SearchSearch 

BIOS ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Since I assembled my computer I have never entered the BIOS let alone changed any default settings. Would anyone be willing to help me with this daunting task?
My motherboard : ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe.

I can upload my specs using either Belarc Advisor or EVEREST.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

19 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Why do you need top change anything tailhook?

I have that exact same mobo.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

Why do you need top change anything tailhook?

I have that exact same mobo.

Sorry m8 i don't know what "top change" means.

When I go on standby, the monitor switches off as it used to on my old system, but the computer itself keeps on steaming full power. Then, when I try to "reawaken" the whole catastrophy, the computer keeps on working and purring as was, but the monitor won't spring back to life.

The little reboot switch has no effect, so to start everything going, I have to kill the power via the PSU switch, turn it on again and then press the 'On' switch on the enclosure. Don't seem right to me 😳

Thanks for your reply Insight

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

sorry that should have been "to change" 🙂

to stop your monitor powering off, right click the desktop and click on properties

under the screensaver tab there is a section named "monitor power".. click the Power... button in that section and a new screen will pop up called "Power Options Properties"

in this section there is a section with some options, "Turn Off Monitor" is probably set to 20 mins, this can be changed to "Never"

Maybe this will help with your issue.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

You say that Since I assembled my computer...The little reboot switch has no effect,

This suggests that you may not have seated the Power switch leads correctly in to the mobo.
Switch off at the mains and check all cable blocks are seated firmly

The Bios is somewhere where a little caution is required for those not in the know

Check all the leads 1st and come back to us

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

sorry that should have been "to change" 🙂

to stop your monitor powering off, right click the desktop and click on properties

under the screensaver tab there is a section named "monitor power".. click the Power... button in that section and a new screen will pop up called "Power Options Properties"

in this section there is a section with some options, "Turn Off Monitor" is probably set to 20 mins, this can be changed to "Never"

Maybe this will help with your issue.

Okay, let me put it this way:
1) When you built your system, did you make any changes to your BIOS?

2) When I put my system on 'standby' or 'sleep mode' I want my monitor to shut down (and that's what it does), the problem is I can't bring it back to life which is normally done by wiggling your mouse or hitting your spacebar for example.

3) When I put my system on 'standby' or 'sleep mode' I expect my computer to slow down (HDD for example) and when I wiggle my mouse or hit the space bar I expect everything to come back to life again.

This behaviour is not a figment of my imagination - even though I've only owned two computers prior to this one, the sleep- standby- call it what you will function always worked.

I'm sorry but I can't explain it any better. However if you would just answer me whether you did or did not make changes to your BIOS, I would at least have a starting point. (I suspect it might have to do with the boot starting sequence) Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

You say that Since I assembled my computer...The little reboot switch has no effect,

This suggests that you may not have seated the Power switch leads correctly in to the mobo.
Switch off at the mains and check all cable blocks are seated firmly

The Bios is somewhere where a little caution is required for those not in the know

Check all the leads 1st and come back to us

Thanks for the input, but we're confusing the issue. The little reboot switch works, but it has no work to do when the computer is already running full capacity 100%. The issue is that the monitor won't come back to life - and I assure you - the monitor is not faulty.

I give you another example hoping it won't complicate matters.

fs9 can crash, it's happened to me on more than one occasion anyway.
The normal procedure is this: some kind of reluctance of fs loading something and than the prompt that MS is sorry but has to close FS down and do I want to send a report or not. As I'm normally off-line I choose not to send report - consequently FS shuts down, Windows shuts down - EVERYTHING shuts down... and without me doing ANYTHING, the computer, Windows and the monitor restart.
Of course, I have to relaunch FS - but that's not the issue.

Now, when fs9 crashes under the exact same condition and with me following the exact same procedure - the only thing that won't spring back to life is the monitor. Hence I can not see which effect, if any, my pressing various key combinations have. The only option, as stated earlier, is to kill the power via the PSU switch - switch it back on again, press the power switch on the front panel of my enclosure and I'm back in bussiness.

I've heard and read about warnings regarding the Registry and the BIOS uncountable times - that's why I'm cautious. But it does make you wonder why in the manual that comes with any new motherboard they'd devote a huge chapter of how to set up your BIOS.

I do NOT understand. Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I do NOT understand.

Dont worry 😕
Grab a torch some sandwiches and a pair of wellies 😂 ROFL

To enter the Bios or setup screen you have to press F2 or F8 or F11(mobo makers cant use the same key Doh! )Before Windows loads keep pressing the key
Ok not all bios screens are the same but you should have headings of ➡
Main, Set the PCs main clock and a few others
Advanced, set timings of memory and cpu core dont go there Nope
Security,Password setup
Power,power options
Boot,which device to boot from
Exit, home of the "Load Default settings" 👍

Navigate using the arrow keys,enter via the return key and exit via the Esc key
Have a look in power (most should be disabled)
Or goto Exit and hit load default settings

As I say not all Bios look the same,so have a look about,and if you do change anything,do one thing at a time and make a note of what it is set at before you change it
Also you should get a help screen telling what each setting is by highlighting it
Have you checked the mobo site for a forum as it maybe a common fault with an update to fix it

I had a simular problem to this where the PC would boot in to life,and the monitor would not unless I rebooted a couple of times.Then it ran perfect unill the next restart.Problem was a mobo fault,the fix was a new mobo Fear

Dive in son and have a look 😉

Just found this old page ➡

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Okay, let me put it this way:
1) When you built your system, did you make any changes to your BIOS?

