96%
 96%  [ 61 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 63

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Although I know you all are avid flight sim fans,have you ever actually been inside a real aircraft cockpit?

For me I have been in many- infact I think thats how I started getting interested in flying. When going on holidays as a kid, my parents often took me up to the flight deck to have a look at the controls and chat with the pilots (that was before 9/11) I've also flown some GA planes and been inside many a cockpit at airshows and meuseams 😂

95 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Boeing 737.When i was 15.I have no idea about simulators etc. neither for computers of course... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

My father was in the Royal Air Force and took me into the cockpit of an RAF Vulcan in 1978 when I was 5 years old, that was it for me I just couldnt get enough of aircraft after that, I cant tell you how many aircraft I have been in since, my all time favorite has to be the Phantom.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

I was in a Piper Cherokee in flight about 2 years ago then last year I was in Midwest Airlines MD-80 N814ME after a flight from MCO to MKE. Also last year I took my first lesson in a 172.

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

I always go in the cockpits of the flights I go in, plus I take flight lessons in the C172.

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

ive been in a 737. i was flying to alaska with my uncle and he knew the pilot so he took me inside and let me look, but i was like 10 then and i was not itrested in planes then. also when i was in alaska we rode in a float plane and i got to sit in the front, it was funny cuz there was a button that said "DO NOT PUSH" 😉

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

atreyu wrote:

ive been in a 737. i was flying to alaska with my uncle and he knew the pilot so he took me inside and let me look, but i was like 10 then and i was not itrested in planes then. also when i was in alaska we rode in a float plane and i got to sit in the front, it was funny cuz there was a button that said "DO NOT PUSH" 😉

So you pushed it, right?

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I was in a Hawker 400 and a Challenger 600 I believe. Don't know who makes them.
I just want to add that In the Challenger I got to do a preflight checklist. 😎

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

sylvan wrote:

atreyu wrote:

So you pushed it, right?

lol, no

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Unfortunately only a 172 and shortly a 152, although I have been in cockpits stored in museums.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

B-52

Edit: Also a DC-9

Last edited by CrashGordon on Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

4 of us and fishing+diving equipment went to Bahia de Los Angeles for a few days vacation in a Beech "V" tail.
I've never been in an airliners cockpit but have looked in often many years ago when fear didn't dominate the sky's.

Radar

Last edited by RadarMan on Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I've been in so many I'm sure I would leave some out if I tried to list them all, so I will name just a couple. One that might be of particular interest since so many seem to have their own airline with it is the DC3/C47.

Another that I liked not so much for the cockpit but for what it was and how much fun it was to fly in was a 1927 New Standard biplane. For sheer fun nothing beats an open cockpit biplane IMO.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

If you all want to get into some cockpits, go to an air show (i.e. AOPA show), often people try and sell planes there (like companys or something) They might even offer you a test ride.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

If it's just checking out the cockpits you want the Naval Air Station Museum in Pensacola has many cockpits in an area dedicated to that. They are military aircraft, jets and helos. You can climb in and make yourself comfortable and check it all out at your leisure.

I've been in many of them, but I wasn't counting them in my earlier post.

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

i just rememberd that i was in a sr-71 at the flight museum in seattle, it was one that crashed but i guess they were able to salvege the nose part/cockpit. i also saw a concorde at the flight museum,but it was behide a glass thing. and the air force one 707, also at the flight museum

Last edited by atreyu on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

B-52

OMG... ❗

Red Alert... ❗

😉

I had the chance to sit inside a F-16 when I was a teen. It was simply amazing how small the cockpit was. The instruments were very close to me and the leg room was not much. The seat was reclined to help with the G force's. The view outside to cockpit was crazy! You could not see the wing looking side to side. You would have to look back just to see it! Love to take a ride in one if I had the chance!!

JetMan

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

ive been in several cockpits, whilst in flight too!

But one of my favourite is the A321 that is the pic on my Avator, it was amazing, they actually let me take pics and explained loads too.

I just think the guys that fly these things for real are genius's, i know enough for a sim but real life is so so different!!

Micah 😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I've been in the cockpit of a DC3, a UH1B, a "Chinook" (forget the designation =p) and just took a peek into a 737's (not sure which variant, either a 300 or 400). Thass 'it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

I have been in an Airbus of some sort - i cannot remember which one as i was only very young. However i remember all the buttons and gauges which actually made me wonder - the people who create and fly these machines are real GENIUSES!! - Fascinating!

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Lets just say I envy you guys/girls being given seats for a flight. I'm regarded as staff and very often when I go somewhere I have to sit in the galley or cockpit. Next week Wednesday I'll be flying in an A340-300 to Hong Kong and I'll probably be in the cockpit. Of course I love watching videos of flights so if I have an extra memory card for my video camera I'll film the flight from the cockpit and upload it for all to see here at flyaway.

I guess I could relate to WarHawk42, I've been in so many cockpits that if I just had to try mention them all I'm sure I would miss tons out.

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

Last time i was in a cockpit was 2 months before september 11th when i was 11 i think. Ive been in cockpit of a 767. 727, 737. any others i cant remember.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

What I'm about to post is quite sad really.......

What for it.........................................
What...................................................

I HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN OR NEAR A PLANE Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

and I'm 26. I haven't even taken a flight aboard before.

So I'm the only the one who has voted no.

Regards,
Liono

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

LOL- who hasnt been inside a cockpit?

I have been inside:

2 Concorde Cockpits (one at heathrow, one at duxford)
DC-3
Air New Zealand Boeing 747
Monarch Air Boeing 777
Britannia Boeing 777
Lesuire Air (Air 2000) Airbus A320
Cessna 152
Cessna 182
Piper Cherokee Arrow
Red Arrows BAE Hawk
Lockheed Hercules (RNZAF)

Oh sod it....theres to many to remember lol

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Liono wrote:

What I'm about to post is quite sad really.......

What for it.........................................
What...................................................

I HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN OR NEAR A PLANE Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

and I'm 26. I haven't even taken a flight aboard before.

So I'm the only the one who has voted no.

Regards,
Liono

Believe me when I tell you FS9 cannot compare to the experience of flying in a real plane.

Get yourself out to a local airport and find someone who will take you up. It doesn't matter whether it's a J3 Cub, Cessna or what, just do it. The sensation of flight is something the sim cannot duplicate.

I think I was 10 the first time I went up, it was in a Cessna 140.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I forgot that I once flew in a glider. That really felt peaceful and quiet. Too bad you can't stay up in those longer.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Went through some photos, found out that I was in a:
A319

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

The prototype Spitfire

B17 (the one used in the film Memphis Belle)

Mosquito

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Sorry Liono, didn't mean to write my last post right after your last post 😕 You live close to Luton, so why not hijack an easyjet plane? 😂 lol- proplem solved!

I've been in a glider too. It was great fun and I had so much control over the aircraft but at the end of my flight I felt really sick though thanks to the crap rough landing I made 🙄

Last edited by ceetee on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

😀 im 11 and ive been in a b737-200, 300, 500, 700, a318, a319, a320, siskorsky sky crane, apache, cobra, erj 145, dc-3, and alot more that i forget. the first time i flew in a plane was when i was 6 months old. of course i forgot that but i was going 2 florida. 😀

Yes I was on a flight deck before. It was one of those times when you're a kid and the air hostess asks if you'd like to have a look at the cockpit and talk to the pilots.

I remember thinking there were an awful lot of buttons.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

here is one of the cockpits i have been in.

amazing!

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Although I've been on plenty of flights, I've never been inside a real cockpit before. My curiosity for how it was done, sparked my interest in flight, and now I'm here.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

does anyone else have photos of flightdecks they have been in?

cheekytrolly, i would love to see the concord!!

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

erm..

Here are some pics,

B17:

Mosquito:

I have also been in a Catalina cockpit, I will dig out the pics of the prototype Spit and the Catalina, I am rebuilding my machine at the moment.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I have some photos of the Cordcorde cockpit but there where taken on a old fashoned manual camera and I need to scan them in, which I'll do later and post here.

For now, heres a picture of the DC-3 cockpit I flew in.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Great Shots Insight!!!

Where did you get to go inside a Mosquito, let alone the B-17??? I envy you greatly! 😉

I havn't been inside a Catalina, but there is one based at my local airfield that has been restored by the 'NZ Warbirds Assosication' and it regually flys over my house. Heres a close up photo if your interetsed:

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

While being in the ground crew, while serving in the RAF, I had the pleasure several times of joyrides in various aircraft.

B-17, B-29, a couple of Lancs, well more than a couple, as it was a Lanc base, Scampton, yes that's the one, and an odd trip or two in the lone Mossie on base, the Pathfinder.

The most memoriable, without any doubt, was the Lanc. Though for sheer G-Force, in those days, the Mossie came a close second.

But until this year, I have never been in control, and that is something I shall never forget.

See my Avatar, I'm at the controls of a TM.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Amazing pics Dr Insight. ❗ 😳 😳 😳 Thanks for them ❗

Ohhhh...BTW...you are ugly Puke Up .... 😉 😉 😉 (kidding...but this doesnt change anything 😉 ....)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

wow Kentel how I envy you!

I blagged my way into the cockpit of the B17 at Flying Legends at Duxford one year (she is called the SallyB and flew as the Memphis Belle on the film)

The Mosquito was at the DeHavilland museum at junction 22 on the M25, my lovely girlfriend fluttered her eyelids at the guy in charge and I got to take my time exploring the Mosquito

She plans to get me inside the Lanc at Duxford soon and hopefully a later version of the Spitfire.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Hi Insight, I know "Sally", a lovely old lady!

I've a large pic of this, looks most imposing. I took it while waiting to get in the TM.

vwwanksta69 Guest

Gulfstream IV
[img][/img]

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I also saw Sally B at duxford!

(excuse the quality please, I had the scanner on the wrong setting)

Well heres the picture of the Corcode cockpit you asked for Micah:

While I was scanning in the pics above, I also scanned in some more cool pics I took at Duxford which you can see below by clicking the links:

The Blackbird: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/444000/blackbirdSmall.jpg

Lancaster, Tiger Moth and Condcorde: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/444000/duxfordSmall.jpg

Random RAF Harrier flying over: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/444000/HarrierSmall.jpg

😎

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

that concord is so so cramped!!

Must have to be a midget to fly it!

Micah

(no offence to midgets!)

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

This is a repaint for the default DC3 in FS9. The Tico Belle is one of the DC3's I have been in and my favorite DC3. She served in the D Day landing at Normandy and after, the invasion stripes were real. She also served in the Berlin air lift after the war. She then served with a couple of foreign governments before finding a home with the Valiant Air Command in Titusville Florida. I have been all over this bird from one end to the other.

I probably have a part in this plane that I helped manufacture. When I worked for an aircraft factory we made an upgraded part for all the DC3's still in existence.

Last edited by WarHawk42 on Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I went in a 747-200 cockpit earlier this year. My dad's friend owns it 😳

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I've a pic somewhere of the Concord cockpit, sure it doesn't look as cramped as this. Probably something to do with Camera lens focal length, etc. I took mine with a wide angle. Have to dig into my archives.

Warhawk, that Tico Belle could be one of the planes that tried to chew my ass off. Ass I served on the Berlin Airlift, and for a while drove one of the 'Follow Me' Striped Jeeps, flat out along the perimeter track, with a returning plane in hot pursuit, I'm sure they enjoyed it! The radio operator alongside me, used to change his briefs frequently.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

WarHawk and KenTel or anyone else with experiences of a similar kind, you would do many of us a favour by starting a dedicated topic in whichever Forum you deem fit.

True stories like these are simply fascinating and I find them often closer to the truth and therefore more educational than many socalled 'documentaries' on TV. Read

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

KenTel wrote:

Warhawk, that Tico Belle could be one of the planes that tried to chew my ass off. Ass I served on the Berlin Airlift, and for a while drove one of the 'Follow Me' Striped Jeeps, flat out along the perimeter track, with a returning plane in hot pursuit, I'm sure they enjoyed it! The radio operator alongside me, used to change his briefs frequently.

😂 That could be entirely possible, I guess you were keeping your fingers crossed the jeep didn't sputter.

It is a small world after all. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

WarHawk and KenTel or anyone else with experiences of a similar kind, you would do many of us a favour by starting a dedicated topic in whichever Forum you deem fit.

True stories like these are simply fascinating and I find them often closer to the truth and therefore more educational than many socalled 'documentaries' on TV. Read

I agree with you, that could be a very interesting thread. I'm sure we have posters here who have stories they could tell. I was way too young to have been in WW2, but I have always been fascinated by the aircraft of that war. I never miss a chance to get up close to one of those old war birds. They are a piece of history for me that is unforgettable.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well, I was a mite too young to see action, but did experience the occupation of Germany, and found that, no matter what colour, kith, or kin, very few people enjoy warfare, or bloodshed. Which is usually brought about by those in power, with nothing better to do, or having an unbalanced mind.

My recollections, just the few, are related to the aftermath, or early peacetime. Mostly, in my eyes, humorous as they are the ones most remembered.

If someone starts a thread on this subject, no doubt I can find a couple more incidents to relate. But no lethal weaponry involved.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

How did you guys post those pictures because I've got a few to show?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

This is a guide i already have send to two more great members.I just copy paste it for you JVD.

There are two websites which you can upload your pics.

The first is the

http://www.imageshack.us/

The second one(and this i prefer more) is the

http://www.photobucket.com/

In the first one(imageshack) you can see in the opening page that you can upload pics until the size of 1024kb and also choose the way and the place you will share them so it gives you some defaults depending the place you will sharing your pic.
If you have larger pics than this size of 1024 kb you have to resize them by yourself using your viewer program.Most of viewers have a tool that helps you resize the pics.

The other site (photobucket) resizes pictures by itself as you will notice it give you the option to create your own albums and share them with us the link in order to see a team of uploaded pics from you(you will notice the option Sumbit Multple PicsYou can upload untill 19pics) by simple give us the link you copy and paste from the address of your browser.If you want to share a specific image you have two ways.First by giving us the link Url :http://.....
or by giving us directly the photo with copy paste the Img: [IMG]http://.....

As about for anykind of big files you want to share you can use

http://www.yousendit.com/

Well that was...i hope i was helpful and of course im here for futher questions or instructions.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Might ber a help if we all kept our pics below say 650 pixels wide, as if bigger it causes this frame overflow, that this topic is suffering. Sorry Tico B............

And I second Greekmans recommendation for PhotoBucket..... I have a Premium account, and find it well worth the money.

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Been in many military and a few civilian airliner cockpits. In my 23 yrs in aircraft maintenance I had the pleasure to ride in the cockpit in transports, like the KC-135 refueler (B-707) and C-141; also was able to take controls of smaller aircraft like T-38 and fly. As I was in aircraft maintenance, also ran jet engines on all aircraft I worked on like the SR-71; T-38; KC-135; FB-111; C-130; T-33; U-2. Also worked on and flew in H-53 helicopters. Have never got enough of flying or anything aircraft ! Have a A&P License, but wasn't willing to relocate to where I could get a job with airlines. One place everyone should try to visit is the Air Force Museum at Dayton, OH ...rob

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Radarman, why did my post above come out so wide? thnx, rob

Pro Member Chief Captain

Habu wrote:

Been in many military and a few civilian airliner cockpits. In my 23 yrs in aircraft maintenance I had the pleasure to ride in the cockpit in transports, like the KC-135 refueler (B-707) and C-141; also was able to take controls of smaller aircraft like T-38 and fly. As I was in aircraft maintenance, also ran jet engines on all aircraft I worked on like the SR-71; T-38; KC-135; FB-111; C-130; T-33; U-2. Also worked on and flew in H-53 helicopters. Have never got enough of flying or anything aircraft ! Have a A&P License, but wasn't willing to relocate to where I could get a job with airlines. One place everyone should try to visit is the Air Force Museum at Dayton, OH ...rob

Whats an A&P license?
🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Habu wrote:

Radarman, why did my post above come out so wide? thnx, rob

Rob,
Someone (me Embarassed ) posted a screenshot that was too wide so it made the entire thread this wide.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Where is this post? ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Where is this post? ❓

Page 1 but I just looked and it isn't the problem, somehing else did it. Dont Know

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

Where is this post? ❓

Page 1 but I just looked and it isn't the problem, somehing else did it. Dont Know

Radar

Guilty as charged, but problem fixed. Wall Bashing

Pro Member First Officer
oreo005 First Officer

ive been on a plane before....the pilot let me take control but only for a while.I think he didnt trust me 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain

oreo005 wrote:

ive been on a plane before....the pilot let me take control but only for a while.I think he didnt trust me 😞

😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Been strapped into several cockpits, single- and twinseaters - the ones where all you have is a stick, pedals, altimeter and a little watchlike looking thing that tells you how slow you're going - if it works, that is. Ninja

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Whats an A&P license?

"Airframe and Power Plant License," issued by DOT/FAA ...necessary to perform / and or sign off maintenance on any aircraft under FAA authority.

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

Yes, my dad has been working on F-16's for 20 years now, and when his company (Lockheed of course) had air shows I would always sit in the cockpit of an F-16, I LOVE those a/c.

Latley, I've been wanting to ask the F-15 crew cheifs if I can look inside the cockpit. 😀

A 767 and a mooney b. I got to fly the mooney b

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Currently i am constantly in the cockpit of the beloved C-152, flying out of Dundee airport in Tayside, Scotland. This is a link if anyone wants to see what the club is like. http://www.taysideaviation.co.uk At the moment i am trying to gain my PPL, not too long to go now hopefully.

The best experience, however, was when i flew down to london heathrow from Edinburgh. My cousin sent tickets for my sister and I to fly down to london for the weekend and see the sights as our christmas. At that point i had not seen my cousin in a good 2-3 years. It was a british airways flight and it took place early january in 2000. With this being pre 9/11 we were able to go into the cockpit of the aircraft. I can not give a specific aircraft but i am quite sure it was a boeing 737-700 or there abouts.

The flight departed late in the evening and it was very quite onboard, with a very small occupancy. During our inflight dinner we were asked if we had ever flown before. I stated that my sister and i had but that we had never been in the cockpit. At that we were immediately asked if we wanted to go into the cockpit.

I had the best seat in the house, the middle seat right behind the throttle quadrants. We were in the cockpit about 20mins approaching london. The lights from London added a glow to the smog layer that could be seen as we approached london. The approach in was awesome as well. I could see the runway approach lighting from miles away, other aircraft in the air, the city lights shimmering, the odd cloud here and there. The pilots in command seemed to make the approach seem so simple.

One thing that does stick out in my mind is the vastness of Heathrow, we seemed to taxi for ages to the designated terminal. This was truely an experience i will never forget.[url][/url]

Pro Member First Officer
oreo005 First Officer

nice repaint, WarHawk42

Pro Member Trainee
Ben (eagle3) Trainee

I'v flown a piper cub 😀 😀 😀 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

I live in the cockpit of planes...sometimes I wish I could get out of them...

My favorites have been the full glass cockpit of the C-17, and a take-off from Rome in a 767.

I'm most proficient in the F-15E, but my most recent is a retired Delta 707, which was pretty darn cool, although really congested, and now an F/A-22, which doesn't look as complicated, until you realize how much each of the glass displays can do.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

ive been in a piper cherokee 140

thats the airplane I took my first lesson in on April 1st, 2006

matrixquad Guest

WarHawk42 wrote:

This is a repaint for the default DC3 in FS9. The Tico Belle is one of the DC3's I have been in and my favorite DC3. She served in the D Day landing at Normandy and after, the invasion stripes were real. She also served in the Berlin air lift after the war. She then served with a couple of foreign governments before finding a home with the Valiant Air Command in Titusville Florida. I have been all over this bird from one end to the other.

I probably have a part in this plane that I helped manufacture. When I worked for an aircraft factory we made an upgraded part for all the DC3's still in existence.

I spent many years with the TICO Belle. Giving tours, cleaning her, and helping out in her at airshows. During D-day a AAA round went right through the floor of the radio operator's station and up through the top - with out exploding. One of my fondest memories was lying prone toward the tip of the left wing, over a Spanish ME-109. First, I thought of how horrible it would be to drop something and damage it. Then my tension gave way to recognizing how privileged I was.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

oh and ive also been in a C-130 cockpit
Now that was fun!

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

been in a chinook's cockpit, typhoon, harrier and hawk.
uber cool.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

I've been in one recently, when I was going from Málaga to Paris (Charles de Gaulle), in an Airbus A320, flying with AIR FRANCE.

TimTim Guest

I've been in the pilot seat of a 4-seater Cessna Skyhawk, does that count??

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

I´ve benn in a Mirage 2000 cockpit, an in an IAI Kfir cockpit, both amazing aircraft.

Mirage 2000

Last edited by Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) on Thu May 18, 2006 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Trainee
mcmxl Trainee

I have been in the cockpit of a lockheed C-141. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

let's see.. where do i start?

i've been on many vacations.. and as a youngster my dad always used to arrange that i could go up and see the flight deck after the flight

the ones i remember most:
-Hawaiian Airlines DC-9-50
-Comair CRJ-200
-American DC-10
-USAirways Express Dash-8

..also a DC-3, an F-4 Phantom, and a WWII era P-47 Thunderbolt at an air museum a few years ago..

also i know a person who works in the air national guard.. i got a complete tour of a C-5 Galaxy flight deck and he let my fly the full-sized simulator... which was amazing

i've also been at the controls of a cessna 152 on two "discovery" flights.
...im starting my private license lessons in august. 😉 😎

Yes Midwest 717 MKE-MCO
Ryanair 737-800 MKE-PVR
Apple vacatons md 90 MKE-cancun
c 152 Leson in waukeshau
c 170 senic tour of milwaukee
Citabria adventure fun flyin
and in two days the same citabria to a fly in

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Also been in:

737-200,400
747-400,sp
A320
A319
MD-86
etc.

Airlines: Swiss ÇAir, Aerolines Argentinas, LAN group, Mexicana, Aeromexico, AirFrance, LAB, and low cost airlines.

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

I have had the amzing opportunity to get the jumpseat on an A330 for a 10 hour flight thanks to my ouncle 😀 😀 . I have also been able to take the left seat on a Cessna 152 for a couple of times

Edited to add: I have also been in the flight deck of the A310 , 767, L1011, C172, Belanca scout, and 757

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

Yes, I've flown in Beechraft Bonanzas, Piper Cherokee Six, and Cessna 172 with friends and got some time at the controls of all. I've soloed in Cessna 152s. I've ridden in the cockpit of a Beechraft Queen Air but didn't get to fly it. I was in a Lockheed Electra cockpit as a kid and I've been in C-130 and B-17 cockpits at air shows. Almost forgot I've flown in DC-3s and Grumman Goose and stuck my head in the cockpit of each.

donco Guest

I have and have flown for hundreds of hours.

I can no longer qualify for my medical and the Sims help me "keep in touch"

AIRCRAFT

C 172, C150, C152, C180, C210P
Mooney 252
Beach Bonanza
C117
Piper Warrior, Tomahawk

Hellicopters
Huey
Robinson

I find the sims to be extremely realistic

Pro Member Trainee
heathallen Trainee

Never been in the cockpit of anything *sigh*

I would love to at least look around in one someday. If any of you touchdown in the Seattle area.......hehe 😀

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

I have been in many real cockpits. I started flying when I was 14. Cessna 150 (Not a 152). Solo'ed on 16th birthday, and by that time I had went so far as doing PAR approaches--(Look it up)

I have flown seval aircraft by the time I was 18 incliding Cessna 150, 172 Piper Cherokee, Grumman TR-2. Since then I have been in many other types including Cessna 310 & 402, DC-3, A-37, B-737, C-5A,A-10-to name a few.

