Aircraft shadow in spot plane mode.

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

I fly a lot in spot plane mode, watching the plane from behind (Numeric key "2"). When landing there is no aircraft shadow until the plane is only inches off the runway UNLESS I pause the sim and set the view point greater than zero.
Does anyone know if there is a way to set the viewpoint so that it returns to a non-zero value (and gives me a continuously visible shadow) when the numeric key "2" is pressed?
Failing that, is there a way to get FS2004 to have a continuously visible shadow regardless of the viewpoint elevation being zero?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The shadow comes from the sun (really?), what time in the day are you flying, I always fly "spot view" and can see the aircraft shadow.
Clear weather and 10am you should see it to the back port side of the aircraft if you are looking at the starboard side.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

No no, Radarman, I'm sorry but you don't get it. There is a shadow even in cloudy weather IF - note that *IF* - you have a non-zero value in spot plane view while watching the back of the plane.
My complaint is that if my viewpoint is zero feet above the aircraft axis (ie: on the longitudinal axis of the aircraft) the shadow does not appear in time to make a graceful, *accurate* flare.
Check this out, fly it, to see what I mean.
I should note that I fly smaller aircraft most of the time. The Culver Cadet is a life-long favorite of mine. I actually flew one back in 1943.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I fly GA also, the DC-3 (not really a GA but a tail-dragger) and the Decathlon from airhead are the ones I like.

I must have missed that Cadet, I just looked for it and downloaded it, it'll be tonight's project.
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=+Culver+Cadet+&CatID=fs2004&Go=Search

I'll check out what you mean, I'm usually busy enjoying the sound of the engine, the scenery and looking for a strange road or field to land on.
I like to fly GPS and or compass for the "feel" of that type of aircraft.

If you like slow and low try the Aeronca.
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Aeronca+AC-11+Chief+Cl%E9mentine+Airways+VA&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Radarman.
I tried to send an e-mail to you but I then got a page that said "Invalid" ... something or other.
If you get it please send a response - or, maybe, even if you don't get it. *grin*

Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Umm... Nope didn't get it, send a PM. Now you have me curious.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

This is still a problem if anyone else wants to ring in.... Please??

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...