Quantas flights

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Qantas flights are having to make an extra stop at Stanstead to take on more fuel as Heathrow are limiting the ammount because of the fuel depot fire ➡

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/12/16/uhemel.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/12/16/ixportaltop.html

Answers 23 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

😳 😳 😳 ❗

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Qantas flights are having to make an extra stop at Stanstead to take on more fuel as Heathrow are limiting the ammount because of the fuel depot fire ➡

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/12/16/uhemel.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/12/16/ixportaltop.html

Qantas is one of the words that doesn't have a 'u' after the 'q'. Just thought I'd add that in. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

Can I join in?

Stansted isn't spelt Stanstead 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services 😉

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Queensland And Northern
Territory Aerial Services 😉

Wow, I never knew that. Embarassed Qantas is now anything but Queensland and Northern Territory, its all over the world.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I flew Qantas once in my life - last year - it was about a 9 hr hop.
Never again. I'd rather walk or swim or crawl than fly Qantas again.

My gripe is with the cabin crew. I had no idea anyone working with the public could be so rude 😳
If I had a say in it, I wouldn't let them anywhere near british airspace, let alone land ❗

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

I flew Qantas once in my life - last year - it was about a 9 hr hop.

My gripe is with the cabin crew. I had no idea anyone working with the public could be so rude 😳
If I had a say in it, I wouldn't let them anywhere near british airspace, let alone land ❗

That is exactly why everyone should fly Air NZ. 😉 I'm suprised you said that Tailhook, I would have thought they would have resonable service, but obviously not.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Trust me Jarred - that immaculate reputation of Qant Ass is a myth.
To be fair, from what I've been reading they have excellent pilots and that flight I was on was no exception in this regard. We descended into a typical monsoonal Singapore - there was no danger of bringing up the inflight cuisine - besides a bag of crackers there hadn't been any... anyway, those pilots put that 744 onto the tarmac so smoothly, you couldn't feel the wheels touching the ground.

But what good is the expertise of the pilots when you almost get killed by the cabincrew long before you arrive at your destination???

Air Newzealand? They never go where I wanna go 😀

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Trust me Jarred - that immaculate reputation of Qant Ass is a myth.
To be fair, from what I've been reading they have excellent pilots and that flight I was on was no exception in this regard. We descended into a typical monsoonal Singapore - there was no danger of bringing up the inflight cuisine - besides a bag of crackers there hadn't been any... anyway, those pilots put that 744 onto the tarmac so smoothly, you couldn't feel the wheels touching the ground.

But what good is the expertise of the pilots when you almost get killed by the cabincrew long before you arrive at your destination???

Air Newzealand? They never go where I wanna go 😀

I suppose they aren't really of much help unless your a NZ'er, where they fly to the majority of places where passengers would want to go. Unlucky me hasn't even been on an Air NZ flight, just their budget subsidary Freedom Air across the Tasman to Australia. I believe Air NZ have lately won an award for 'best long haul' or something similar.

Our new CEO sounds pretty radical, he has already expressed his interest to dump 600 engineering staff and send the planes to Asia to be serviced. Whether they will be dumped will be announced shortly I believe, they had better not or they may just get a complaint letter from me. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

ROFL ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

Our new CEO sounds pretty radical, he has already expressed his interest to dump 600 engineering staff and send the planes to Asia to be serviced. Whether they will be dumped will be announced shortly I believe, they had better not or they may just get a complaint letter from me.

Don't waste your ink. 'Outsourcing' yet another inevitable trend of the times is here to stay. All large companies, aviation or not, are already or are about to do it. Many Pros and Cons and because there are so many of them, it has become yet another convenient pointscoring issue for our politicians.

Enough said Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

jarred_01 wrote:

Our new CEO sounds pretty radical, he has already expressed his interest to dump 600 engineering staff and send the planes to Asia to be serviced. Whether they will be dumped will be announced shortly I believe, they had better not or they may just get a complaint letter from me.

Don't waste your ink. 'Outsourcing' yet another inevitable trend of the times is here to stay. All large companies, aviation or not, are already or are about to do it. Many Pros and Cons and because there are so many of them, it has become yet another convenient pointscoring issue for our politicians.

Enough said Evil or Very Mad

Ah yes, surely our beloved policticians will have a debate soon enough. 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Haha. I've been on Air NZ 747 from London to Auckland (and back) and don't think they are that bad. The cabin crew are really friendly and I was allowed into the cockpit. The only bad thing was that there wen't TV's in the back of your seat, there were just a few smalls on's on the cabin celing!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

Haha. I've been on Air NZ 747 from London to Auckland (and back) and don't think they are that bad...

Who in this whole thread claimed that Air NZ was bad ❓

Read Read Read Read Read

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

Haha. I've been on Air NZ 747 from London to Auckland (and back) and don't think they are that bad. The cabin crew are really friendly and I was allowed into the cockpit. The only bad thing was that there wen't TV's in the back of your seat, there were just a few smalls on's on the cabin celing!

Lol, we are talking about how bad Qantas is not Air NZ! 😂 Their (ANZ) IFE systems have been upgraded on the 744's to each individual seat in economy, and lie-flat beds in business class.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Wall Bashing you were just talking about how the CEO's bad choice is firing 600 staff... 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

Wall Bashing you were just talking about how the CEO's bad choice is firing 600 staff... 🙄

Firstly, whether the CEO's decision is a bad one or not is debatable.

Secondly, even if the CEO were the devil incarnate - that in itself has no effect on the airline's reputation.

And finally, get into the habit of reading instead of scanning - it might prevent you from attracting those terrible headaches.
Devil

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Just noticed on the TVNZ website that Air NZ has laid off 110 engineering staff in the wide-bodied engine maintenance facility, with the the fate of the remaining 507 jobs in the wide-bodied airframe facility to be announced in February.

The outsourcing of the 110 employees is expected to save Air NZ $53 million (NZD) over the next 5 years, and they mentioned that for the airframe facility to stay they would need to save at least $48 million (NZD).

The related video proved interesting with the reporter being questioned on where the maintenance would take place, and he said they aren't too sure, however it may be in either Germany, Singapore, or China. When the question was asked over whether aircraft safety standards would be maintained, he said that maintenance would be carried out under supervision. Ermm... Makes you wonder how high overseas maintenance standards are, doesn't it? The full article can be read on by clicking the following link:

http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/641301

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Just read the whole article - sounds all good to me. Now if I was a New-Zealander I might look at it from a different angle... but then, I'm not to sure about that.

jarred_01 wrote:

Makes you wonder how high overseas maintenance standards are, doesn't it?

Why?

I have a hunch you haven't been to any of the countries mentioned in the article 😉

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

I was just judging on what they were talking about in the interview, the bit where they were talking about the safety concerns of overseas maintenance - but then again, who am I to judge? 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Precisely my point. No matter which country you live in, the media will always tell you that everything under the sun is best in your own country. I have first hand experience that this is not so.
It's just another daily dose of brainwashing. Yes 😳

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Precisely my point. No matter which country you live in, the media will always tell you that everything under the sun is best in your own country. I have first hand experience that this is not so.
It's just another daily dose of brainwashing. Yes 😳

Precisely what politicians and the media are good at...brainwashing. 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Just noticed on the TVNZ website that Air NZ has laid off 110 engineering staff

Saw the whole story on the news last night- and immediatly thought of this forum. It turns out the Air NZ aircraft are going to be serviced in Shanghai instead of Auckland 🙄

And Finally, Tailhook, please stop ordering me about and telling me that I am scanning, not reading. I dont know who you think you are but I have read this whole forum. Gees

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...