SearchSearch 

NEWSFLASH: Hercules crashes into tower killing all onboard!

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

NEWSFLASH: Iranian Hercules C-130 crashed into towerblock in Teheran, Iran

An Iranian military Hercules C-130 airplane with 94 persons aboard, including army officials and journalists, crashed today in Teheran, into a 10 story residential building, Iranian news agency IRNA announced.

According to AP, the four-engine plane encountered a "technical problem" immediately after taking-off from Tehran's Mehrabad airport and was trying to return to the landing site.

"Many people, including passengers and the residents of the building, have died," state television stated, adding the plane had crashed into the ground next to a high-rise housing complex and household gas supply station.

"Everyone on the plane is dead," an eyewitness told AFP.

The number of victims in the residential was tolled at 116.

Iran has approximately 15 such airplanes which were purchased before the 1979 Islamic revolution.

I can't belive no one has mentioned this already, it happened on the 6th of December but I just heard it on the radio today!

More detailed story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4506074.stm
and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Air_Force_C-130_crash_in_Tehran

21 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Indeed...I never heard of that tragic incident...Strange ❗

Good catch ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I had heard this. Apparently a reporter who missed the flight was phoned by a colleague on board the aircraft and was told the pilot didn't want to fly due to a technical issue.

I am surprised it was still flying anyway, Iran haven't been allowed any spare parts for years due to sanctions and that aircraft was commissioned in or before 1979!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I knew about it, but I really can't get upset about disasters in Iran.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I knew about it, but I really can't get upset about disasters in Iran.

Crying or Very sad Thats not cool. Why do you say that Crash, it sounds rather racist? No, No!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

I knew about it, but I really can't get upset about disasters in Iran.

Crying or Very sad Thats not cool. Why do you say that Crash, it sounds rather racist? No, No!

I still remember that an Iranian mob (with the backing of their government) invaded our embassy and held Americans hostage for over a year.

Invading the embassy of a country is an act of war. We never properly responded to that act of war. All I can do is simply not give a damn what happens to the citizens of that country.

This will probably get moderated out of existance, but that is my answer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

cheekytrolly wrote:

I knew about it, but I really can't get upset about disasters in Iran.

Crying or Very sad Thats not cool. Why do you say that Crash, it sounds rather racist? No, No!

I still remember that an Iranian mob (with the backing of their government) invaded our embassy and held Americans hostage for over a year.

Invading the embassy of a country is an act of war. We never properly responded to that act of war. All I can do is simply not give a damn what happens to the citizens of that country.

This will probably get moderated out of existance, but that is my answer.

That may be so Crash but the people in that block of flats did not invade your embassy did they? No! Did all of them necessarily back their government? No, probably not - just as not everyone backs the actions of the government currently in power in even our countries!

I expect unless the person is stood singing god bless america and waving the stars and stripes when they get killed they wouldn't get any sympathy from you would they?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Everyone can express his opinion and in this case you have all right.
My point is that if an incident includes human casulties is always horrible independently if they are Americans,Africans,Asians or whatever.This is unnegotiable.

Human life is the most valiable gift we have.I think there is no point to it.
I can understand Crash state cause i dont think he is happy for these people.
He has this feeling cause he remember...and he has to remember bad and sad memories.Sometimes emotions are over the cold statistics logic...and this is not bad,Its just a human reaction.

If we fall to the trap and start rolling back to history we will notice a lot of points to disagree to fight to cry and more...but the truth is one and only...All these poor people will never come back to tell us their feelings.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I have been so fortunate to spend time in Iran, see most of the country and make many friends.
The impression still with me today is that the iranian people are among the most hospitable I have had the honour to have met.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

I have been so fortunate to spend time in Iran, see most of the country and make many friends.
The impression still with me today is that the iranian people are among the most hospitable I have had the honour to have met.

Its abvious that you hadnt visit my country... 😂 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

I have been so fortunate to spend time in Iran, see most of the country and make many friends.
The impression still with me today is that the iranian people are among the most hospitable I have had the honour to have met.

Its abvious that you hadnt visit my country... 😂 😉

I did say "among" - so whether I include your country in 'among' or not... I think I'll just keep it as a secret for a while Tee Hee

BTW... where do you think I contracted my chronic headaches caused by the sound of smashing dinner plates?? Wall Bashing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Maybe from your neighboors... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

I heard of it the day it happend,i thougt yoou all knew...cnn and bbc were screaming out everthing about it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Maybe from your neighboors... 😉

Now I'm gonna ask you a really tricky question... ready?

Okay. Question: If we are going to talk about your country now--- are we going 'Off Topic' or 'Across the Border' ??? Doh! Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

LooooooL....
I prefer to not answer in this question here or in any other topic for the simple reason that i dont want others to getting bored...
I like to talk for my country as all of you for yours.But i prefer not to ...push...others to read something they dont want to... ❗
And i have done this mistake a hundred maybe a thousand times... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Roger that, Greekman. It was meant to be a trick question.
But you're quite right, we must at all costs beware of the ever present danger of boredom. -- ...and not to forget the thoughtpolice, of course Ninja

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I dont think that its a matter of thoughtpolice about the point we discuss...Its only a matter of respect to the others...So simple... 😉 😂

Anyway...we already hijacke it enough... Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

cheekytrolly wrote:

I knew about it, but I really can't get upset about disasters in Iran.

Crying or Very sad Thats not cool. Why do you say that Crash, it sounds rather racist? No, No!

I still remember that an Iranian mob (with the backing of their government) invaded our embassy and held Americans hostage for over a year.

Invading the embassy of a country is an act of war. We never properly responded to that act of war. All I can do is simply not give a damn what happens to the citizens of that country.

This will probably get moderated out of existance, but that is my answer.

That may be so Crash but the people in that block of flats did not invade your embassy did they? No! Did all of them necessarily back their government? No, probably not - just as not everyone backs the actions of the government currently in power in even our countries!

I expect unless the person is stood singing god bless america and waving the stars and stripes when they get killed they wouldn't get any sympathy from you would they?

I'm not quite that extreme. I don't wish them any harm, but, under the circumstances, I'm not likely to become upset by their trials and tribulations. It's my way of trying to balance the equation. I don't expect it will be understood.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

It is my friend Crash...It Is. 😉 👍

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

First up- I cant belive Crash said what he said. Its unbelivable and I'm not going to say anything more.

Secondly, I know this is Off Topic! but you guys alreayd changed the subject 😉 Greekman, I have visted Greece and think its a loverly country. I landed at Thessalonaki and stayed in Halkadi, the Mederterrainien paradice. The weather was great and the locals were friendly. On the way home, we were stuck in Thessalonaki overnight thanks to technical problems and saw a whole group of army c-130s land and refuel at the airport which was interesting too. I've also visted the greek islands of Rhodes and Corfu which were equally as pleasent!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well thats very nice Checky...I hope you visit us again 😂 ...
You will find a new friend waiting for you... 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

😀 Thanks G-man, I'd love to. My family always used to take holidays around Europe when I lived in the UK, but unfortuantly now its too far away to since I now live in New Zealand.

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions