Help Me Please Need help In landing and finding the airport

Pro Member Trainee
vickysokhi Trainee

Hi, I am new to the world of flight simulation. I love flying but unfortunately due to money problem I am not able to make it a career, So i am taking the help of flight simulator to fulfill my dream.. But i am facing a biggest problem and that is landing, and finding the airport I had my last flight from Toronto to new Delhi which lasted more that 13 hr but when the i was about to reach my destination every thing messed up and i crash the plan bec i cant understand the ATC codes like airport is 3 o'clock 17 miles etc pls help me I don’t want to loose my hopes of flying again

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Be patient, not every flight in the beginning will be successful.

When they make a reference like 3:00 O'Clock think of a clock face laying face up on a table. Your heading is 12:00 O'Clock on the clock face. So 3:00 O'Clock would be 90 degrees to your right. Take notice of your heading and turn right 90 degrees.

6:00 O'Clock would be directly behind you and 9:00 O'Clock would be 90 degrees to your left. It's pretty simple really, just think of that clock face.

Pro Member Trainee
vickysokhi Trainee

Thanks all for ur reply and help me I am going to try allur tips.. JUst one more thing how to taxi properly I cant even do that so i have to start from active runway can we get somethng like toeing car or something

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Welcome aboard!

I hope this link helps you.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

Ahh yes, the good ol "Let's swipe FEM AND Agus0404's guides without asking permission and post them up to bolster our own image" post.

Anyways, to help you filter through all the junk, I'll repost Agus and my original guide.

Well no, it appears that he didn't even bother to show which is which, so i did find mine at least

1. When ATC says something like "Wife Beater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and maintain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockpit. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (these are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list until you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. Find 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the rightmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clicking it. Press the button that looks like this somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the Lear Jet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the direction and attitude of the pink arrows until they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you want to use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, and then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

The first rule is to taxi slowly. It depends on what plane you are flying as to exactly what procedure you will use. Some planes require you use the right and left brakes to turn and others don't. Those are usually tail dragger aircraft, most modern planes turn without the use of brakes.

You haven't mentioned what kind of plane you are flying.

Pro Member Trainee
vickysokhi Trainee

I am using boeing 747-400 and my system configuration is p4 3.2, 1gb ram, 256 ati g-card, 360hdd and microsoft side winder as joy control ..is tat configuration ok

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Yes, that is fine. There are those here who fly that type of aircraft who can be more help to you than I can. I don't fly jets.

They can be a lot more specific than I can on things like how to taxi that particular aircraft.

Guest Ed Guest

If you don't know how to find the airport and land, you might want to consider going through the flight training that came with FS09. Learn to fly in a Cessna, not a 747-- you'll learn a lot faster.

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
vickysokhi Trainee

Thanks every body for the help... I really appreciated that.. Can any body pls tell me how can I activate one of the feature of fl2004 in which u get red boxed when u approach the airport....I guess u all know what I am trying to say Embarassed ...I am not so good in words but i have read about that boxed in learning center but cant find......

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Are you talking about the red box's that you can use to stay on the proper course when landing? The imaginary box's in the sky? If that's it I will see if I can find the command for that. I haven't used them but I think they are available to use.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Hit the "Alt" key to bring up the menu bar at the top, select aircraft and the visual flight path. That gives you a choice of options for the type of visual aid you want to use.

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

Just for your information. Please be aware that the Visual Flight Path function is only available if you are flying an ILS landing.

Welcome aboard and best of luck....Flying can be a long learning, and some time frustrating process.

Pro Member Trainee
vickysokhi Trainee

Thank u all for replying to my quaries.... One more thing how much distance should be there between the aircraft and the airport before the pilot start decending and at wht altitute the boing 747 can can crusie
35000 or more and when shold I start decend

Don Wood Guest

Vicki - it is simply a matter of arithmatic. You need to determine your current altitude, the altitude of the initial approach fix, and the rate at which you will descend. Let's assume that you are at 35,000 feet, the intial approach fix is at 5,000 feet, and your descent rate will be 1,000 feet per minute. Since you plan to descend at 1,000 fpm and have 30,000 feet to descend, you must initiate the descent 30 minutes prior to your planned arrival at the IAF.

If you want to convert that to location to begin a descent, determine your average speed during the descent (remember, below 10,000 feet, you cannot exceed 250 knots) and calculate the distance you will travel while descending.

Using the above example of a 30 minute descent and assume an average groundspeed of 275 knots, you should begin your descent approximately 138 knautical miles from the IAF (275 / 60 * 30).

bloke555 Guest

Thanks a bunch Fire_Emblem_Master for your quick and easy guide to landing.

I been landing 747's with the GPS and just by eye, as the training with the instruments i didnt understand much. Was only having a 20% success rate landing by eye lol, so cheers for ya easy guide.

Its all starting to make sense now.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Welcome aboard!

I hope this link helps you.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

Ahh yes, the good ol "Let's swipe FEM AND Agus0404's guides without asking permission and post them up to bolster our own image" post.

Anyways, to help you filter through all the junk, I'll repost Agus and my original guide.

Well no, it appears that he didn't even bother to show which is which, so i did find mine at least

1. When ATC says something like "Wife Beater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and maintain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockpit. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (these are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list until you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. Find 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the rightmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clicking it. Press the button that looks like this somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the Lear Jet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the direction and attitude of the pink arrows until they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you want to use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, and then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

I've tried my hardest to be civil to you, but its wearing thin now, credit has now been given so stop being so pathetic and get over it. Furthermore, don't lecture others on being mature when you are acting like a 3 year old yourself. That is all I have to say.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/10486/king-kong/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...