15-20 FPS with a Crossfire setup

Pro Member Trainee
Alois Norbert Forrer (fonopal) Trainee

Hallo Simmers.
My system consists of a i7 920 2.67MHz,a P6T6 WS Revolution Motherboard, SSD Hard disk 240 GB, a raid array 0 with 2x 500GB HDD, 2x ATI Graphic cards, Radeon HD series 5800 Crossfire, 6144 MB DDR3 RAM,Win7 Ultimate, a 26"Montor.
I run the FSX the FS9 as well as aerofly professional de lux, FS9 and aerofly perform at an incredible frame rate.
The FSX is anything but satisfactory. Recently I have discovered that when I play on full screen, the FPS are as little as 15-20 FPS, Crossfire enabled. By coincident I clicked on the "START" button and the FPS increased by at least twice as much. At 30000" flight level I got as much as 105 FPS. You can only fly with the START open but you have no influence on the plane operation. Can anyone let me know if he or she is experiencing the same phenomenon? It would interest me if someone has a solution to this problem.
I am in contact with AMD and hopefully they have the answer I am looking for.Fonopal

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

Last I checked, Flight Simulator does not support Cross-Fire or SLI.

Alternatively, try running FSX in windowed mode. Press ALT+ENTER, see if you have any improvement.

Flyboy92

Pro Member Trainee

Hallo Flyboy92.
Nice to hear from you.
I have tried your suggestion but the display is anything but satisfactory. I have slightly reduced the actual size of the display ( with the little square on the right top corner) making the window smaller. 2cm. on top, 1cm. on the bottom and 2cm. left and right side. I have noticed an improvement in the FPS but it does no justice to the whole screen. If anyone has some ideas please let me know. Thank you all, Fonopal

Pro Member Trainee
pelicanbeak Trainee

fonopal wrote:

Hallo Flyboy92.
Nice to hear from you.
I have tried your suggestion but the display is anything but satisfactory. I have slightly reduced the actual size of the display ( with the little square on the right top corner) making the window smaller. 2cm. on top, 1cm. on the bottom and 2cm. left and right side. I have noticed an improvement in the FPS but it does no justice to the whole screen. If anyone has some ideas please let me know. Thank you all, Fonopal

FSX renders it's world via the CPU not GPU, so SLI & Crossfire only help with some antialias inprovement but not much else. However, you NEED those to enable a 3D environment, if you want to fly on 3D (the rest of the required equipment glasses, monitor etc too).
😀

Pro Member Trainee

Hello Pelicanbeak
Thank you for your feedback. I did actually wonder if the CPU could be the reason for the performance in FSX. Although it is an i7 4core but then there
are i7s and i7s.Thank you
kind regards
Fonopal

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

fonopal wrote:

Hallo Simmers.
My system consists of a i7 920 2.67MHz,a P6T6 WS Revolution Motherboard, SSD Hard disk 240 GB, a raid array 0 with 2x 500GB HDD, 2x ATI Graphic cards, Radeon HD series 5800 Crossfire, 6144 MB DDR3 RAM,Win7 Ultimate, a 26"Montor.
I run the FSX the FS9 as well as aerofly professional de lux, FS9 and aerofly perform at an incredible frame rate.
The FSX is anything but satisfactory. Recently I have discovered that when I play on full screen, the FPS are as little as 15-20 FPS, Crossfire enabled. By coincident I clicked on the "START" button and the FPS increased by at least twice as much. At 30000" flight level I got as much as 105 FPS. You can only fly with the START open but you have no influence on the plane operation. Can anyone let me know if he or she is experiencing the same phenomenon? It would interest me if someone has a solution to this problem.
I am in contact with AMD and hopefully they have the answer I am looking for.Fonopal

This is a topic for the Hardware Forum!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...