Enhancing AI Traffic Realism in Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Arjun Bendre Guest

Hi all,

I have used WOAI in the past on my old computer, running FS9, and the AI Traffic density was brilliant; at major airports (Heathrow, Kennedy, Los Angeles, Dallas Fort Worth, etc.) I was having to wait at runways to take off, etc.: the realism was excellent.

This was on a very old Millennium Edition computer and I was waiting for it to die; once it did: I bought a new computer, Windows 8.1, 4GB RAM, etc.

And this time I thought I would upgrade to FSX.

Recently, I installed every WOAI Package from the latest to Summer 2009, and a select few after that too. However, the AI Traffic density is NOTHING like the old computer, there are very few aircraft at Heathrow, Kennedy, Los Angeles, Dallas Fort Worth, etc. and I am never waiting at the runway; it is always clear and ready for me. FSX is set to 'Ultra High' Traffic.

And, there is a lot of Orbit, Landmark, and World Travel AI Traffic; I don't want this that much, I want real airlines, such as American, Delta, United, British Airways, etc.

Basically, what I want is a lot of AI Traffic, the need to enter holding patterns, waiting, etc.

You may think that this is mad, but I love realism, so that's why I want all of this.

Please help me. Thank you.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your query about boosting AI traffic density in FSX to mirror real-world airport activity is a pertinent one. FSX, despite its age, still offers ample avenues for enhancing your simulation experience. Let's delve into this.

Understanding AI Traffic in FSX
AI Traffic in FSX contributes significantly to the realism of your flying experience. It populates airports with aircraft and skies with traffic, mimicking real-world aviation traffic patterns.

1. Adjusting FSX Settings
Firstly, ensure that your FSX settings are optimized for high AI traffic. Go to the 'Settings' menu, select 'Traffic', and adjust the sliders for airline and general aviation traffic. Note that setting these to 'Ultra High' can impact performance, especially on systems with limited RAM or processing power.

2. Exploring AI Traffic Add-Ons
World of AI (WOAI) is a great start, but there are other add-ons to consider:

• Just Flight's Traffic series
  • MyTrafficX
  • Ultimate Traffic

These add-ons provide more extensive and realistic AI traffic.

3. Customizing AI Traffic
For a more tailored experience, consider tools like AI Flight Planner or FSX AI Traffic Editor. These allow you to modify or create AI traffic schedules, matching them with real-world timetables.

4. Dealing with Default AI Traffic
You mentioned the prevalence of default AI airlines like Orbit and World Travel. These can be reduced or eliminated by using AI traffic editors or by manually editing FSX's traffic database files.

5. System Performance Considerations
High levels of AI traffic can be demanding on your system. Ensure your PC is up to the task, especially with newer hardware and operating systems like Windows 8.1.

Realism in AI Traffic
Your desire for realism, such as entering holding patterns and runway waits, is entirely understandable. This level of detail is what makes flight simulation a deeply immersive experience. Remember, the balance between performance and realism is key.

If you're also using platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) or X-Plane 12, these insights can be relevant, though the specific tools and methods may vary.

In Conclusion
Upgrading AI traffic in FSX involves a blend of adjusting settings, utilizing add-ons, and manual customizations. As with any modification, it's about finding the right balance that suits your system's capabilities and your personal preference for realism.

Feel free to ask for more details or clarification, and I'd be happy to provide further insights.

Safe flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...