Winglets

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Hi,

I've just installed PMDG's 737NG and I notice that the models come with a winglet or no winglet version. I know what winglets are, they're the little piece at the end of the tail that point up (although I'm not sure what exactly they do) but in real life don't all planes have them? Therefore why give the option of not having them in the sim?

Also, I notice some liveries that I downloaded, like the Ryanair 737-700, come with a stairs. This sounds really cool, but how do I get a stairs to come up to the plane when I'm on the ground. What do I have to press? And do you see the stairs driving up from the terminal or does it just appear?

Thanks a lot in advance, JTH 🙂

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
robbier First Officer

I think actually that the winglets are like little tiny tails on each end of the wing. picture:
Look at the end of the wings. they have those little 'winglets'. and no, not all aircraft have them.

robbier

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

They produce less vortex drag, decrease a planes chance of stalling at certain speeds when turning and of course they can store lots of extra fuel.

Don Wood Guest

Robbier is correct. Winglets have nothing to do with the tail. They are angled extensions of the wing on some aircraft and their purpose is to reduce wing vortex (the tornado-like spiral of air coming off the end of the wing) to increase lift. See http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/ASM/Mag/Index/2001/AS/htww.html for a more detailed explanation.

I'm not sure what you were talking about when you said "little piece at the end of the tail that point up". The only thing I can think of you might be referring to is the vertical stabilizer, however, on most aircraft that is not particularly little.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Sorry I meant to say "wing" where I said "tail", I don't know what I was thinking!

Anyway, thanks for all the info. But if winglets are this good, and they don't exactly look hugely complex to install, why do not all airplanes have them? Also, why would the 737 be offered with or without winglets - would this happen in real life?

Thanks again.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Also, does anyone know how to get the stairs?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

JTH wrote:

Sorry I meant to say "wing" where I said "tail", I don't know what I was thinking!

Anyway, thanks for all the info. But if winglets are this good, and they don't exactly look hugely complex to install, why do not all airplanes have them? Also, why would the 737 be offered with or without winglets - would this happen in real life?

Thanks again.

To fit winglets on some a/c would not be economical - weight, size, general usage of a/c etc..

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

JTH wrote:

Also, does anyone know how to get the stairs?

I know you haven't asked about the exits/doors yet... but you will Yes

So check out this ➡ http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=rcbse-10.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Handy to have at times when you're drowning in your manuals Read Fear

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Okay, thanks. So when Boeing ship 737s etc do they offer them with or without winglets?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...