As for Flight Sims..Well, I first had a Commadore 64 and ran a Stealth Sim on it, Got a Pc and had many many games-Old Favotite was Chuck Yeagers Air Combat--this was a great game, wish someone would do it up to current standards. Flew A-10, sim, Had very first versions of MicroSoft Flight sim--I remember the days of simple Live graphics. Another favorite was Stormovik (INot the IL2 game, but a very old vga game) of course I flew FS98 for years--fianlly got FS2K2 and loved it, then FS 2K4--

Some of FS2k2 was more enjoyable than FS2k4, but FS2k4 is great, I fly it and also LOCKON, and very upgraded Falcon4.

I only hope microsoft devotes some time into REALISTIC flight physics. I am certain a lot of you think you can fly, but I tell you the truth here, I rather doubt most of you PC only pilots would be able to get a Cessna 152 off and flying or land it in one peice. Real flight is VERY VERY different than Sim flight. The very idea the Joe Shmo could hop into a 737 and fly is around with out training is a joke. I dare say even starting one up would be impossible for most to do, and flying one accross the country and landing would NEVER happen. So remember, it is ONLY a simulator.

Capt. Dennison

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I tell you the truth here, I rather doubt most of you PC only pilots would be able to get a Cessna 152 off and flying or land it in one peice.

😂 Haha, well actually I did exactly that on my 13th birthday:

(You can download a free trial of this c152 , as part of Just Flight’s flying club here)

Although this is not the topic here, sim-flying is actually a great help for real flying, and although it is obvious that the simulator is not as accurate as real life, (hence the use of the word “simulate”) it is about as close as you are going to get on your home computer, and greatly enhances your knowledge and understanding of flight, as well as it being a very fun hobby too.

I only hope microsoft devotes some time into REALISTIC flight physics.

Again, off topic, but if you want more realistic flight dynamics, either spend some money on payware addons that have been tested and had the input from real pilots, or play XPLANE, which focuses more on the physics side of flight simulation rather than accurate world and aircraft detail.

The actual question I asked in this thread was ‘Have you ever been in a real cockpit’ not, ‘Please come and lecture us on the difference between computers and real aircraft’ 🙄

Anyway, back to cockpits…😉

Pro Member Trainee
chad_ryan86 Trainee

My dad is a aircraft engineer so I've been in lots of Sikorsky S-61s, Bell 206b Jetrangers, a twin otter, a beaver, etc.

Clive M. Guest

In 2000 I flew in the cockpit from Brisbane to Sydney. From takeoff to landing. We were early to Sydney, so we did a little sightseing. We flew over the Captains house in Sydney, then out toward the sea for a fantastic sunrise. This was a chance of a lifetime. I'm sure it will never happen again. Because of all the terrorists.

Pro Member Trainee
EGNRflyer Trainee

707,737,747,757,767,A320,FOKKER 100 and my fav DC 3 that i help fund with air atlantique in coventry. I have also been in a chipmunk when i was in the A.T.C.

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Been flying for real for 20 years. C-130, DC-10, Learjet 35. Have a 737 type rating from simulator training. Should start flying 737 for real in a couple of months. In fact the avatar next to this post was taken on a trip I flew to Poznan Poland back in 2004. Found this picture a few days later on airliners.net. I checked the date of the photo and the tail number. It matched my logbook. If you look closely, you can see my arm wiping the condensation off the inside of the cockpit window.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Yes but partly. I've been inside a Cessna cockpit (don't know what type-Skyhawk maybe) but I sat in the back. I can see some instruments though. My dad even asked me if I want to sit in the copilot's seat. But I thought I was going to fly the plane when I wasn't (thinking what are you crazy?! I can't fly a real plane!) so I sat in the back seat.

x pilot Guest

cessna's, pritty much all of them, i started my training in a 1956 c172(Z-TWO), that was fun... pipers pritty much all of the, aeromacci al69b, mooneys, king airs, dhc bufalo,rar merlins,c130,lynx,gazzels,boeing737s,dc-9's,dc3,mirage F1.. nothing really flash, where i used to fly all the planes were old and nothing fancy to like what rolls out of hangers these days, but i still prefere the old stlyle cockpit with buttons and switches not playstations..

Pro Member Trainee
calum Trainee

I had two flying lessons in a Cessna last Summer. I had only been using flight simulator for a week at that point.

I found it very close to the simulator, except obviously you cant feel the movement and turbulence on a PC!

Calum