Landing tutorial:- (OPPINIONS WELCOME!)

gazpode_l@yahoo.com Guest

I have seen many of you groaning about how difficult landing an aircraft in flight simulator is 😂

In all honesty, It's not as hard as you make it out to be 😛 . These points below I always stick by are easy to follow and you should find they will help ➡

➡ 25-30 MILES OUT: Throttles back to idle, spoilers maximumly opened. reduce airspeed to 300 or so knots and begin a 4000ft per minute descent.
➡ OPEN GPS WINDOW!
➡ 20 MILES OUT: By this time, you should be below angels 10 (10,000ft). Continue decending to 2500 feet and carry on bleeding airspeed by using a combination of no throttle, extending spoilers slightly and extending a notch of flaps every drop of 10knots of airspeed starting around 220knts.
➡ 10-15 MILES OUT: Throttle up to around 60-70% N1 which should hold airspeed around 150-160 knts with flaps fully extended to 40' in a 737. Turn to meet the end of the green ILS handle (if the runway has one)
If it is a clear day, the runway should appear anywhere between 10 o clock and 2 o clock. Turn onto the runway heading when the runway appears straight outside the viewpoint.
➡ 5 MILES OUT: begin decending at 500ft per minute. Make sure that there are two red & two white lights on the runway. If all the red lights show, hold decent at level, untill whites begin appearing. IF all white lights, decend faster at around 1000ft-1500ft per minute untill ONE RED appears THEN pull up into a 500ft per minute decent, by which time a second red should have appeared.
➡ 2.5 MILES OUT: Set your autobrake to level2. If it's a long runway, you shouldn't need any reversers to help slowing.
❗ ➡ TOUCHDOWN: about 20 seconds before you cross the runway freshhold, throttle back to idle, and begin slowly flairing the nose, keep flaring untill the runway disappears! this is IMPORTANT because if you can still see the runway, it is quite likely that you will slam the aircraft down onto the runway, and possibly crash...

➡ AND THEN...
by flaring considerably, you will find after some practice that landings get softer and softer...upon touchdown the autobrakes will be applied. As your airspeed slows below 50 knots, turn the autobrake to level 1 and leave on level 1 until 25 knots, before turning off the autobrake. Then throttle up slightly to 50 or 60 % N1 and turn off at the next available taxiway.

WHEN OFF THE RUNWAY: Radio control tower who will then ask you to contact the ground controller. Contact the ground controller who will assign you a gate and taxi to the gate using the progressive taxi for guidance.

I have found these methods very successful and now I even think it is possible i could land a real 737 with a bit of luck! onto the real heavies tonight like the 777 & boeing 747!

I'll let you all know how i get on!

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
BashDaBish Guest

4000ft descent rate! Sounds like a real hoot Help! Baby

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Though it is quite unorthodox, if it works, why the hell not! 😀

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Try landing a real airplane. Even in a Cessna 172 you'd best like eating a lot of humble pie. Even keeping the plane on the rnwy centerline during approach was tough at first. I flew the sims before I was flying for real. It is a LOT harder to land a real one.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I have to say, that to me, with now 800+ hours in the 757-200 for FS9, what you're doing is very unorthodox, and can overstress the aircraft, possibly causing a crash. (if you use realism)

I'd say instead of starting descent at 35NM, therefore forcing yourself to use spoilers in flight, which is NEVER good, start at around 95-100NM.

Also, flaps don't need to be lowered more than 10 degrees untill you're on the glideslope, that way you burn less fuel, and come in faster.

Autobrake doesn't need to be more than 1 unless you FUBAR the landing.

Thrust reversers save wear and tear on brakes, and it's always a good idea to use them, they help you stop as quickly as it is comfortable for the passengers, which allows you to clear the runway for any traffic behind you.

You shouldn't give idle throttle untill you've crossed the threshold, otherwise you WILL slam into the runway.

Flaring until the runway dissappears in this tutorial is not good, you've given no idication of how to use the ILS, so they won't know if a cross wind has pushed them over the grass instead of the runway.

Just being able to see the runway doesn't mean that you'll slam into the runway, you have to take into account airspeed, descent rate, and flap settings, with proper setup, i can land with barely a chirp at about a 3 degree flare.

Flaring considerably usually causes a considerable tail strike, which is not good at all.

Don't forget to retract the flaps and spoilers.

If you tried these methods on a real 737, they'd be picking your charred remains from the asphalt.

There's my opinion. 😎

Guest Ed Guest

gazpode_l@yahoo.com wrote:

➡ 25-30 MILES OUT: Throttles back to idle, spoilers maximumly opened. reduce airspeed to 300 or so knots and begin a 4000ft per minute descent.

