Force feedback - is it worth the money?

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Hey guys,

I'm considering upgrading my joystick to a Logitech Force 3D pro or something similar. I was just wondering whether having force feedback is worth the money in Flight Sim as it costs considerably more that a non-feedback design.

Thanks,
Jarred.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

I do not like mine; it's a Wingman Force 3D by Logitech. I wish I'd purchased a plain joystick, but I mistakenly thought that, if I didn't like the feedback, I'd just disable that feature and the stick would act the same as an unpowered one. Not so. It's not smooth, not at all, and it's difficult to make small corrections, in particular in bank angle. I may return it to Amazon after the holidays, and request credit toward a model I'd prefer. I tend to think that a retailer should, if a customer is genuinely dissatisfied with a product, try to make it good. Amazon's a pretty reputable outfit and I have a feeling they'd see it my way.

HL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'd owned my Microsoft Sidewinder non-feedback for a couple of years when I got the chance to use a friends force-feedback for the first time while staying over at his house.
CFS2 was new at the time - he owned it - my friend and his wife went to bed in the adjacent master bedroom - and I was left experimenting and going wild.
To cut a long story short, my friends didn't get any sleep that night (I did have the speakers turned down to a whisper) but I had a hell of a time trying to hold on to that stick - it jumped all over the place and made a terrible racket. Needless to say, I didn't score a single kill Blush

Back home I loaded FS2002 and was extremely happy with my non-feedback stick. I'm still using it today.
Some might disagree but I feel that with a fairly decent set of speakers (gotta include a subwoofer) and selected sounds for your favourite a/c, you can feel certain vibrations with a non-feedback stick.
I'll be using this old MS Sidewinder until it falls apart... or until Greekman finally decides to send me a CH setup for my birthday ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I'll be using this old MS Sidewinder until it falls apart... or until Greekman finally decides to send me a CH setup for my birthday

With pleasure 😉 ...But i dont knowif i can send things from here to Vladivostok... Poke in Eye

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Thanks for your replies guys, looks like force feedback isn't really anything great so I'll probably just go with a non-feedback stick.

As for a new sound system Tailhook, I will definitely look into it when we finally upgrade to a computer that will run flight simulator well (unlike this one). 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

As for a new sound system Tailhook, I will definitely look into it...

To be more precise, it's the low rumble of the subwoofer that makes all the difference 😀

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

I look forward to learning what you get, Jarred, and how it works out. I don't think MS makes the Sidewinders anymore, but maybe Logitech or Saetek have a good one.

Hey! How would you like to buy a Logitech Wingman Force 3D, slightly used, at a good price? It's perfect for FS9.....

HL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

HardLanding wrote:

Hey! How would you like to buy a Logitech Wingman Force 3D, slightly used, at a good price? It's perfect for FS9..

Have you been drinking HL No, No!

You're right about MS having stopped the production of their sticks Evil or Very Mad

Why??? They make X-Boxes why can't they make sticks any longer ❓

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

jarred_01 wrote:

As for a new sound system Tailhook, I will definitely look into it...

To be more precise, it's the low rumble of the subwoofer that makes all the difference 😀

I had a feeling that was what you meant Tailhook. 😉 Only problem is convincing the parents thet having the bass right up on the sub is for a perfectly good cause - I'm not mad after all! Wall Bashing Whip

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You don't have to tell or convince your parents of anything.
Just wait till they've gone to bed and then... Rock and Roll Devil

...or you could always use headphones 😀

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

You don't have to tell or convince your parents of anything.
Just wait till they've gone to bed and then... Rock and Roll Devil

...or you could always use headphones 😀

Cunning plan you have there, only thing is that our computer is virtually outside my parents bedroom so they would hear the sub. Even if I put on a headset they would still probably hear the computer humming away. 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...