Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

OVERSPEED warning on FS2004 Jets

BRolland

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:44 am 

Is anyone else having problems with "Overspeed" warnings with the Jet Aircraft? I am new to FS2004 and all the Jets are doing it at al altitudes...even up to 39,000 feet.
mypilot
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 am 

What jet are you talking about. In most jets your airspeed can't exceed 340 knots. If you are at 39,000 feet your airspeed indicator will go to about 270 knots before giving an overspeed warning. If you look at your ground speed on your GPS it will read about 480 knots and 0.82 mach. Hope that helps. FAA (fedaral aircraft administration) rules tells you that you can't exceed 250 knots below 10,000 feet MSL.
originalgrunge
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:41 am 

To illustrate MyPilot's point, the next time you are in the default 737, look at the spedometer on the left side of the panel. You'll see the yellow bug showing what the MCP speed is set to, the needle to the speed you are actually traveling at, and a red and white warning band that shows what the "overspeed limit" will kick in at. If you notice, when you're on the ground it is set well up in the 300s, but after reaching cruising altitude, the white and red band will be at 260 something!
Guest Ed

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:43 am 

Yes, you can overspeed with a jet at any altitude-- jets have power to spare, you can easily exceed the maximum safe speed for your airframe. The easiest way to avoid it is to use the Automatic Throttle (A/T) setting. I keep it at 250 kts up to 10,000 feet, up to about 300 kts on the climb up to cruising altitude, and set it to Mach .82 at cruise altitude, or what ever is the maximum mach speed for your aircraft. Descending, I usually back it off to 290 kts down right above to 10,000 feet, then start slowing down for approach.

The only jet I fly routinely is the Lear, but I believe all the jets have an A/T.

Ed
Fire_Emblem_Master
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:02 pm 

It could be that he's confusing Indicated with True airspeeds?

I don't feel well enough to illustrate the point thorugly, but Open up the GPS, and then look in the bottom left corner, you'll see G/S that's your true airspeed.

Also use the Mach Number indicator
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:18 pm 

I thought that Ground Speed (GS) and True Airspeed (TAS) were different. You can work out GS by looking at the GPS, and you work out TAS by multiplying IAS x 0.02 x (Altitude / 1000) + IAS. This could be wrong though Confused
Click below to support FSF:
BRolland

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm 

Your answers are incredible. I didn;t think I would get evn one answer so quickly, but I got many. I didn't get this much help at Microsoft after I emailed them.

I'm hooked!!!

Barry Very Happy
Fire_Emblem_Master
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:29 pm 

The words "Help" and "Microsoft" are not good bedfellows
leadfoot
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:42 am 

In still air, ground speed and true air speed is the same, however you can have TAS and ground speed be different ; If I my true airspeed is 450 kts and I have a 50 kt headwind, my ground speed will be 400kts Vice versa for a tailwind.
horrgakx
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:54 pm 

BRolland wrote:
I didn't get this much help at Microsoft after I emailed them.

<COUGH> you're surprised at that???
mypilot
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:13 pm 

BRolland wrote:
Your answers are incredible. I didn;t think I would get evn one answer so quickly, but I got many. I didn't get this much help at Microsoft after I emailed them.

I'm hooked!!!

Barry Very Happy

You can get quick answers here. How about becoming a member?
Habu
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:13 pm 

Plz remember that ground speed and airspeed are the same at sea level with no wind. Airspeed is really the speed of air passing over the wings, ground speed is how fast you are going over the ground. At sealevel, with no wind, when you go 150 knots groundspeed, your airspeed is 150 Knots. As you climb, the air is thinner, so your airspeed at 150 knots ground speed is less than 150 Knots. The fastest air-breathing aircraft in the world is still the SR-71. It is limited to 426 Knots airspeed. At 80,000 ft, this same 426 knots airspeed was about 2000+ knots ground speed. So, if you look at the altimiter, it has a barber pole on it that reflects the fastest safe airspeed. Any time you go faster than this barber pole speed, the airspeed warning will sound. Get your speed right up to the barber pole and that's as fast as you can safely go. rob

Page 1 of 1
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum