SearchSearch 

How to Network

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

Does anyone know how to network a laptop and a pc together?

Basically I would like to be able to transfer files from my laptop to my new pc (when i get it).

My laptop is about a month old so it should be compatable shouldnt it?

many thanks

10 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

There are a lot of ways.The most simlpe and common is to CD or DVD RW and trasfer the files you like. 😉

For something more...scientific...check the following link ➡

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/bott_fstw.mspx

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

For ease and simplicity, I use a "TRUST USB2 EASY FILE TRANSFER CABLE"

This is a cable with USB connectors at each end, one to each computer, and with the supplied software, you acn set it in a variety of ways, for your purpose just set your main computer to read your lap-top, you can then transfer, read, or write files as you wish.

I think I paid around £15.00p, well worth it, for me, as I am frequently upgrading my hardware, etc.

HTHs

Check out: http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=13840

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

As usual gents the very infomation I required, many thanks, i will be going for the cable transfer,

thanks 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Hi Sonicninja, just seen your pic, if you want to sim over 2 computers, if you study Trust site, they do a cable for game play between 2 computers.

I run my sim on 4 computers linked at times, that's another story.

If you want to use your lap-top as another monitor for simming, I can point you in the right direction also.

Just have a look here - http://www.maxivista.com/

HTHs

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

cheers ken, that wasnt what i was after but im going to buy that too looks great 🙂

thanks

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Glad to help, suggest you try the free Demo Maxvista first, as it can be a mite fussy. Depends on your setup and background software. It doesn't like running under ZoneAlarm very much. Also there can be a conflict with some graphic card drivers, I use nVidia and I do have to do a bit of juggling to get smooth running. If you only want to link two computers the Trust Cabling is the best, have found no conflicts or problems, easy to setup and use.

As I use a router with FireWall, I turn ZA off when using MV. Also please note there are three versions and prices.

HTHs

Pro Member Trainee
DavidCox Trainee

Message for KenTel .......

Ken,

I see you use MaxiVista with Nvidia Graphics cards - so do I but I can't get decent frame rates as soon as I undock my second View and drag it to the second monitor.

Could you enlighten me on the settings that work for you, please

Many thanks

David Cox

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Sorry David, at present I'm having troubles myself, with framerates (fps) on Multiplay. And haven't used Maxvista with MP, due to this problem.

I run hosting for MultiPlay (Using FSHost) and Ventrilo (Have tried Teamspeak, Roger Wilco, and Skype, but Ventrilo most reliable), and my fps has suffered running these, without even trying Maxvista also.

I have found for quick cures, using fstweaks is a great help, but Traffic and scenery are cut to a minimum.

http://tweakfs.com/

Sorry I can't help more at present. But after tasting Multiplay, flying alone loses it's interest.

All I can say from my past use of MV, is lock your fps to around 20. One of my utility programs for fs, shows 3 numbers for fps when running. Top speed, Average, and lowest. And the numbers are facinating to watch changes as you alter various setting in fs. I believe it is fstweaks that shows these numbers. Go to their site, above, grab a copy of any of the programs, they all have free demo modes. I paid for fstweaks, found it very useful.

HTHs