Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Request: Extremely long runway

dstrout
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:22 pm 

It's easy enough to find online a list of the longest runways in FSX, like those at Denver Intl, Edwards AFB, etc., but I'd like longer. I want to try several ground maneuvers that - obviously - involve being on the ground for long stretches of time on long stretches (or a long stretch) of runway. How long, you ask? I'm thinking on the order of 10-15 miles - 50,000+ feet. Extending a current runway would work, but I thought a new one could be placed somewhere where there is a bunch of flat ground and almost nothing in the way.

I found a bunch of empty space in Chad (Africa), southwest of FTTY (Faya-Largeau Airport). It seems like this would be easy to do - this would be a no-frills "airport" - just one long runway, no taxiways, no tower, no vehicles. Fuel might be good, but not necessary. Wide, well marked and lit would also be great, but that is optional too. Basically, I just want the longest straight stretch of paved runway I can get. Realism is clearly not the point here (unless someone is actually building a super long runway in Chad). It could have an ICAO code of "RNWY", to indicate that it is not real and is just for the runway.

Anyway, that would be great, if possible. If there is any such thing out there already, that would work too, but I haven't found anything.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 pm 

dstrout
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:42 am 

The Eyre Highway is nice with its 146km straight stretch, but it's too narrow in FSX and not completely flat like a real runway. Qamdo Bamda Airport (longest runway on the Wikipedia list) isn't in FSX, and it, like the others, is still too short. For what it's worth, I'm doing extremely high speed (350+ kts) touch and goes with the FSX Acceleration F/18, and that eats runway fast. The road is a good start, though.

Last edited by dstrout on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 am 

Best I could find in the real world.
Check out other roads in some countries.
Places like Nevada have long roads running across the deserts.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonneville_Salt_Flats

Radar
cheezyflier
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:13 am 

are you looking for someone to make it for you?
area 51 has a pretty long runway. and what about the shuttle landing area in fla?

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum