FSSound.dll not compatible?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

At some point FS9.1 began complaining tha tFSSound.dll might not be compatible and offered the choice of loading or not. Loading it causes no problem. I've seen this discussed on other forums, where the consesnsus is that it isn't a real problem, but no one knows what the cause is.

I was wondering if anyone here knows the cause and if there is a solution. It is a nuisance if I start FS and am distracted. Five minutes later its still sitting at that damned dialogue box witing for me to click OK.

I suppose some dufus addon added/modified/replaced/stomped on the file, but don't know which one is the culprit.

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When you load an aircraft you might be installing (overwriting) an older version of it than you need for other aircraft.
This happens often with self installing aircraft (exe.).
That's my take on that nuisance message.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Crash, have you tried this

Find fs9.cfg & open it in Notepad. Add this entry (it doesn't really matter where providing it's a new entry) & exit Notepad saving changes.

[OLDMODULES]
fssound.dll=1

I think the cause comes down to the arthur using a 2002 that has been upgraded for us with FS9 but uses 2002 gauges and sounds. Others will correct me if im wrong (must fo the time)

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

right slightly concerned that i couldnt find my fs9.cfg file.....that is one of the config ones isnt it?!?

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

AJWatson try this

1} Double click My Computer
2} Double click Hard Drive
3} Double Click Documents & Settings
4} Double Click Your User Name
5} At this stage you will need to acces the hidden folders. Go to Tools at the top of the task bar, then Folder options, click on view, in the advance section you should see a tick box called show hidden files & folders tick this and click apply & OK. All hidden folders will come to light.
6} Double click on Application Data
7} Double click Microsoft
8} Double click FS9
9} The FS9 CFG file should be the third one down on the left (well it is on mine)

Open it up with wordpad on copy and paste the added section in my previous versoin.

Let us know how you got on.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain

Okay. Been there, done that, darn shame it didn't work. 😞

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

sorry guys i think i have posted that reply in the wrong topic....... sorry Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

I get the same bloody thing, had it for months. Don't know what to do but ignore it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Here is my fix. I went into ...\program files\...FS9\modules and renamed it to fssound.dll.bak. FS started up with no complaint.

If I find a plane that has no sound now, I will know the culprit. If it can't be aliased to an FS9 sound file, I'll get rid of it.

This is the info I have on the dll.
File Version: 1.5.0.1
Flight Simulator 98/2000/2002 Module
Copyright © 1999-2001 by Daniel Steiner.

If I find out what package dropped this on my doorstep, I will let you know.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Final fix. Went to and downloaded version 1.6.0.15 beta2 and got no complaint from FS. FS does not like 1.5.0.2 or prior. I don't like beta software, but apparently some gauge designers are using it and FS doesn't complain, so I'll give it a try unless green slime starts coming out of my speakers.

As the last update was over a year ago, I won't hold my breath till 1.6.x final comes out.

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

Top man it got rid of .dll box at start up but have lost a few sounds for a/c. Only tried a couple but I'm sure I had sounds for them before.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...