Landing Practice with Slew Mode

Pro Member Trainee
Bugsey Trainee

I have no problem taking off, but I am terrible at landing.Is there a way short of using slew mode to practice my landing,without circuits and bumps.
Incidentally, I loaded Wings of Power to my fs2004 as an addon, and I am well pleased with it. the graphics are superb, and its fun flying those old aircraft, its a shame they cannot be a added to Combat F Sim, so that guns and bombs etc can be used

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest

When i land i find it easier with the autopilot tuned on, i switch off the speed and alttitude leaving just the heading on, that way you can turn left and right so you can line up with the runway on the gps, its easy to do then when your better try it without. happy landings. Dave

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Set up a flight at your favoured airport(find any frequencies you need and set them) and takeoff.When you get to about 2000ft do a left 180 turn and climb to about 10000ft and do another left 180 turn
You are now heading towards your airport(roughly) Hit Alt and save the flight with whatever you want to call it

Now you can load it when ever you want

Also save the flight a few more times as you get nearer .then as your confidence grows you can start nearer and lower

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

God only knows how many times i've posted this bullshit

THIS IS FOR IFR FLIGHT!

1. When ATC says something liek "WifeBeater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and mantain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockipt. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (thes are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list untill you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. FInd 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the righmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clickin it. Press the button that looks like thsi somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the LearJet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually Heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the directon and atitude of the pink arrows intull they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you wanna use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

Landing without Nav aids or autopilot is a difficult thing to do. Keep practicing at it without AP or nav aids. Anyone can land with ILS and AP. thats too easy, challenge yourself. I believe i have more fun that way. to further challenge yourself set up some cross, tail, headwinds after you get it down pat. Then throw in some fog and night landings. I still recommend using VOR/DME and ILS localizer readings to guide you but when you have done a perfectly flaired landing all by yourself you will feel really good about it. keep practicing.

😀 Best of luck

spuddi Guest

megafoot, i agree about a/p; but to to be really realistic once you have managed to get it down in one piece a few times you should at least try to follow the ILS glideslope and localiser.
Otherwise you might get it down but you'll never know if your approaches are any good.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Practice, practice, practice. I do all my landings by hand. ILS's, instrument landings, etc. The old saw- practice makes perfect-- not true! Practice makes easy, STUDY makes perfect.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...