Ah, the old cut-the-engines-and-drop-like-a-rock approach. 😳

Better have a good supply of airsick bags on board. 😂

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😳 gazpode_l@yahoo.com do you fly for Air2000?

Just a couple of points,your comming in way too steep,FEM is on the mark here,start your desent earlier

The use of spoilers to slow a modern aircraft is now quite normal and reverse thrust is nowhere near as good at stopping a plane than the good old brakes,so try an auto brake setting of 2

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Calculate the descent more accurately eg your cruising at 30,000 feet to caculate when to begin descent take away the last 3 zeros and multiply 30 by 3 3x30=90nm to calculate the descent rate multiply your ground speedby 6 eg your cruising at a speed of 377kn 6x377=2262feet a min.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Good thing about FS is that we all fly differently and have different opinions on how things should be done this is what makes this forum good fun. Every flight is different be it real world or FS, you can do the same route LHR to NCL 100 times and each flight will differ slightly, this will change also depending on who you fly for as each airline has different SOP's...all very similar however. It is impossible in my opinion to state start the descent at x miles out because there are many factors which need to be worked into the equation. In training I have dealt with several different scenarios for example ATC keep you at cruise level due to traffic below, then it is a case of speed brakes out and a good rate of descent! On the other hand you may get released early but if you are flying in FS it is generally up to you so use this if you are at FL350 - 35 x 5(+10) = 185 so start your descent 185 miles out from destination. (If however you are at FL350 and destination is 8000ft elevation it will be 35-8 then x 5(+10))This is a good rule of thumb but obviously airspeed and ROD need to be about 250-300kts/1500-2000fpm spend a bit of time working with this finding the right attitude/power setting and the rest will follow.
Under FL100 reduce speed to 250kts and aim to intercept the LOC at 10-15 miles being at 3000ft AGL (basically 300 x distance from destination will give a "spot" height for where you will intercept the GS ie at 6 miles 300 x 6=1800ft) This will help you intercept from below which is where you need to be. 5 or so miles before intercept reduce speed to 220kts selecting flap up to 10*, flap 1 for Airbus depending on flap limitation speed (please note this is based on jet ac 737/320 etc). Establish localiser LOC button will have been pressed when you are at a suitable intercept angle usually ATC will bring you in at 60* or less so if you self position bear this in mind. Once you are established localiser press APP and wind the speed back to 160-180 or just above min speed for next flap setting.. GS comes alive and when it is about a dot from center select gear down and flap 20* or flap 2. When you start descending on the GS set GA alt in the alt window on the AP. When the speed is right select next stage of flap ie 30 or 3. If you want or need to take full flap bleed back a bit more speed and select relevant flap. ROD will be about 5 x groundspeed so at 130kts you want about 650fpm. Even on an autoland you need to monitor everything Disconnect AP at whatever height you want usually between 500 and 1000ft keep the speed right following the ILS indications, at about 50ft rad alt "50 feet" call out from GPWS count 3 bananas! Then close the throttles and simply stop the nose from descending no need to over flare just stop the downward nose tendency that ocurrs when one closes the throttles. There is much more to it but for real world but this is pretty much how I do it! Arm the speed brakes and autobrakes (1) when you do landing checks LOC intercept? or whenever you like.

I must say that ed's comments made me larf about the "cut the engines and drop like a rock approach" 😂

The reason why I have began to cut the engines and use the spoilers is that both times I have flown into klagenfurt on a ryanair 737-800, the pilot has been flying high and fast and then on comes the seatbelts light and then you feel the airplane rumble. I was lucky enough to see the wings from where I was and it was clear the spoilers were extended. After a short while, (which is where I went wrong in my guide 😞 ) the pilot retracted the spoilers, directly before we felt him push the nose down and we decended for around 10 minutes whilst circling the austrian mountains, before making a fun and turbulent approach into LOWK. 😎

I've read your comments about starting decscents between 50-100 miles away and the problem I face is that most of my stuff is done on short hops and I only usually fly around 10-15,000ft max!

that's why I also said about starting descent at 35nm out, so again my guide is flawed there too! Embarassed

so consider it as a guide for short haul flights 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

If this is a short haul guide, then descending at 4000 fpm is kinda crazy. Even for a Cessna.

yea...I've kinda noticed that now..perhaps I didn't look at my gauges properly! I did a flight the other night in a 777 from stansted to paris "bretigny sur ogre" and litterally left the spoilers open, and dropped like a rock as in comments from ed..

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...