Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Physics of wheels upon touchdown

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

When the aircraft is on final, with gear down, do the tires spin as the aircraft moves toward the runway. I ask because I beleive they do generate a high rpm. If they do, then upon touchdown, the tires will have to instantly reverse motion to keep up with the plane. This would cause the tires to wear off very quickly, which means they'd have to be changed every few flights, which is not the case as far as I know. Can anybody please clarify? Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Aircraft tires Do not spin with the gear extended on final approach. My father once asked me "Why don't they use a small motor to spin the tires up to speed before landing so that you would not wear the tires as much?". True that it would help but the cost and weight of such a setup would offset a very small benifit.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Thank you for all of your help! Greekman, those links gave it away - Thanks 😉

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

I have to change the tyres on the RAF Nimrods quite often as some of the young pilots seem to enjoy "dumping" the aircraft on landing 🙄, usually causing a blow out to at least 1 or 2 or the tyres, and every tyre blown out has to be sent away to Dunlop for repair at 500 each! 😞

Some real cowboys up there at the moment Horse