, the MD-88 does taxi on a single engine. It seems we've confirmed that the 737 doesn't for obvious reasons, there could be more that do.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...