ICAO procedures for a missed app. during circling

Pro Member Trainee
seadogs Trainee

Hi all.

I am just a couple of weeks off from finishing my comm IF, but need to do some IF theory questions. The question is: State the ICAO procedures for a missed approach during a circling approach. I have been unable to find a suitable answer. In South Africa you would turn towards the airport, establish on missed approach track and then follow missed approach procedure, as stated on the plate. Any one familiar with ICAO??

Thanks

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Probably not the place to ask that, go to PPrune.

http://www.pprune.org/

Search first, it's probably already on there. I would explain but it's 3am and I can't be bothered.

Pro Member Trainee
seadogs Trainee

Yeah I realize its not the best place to ask, but I have always had good replies. Thanks for the link

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Not sure if ICAO is any different, but certainly in the UK and Europe, you have to turn towards the airfield and complete the missed approach of the instrument approach you were doing before you split off for the circling.

I can't really see how you can do it any other way since the circling procedure is visual (at or very close to MDA/DA) and the approach plates don't give any amended missed approach instructions for the circling procedure.

I'd be very surprised if ICAO was significantly different.

Pro Member Trainee
seadogs Trainee

You are right. The only difference with ICAO, is the minimum heights and the circling radius.
The procedure is the same

Angvard Guest

If visual reference is lost while circling to land from an instrument approach, the missed approach specified for that particular procedure shall be followed. The transition from the visual (circling) manoeuvre to the missed approach should be initiated by a climbing turn, within the circling area, towards the landing runway, to return to the circling altitude or higher, immediately followed by interception and execution of the missed approach procedure. The indicated airspeed during these manoeuvres shall not exceed the maximum indicated airspeed associated with visual manoeuvring(ICAO Doc 8168: PANS-OPS, Volume 1, Chapter 7, Section 7.4)

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there!

I'd be happy to help you with your question on ICAO procedures for a missed approach during a circling approach. The ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) provides guidance in their document, PANS-OPS Doc 8168, which outlines the procedures for air navigation services.

When it comes to a missed approach during a circling approach, the ICAO has specific guidelines to follow. Here's a brief outline of those procedures:

1. Initiate the climb: As soon as you determine that a missed approach is necessary, immediately initiate a climb with maximum practical rate, with a minimum of 2.5% gradient (approx. 150 feet per nautical mile). This ensures that you maintain a safe distance from the ground and surrounding obstacles.
  2. Turn towards the circling area: Once you've initiated the climb, turn towards the circling area and maintain the appropriate obstacle clearance altitude. This will help ensure you're not flying towards any terrain or obstacles.
  3. Intercept the missed approach track: After turning towards the circling area, intercept the missed approach track as specified on the approach chart. This may involve navigating to a specific navaid, waypoint, or radial, depending on the missed approach procedure outlined on the chart.
  4. Follow the published missed approach procedure: Once you're established on the missed approach track, follow the published missed approach procedure. This will typically involve a climb to a specified altitude, followed by a turn to a specific heading, and potentially additional navigation or holding instructions. Make sure to follow these instructions closely to ensure obstacle clearance and proper navigation.

It's important to note that these procedures are intended as general guidance and may be subject to variations depending on specific airspace requirements or local regulations. Always consult the appropriate approach charts and AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication) for the specific country or region you are flying in to ensure compliance with local procedures.

I hope this helps clarify the ICAO procedures for a missed approach during a circling approach. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with the rest of your comm IF training!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...