2) When I put my system on 'standby' or 'sleep mode' I want my monitor to shut down (and that's what it does), the problem is I can't bring it back to life which is normally done by wiggling your mouse or hitting your spacebar for example.

3) When I put my system on 'standby' or 'sleep mode' I expect my computer to slow down (HDD for example) and when I wiggle my mouse or hit the space bar I expect everything to come back to life again.

This behaviour is not a figment of my imagination - even though I've only owned two computers prior to this one, the sleep- standby- call it what you will function always worked.

I'm sorry but I can't explain it any better. However if you would just answer me whether you did or did not make changes to your BIOS, I would at least have a starting point. (I suspect it might have to do with the boot starting sequence) Dont Know

1. Other than to config my primary boot device from CD to the hard drive after the initial install, no

2. i see

3. wouldn't know, never done that with my machine.. i just switch it off

4. i never suggested it was a figment of your imagination

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

To enter the Bios or setup screen you have to press F2 or F8 or F11(mobo makers cant use the same key Doh! )Before Windows loads keep pressing the key
Ok not all bios screens are the same but you should have headings of ➡
Main, Set the PCs main clock and a few others
Advanced, set timings of memory and cpu core dont go there Nope
Security,Password setup
Power,power options
Boot,which device to boot from
Exit, home of the "Load Default settings" 👍

Navigate using the arrow keys,enter via the return key and exit via the Esc key
Have a look in power (most should be disabled)
Or goto Exit and hit load default settings

Have you checked the mobo site for a forum as it maybe a common fault with an update to fix it

Just found this old page ➡

Everything you said ^^^ I'm quite familiar with after having read the Censored mobo manual a thousand times. Sorry for having wasted your time. I do not have to load the default settings as I have never changed any settings in the first place. Your list of : Main - Advanced- Security etc. is also straight forward -- let me just mention that the BIOS chapter of the mobo manual alone takes up 48 pages, written in a very ambiguous manner for a novice.
Checking the mobo site for a forum was the first thing I did, no luck - that's why I posted the link at the beginning so you could see for yourselfs. - Thanks for the link to the 'wannado' page.

I still think that the problem has to do with the boot starting sequence as I suggested earlier.

Anyway, I think we better leave it at that - thanks for the time and effort you have invested in this

Regards,
Rick Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

1. Other than to config my primary boot device from CD to the hard drive after the initial install, no

This is precisely the issue I was hoping you would be willing to elaborate on.
If time is tight however, or the problem is too trivial to waste time on - I'm not an angry footstomping child - I understand that you're bound to have other priorities - so, please, no hard feelings 🍻

Happy landings,
Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I get in a litle late to this interesting conversation and maybe too late....But since you said that it has to do with the boot sequence i will stay to the right suggestion Dr.Insight gives.

Do you have as first boot device your hard drive?
As an addition to TTTs suggestion many maufacturers use DEL button in order to enter BIOS setup.

And something more.
Check your CD/DVD drives and your HD-drives If you have plug in correctly the Master/Slave jumbers.
If you have 2 disks the one must be the master and the other the slave(except if you have SATA drives) and also if you use 2 CD/DVD drives.

If you have one disk he must be the master but in this case there is no matter if you dont have the jumber on it cause the system apoint it as master.
In the Bios menu you can check also which one is your first Boot device(maybe it has change to USB-device or something...(i dont think so but just in case...)Check also if you have connect correctly the flat cables to your MOBO.

This problem maybe also cause from your VGA.If i remember correct you faced up with the same drivers problem with dear Dr.Insight.Try to reinstal(obviously unistall first)your VGA and load the drivers from the CD you get when you buy it.Not update or anything else.

As a start to all of this i would remove for a few seconds(10-15)the MOBOs battery.Then i will try all of the above experments.

Dont give up...if there is a window open near you you can use it also... 😉 😉 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks for your input Greekman!!!

For a person of my make-up : two left hands and an abnormally working brain this seems like a good days work!!!

I will put my mind, heart and soul to it though and inform you of any progress via PM!!!

Sorry about the exlamation points - but something seems to be wrong with my keyboard!!!???...??? 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well my friend before you start all these complicated procceses above ,i just want to try the following 5 steps. ➡ ➡

1.Go to Control Panel and click Mouse.You will see the following window ➡

2.Click Hardware to get this Window ➡

3.Click Power Managment

4.You will get this window ➡

5.And finally tick the Allow this device etc etc...(Too long to right it... 😉 ) ➡

Close with OK all your opened windows...And turn of your system from Stand By option.

When its closed Left ot RIght click your mouse and let me know.... 😉

Please feel free for any kind of question and sorry for my late reply but i have to come back home which i have XP in order to make some experiments....

I hope that you will be helped but if you dont we dont give up...Its just machines created from humans... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thank you for all the time and effort you have invested in this Greekman. The steps you have illustrated are no mystery to me - unfortunately they have nothing to do with my problem.
The issue is not the computer not restarting. The computer will not go on standby - therefore it doesn't need restarting.
The issue is that the monitor is willing to go on standby - but won't restart.

I apologise to you and everyone who has tried to help - I take full responsibility for the confusion.

I made the mistake of misnaming the topic which has led to the wrong assumptions and conclusions.

Regards Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Tailhook,
Download the new Windows updates that came out today.
One has to do with the "hibernation" problem. (SP1)
Maybe it'll help, nothing to lose.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks for your input RM 👍 Just downloaded the outstanding updates.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

A last try.Check your VGA...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I appreciate your efforts Greekman but the issue is not the VGA.

Please ignore the whole thread - you're wasting your time while you should be enjoying wine, dance and ❤️

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Ok...Ok...I will follow your suggestions my friend... 😂