Problem with installing a new paint.

fokker_f27 Guest

A while back I repainted an ERJ-170 jet. I modified the textures and the aircraft.cfg file. But when I stated up flight simulator, the plane shows up but is all grey. What should I do? ❓

Answers 25 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Did you save your original cfg. file?

Was the new repaint to replace the existing paint or to be an additional paint job?

I need more information.

fokker_f27 Guest

I copied the original paint to use as a paint kit, I edited it and modified the.cfg file.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

It sounds like you just modified the original paint files, if that's the case you didn't need to modify the cfg. file, you're changed files should have came up. If you have the original cfg. file just restore it.

fokker_f27 Guest

I did copy them, as a second paint for the model, so I still have the origonal skin.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

fokker_f27 wrote:

I did copy them, as a second paint for the model, so I still have the origonal skin.

Then the original skin still works?

To add a skin you have to create a new texture folder and give it a different name than the original, then in the config file you have to add the call for that skin. Here is an example. I added the third texture.

In the aircraft folder I created the folder "texture.us" and that is where I put the new paint files.

Here is the part ot the config file with the third texture added.

[fltsim.0]
title=Cessna L-19E Canadian Army
sim=L-19E
model=
panel=
sound=
sound=
texture=can
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=L-19E_ref
ui_manufacturer=Cessna
ui_type=L-19E Bird Dog
ui_variation=Canadian Army
atc_id_enable=1
atc_1d_color=0x00000000
atc_id=724
atc_parking_types=ramp
visual_damage=0
Description=Cessna's Model 305 was developed from the Model 170 as a private venture which, in 1950, was chosen as the new standard liason and observation aircraft for the US Army, which named it the L-19.The US military designation was changed to O-1 in 1962. The Canadian Army bought 16 L-19As in 1953 and 9 L-19Es in 1957 for use by artillery observers. This FS aircraft represents an O-1E (Cessna Model 305C) in Canadian Army markings.
atc_id_color=000000

[fltsim.1]
title=Cessna L-19E RoK Marine Corps
sim=L-19E
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=rokaf
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=L-19E_ref
ui_manufacturer=Cessna
ui_type=L-19E Bird Dog
ui_variation=Republic of Korea Marine Corps.
atc_id_enable=1
atc_1d_color=0x00000000
atc_id=650
atc_parking_types=ramp
Description=Cessna's Model 305 was developed from the Model 170 as a private venture which, in 1950, was chosen as the new standard liason and observation aircraft for the US Army, which named it the L-19.The US military designation was changed to O-1 in 1962. This FS aircraft represents an L-19E (Cessna Model 305C) used by the Republic of Korea Marine Corps in 1969.

[fltsim.2]
title=Cessna L-19E U.S. Army
sim=L-19E
model=
panel=
sound=
sound=
texture=us
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=L-19E_ref
ui_manufacturer=Cessna
ui_type=L-19E Bird Dog
ui_variation=u.s.
atc_1d_color=0x00000000
atc_id=724
atc_parking_types=ramp
visual_damage=0
Description=Cessna's Model 305 was developed from the Model 170 as a private venture which, in 1950, was chosen as the new standard liason and observation aircraft for the US Army, which named it the L-19.The US military designation was changed to O-1 in 1962.
atc_id_color=000000

[fltsim.2] is the added file to call up the new texture. Scroll down and you will see the texture call is "texture=us", the name of the new texture file I added.

Hope this helps.

fokker_f27 Guest

Thats what I did... does the "thumbs.db" hace anything to do with it?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

fokker_f27 wrote:

Thats what I did... does the "thumbs.db" hace anything to do with it?

Not that I know of.

If you were a member you could Private message me the files and I could see if I could find the problem. I don't give out my email address in public. 😞

fokker_f27 Guest

You can download them here:[url][URL=http://www.uploadtemple.com/view.php/1135104546.zip]/URL]
Download ti quick tough: it only stays online for 3 weeks.

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

im in a simular situation. this hole thing is so confusing. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

wilsonairspace What a find!! Thanks for that RM!

Used to be the 'Jet Doctor' as undoubtedly you are aware. How long has his site been down? Two, three years? I had all his tutorials on HDD - didn't bother backing them up and lost them.
When I went back to the site, it was gone.
He had a unique approach in his 'PaintTutorial' tailored with PS7 in mind. Worth checking out ❗

Last edited by Tailhook on Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

wilsonairspace What a find!! Thanks for that RM!

Used to be the 'Jet Doctor' as undoubtedly you are aware. How long has his site been down? Two, three years? I had all his tutorials on HDD - didn't bother backing them up and lost them.
When I went back to the site, it was gone.
He had a unique approach in his 'PaintTutorial' tailored with PSP7 in mind. Worth checking out ❗

He went out less than a year ago and let this site have all of his tutorials, some of the best on the net.
I'm glad that they weren't lost forever.

Radar

fokker_f27 Guest

Is it maybe because I used MS paint to modify the textures?

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

fokker_f27 wrote:

Is it maybe because I used MS paint to modify the textures?

You can use what ever photo/graphics editor you wish but MSPaint is not the ideal tool as it doesn't have layer properties - most repainters use the Adobe or JASC editors. Importantly, is what format you use to save the texture in.
In most cases they are saved in DXT3 or extended 32 bit format.
Others above have given you links to good tutorials and I suggest you carry out the processses described within these tutorials.
There are a thousand reasons why your textures are not registering in FS9 - it would be impossible to cover them all unless you give a very detailed description of the processes you carried out.

fokker_f27 Guest

I'm now useing bmp2000.

What I did:
I duplicaded the original textures.
I copied the "flightsim0" and renamed i t"flightsim1". I changed the characteristics.
I modified the textures. One by one.
I started the sim.
I loaded my paint.
Only the ones I didn't modify show up!

Pro Member Captain

First what is 'bmp2000'?
I did say that I would require a detailed description of what you did and please discriminate between 'texture folders' and texture bmp files.

For instance what did you you actually duplicate -

1. texture bmp files or

2. texture folder

3. If 1 then what did you name the texture folder you put the modified texture bmp files in.

4. If 2 then same applies.

Your terminology leaves a little to be desired -
I quote -
"I started the sim. "
"I loaded my paint."
How did you "load a paint" into the sim (FS9 I assume) - all the details of your modified textures and amended aircraft cfg file should be in place before you go into FS9.
I appreciate that you you may be a learner but it is important to call each file, folder, etc by it's proper name as answers can only be forthcomimg if the questions are unambiguous and clear, or we will be forever going round in circles.
As you are not a member, if you care to leave an email address, I shall contact you and see what help I can give you.

fokker_f27 Guest

I loaded it by selecting it to fly.
I duplcadad the folder and renamed it "texture.skb"
I had to change ''texture" in the .cfg file changed to ''texture=skb"
BMP2000 Is a program that writes advanced BMPs

Pro Member Captain

bmp2000 is a texture formatting software from Martin Wright (a genius) but it will only deal with the texture bmp files for FS2000 and CFS3 (so the blurb states) - I assume you are using FS9 (FS2004) - another limitation is that it will only cope with texture bmp files if a size of 512x512 (or less). I would imagine that you have at least 1 texture bmp file of 1024x1024 size and attempting to format bmp files of this size would be quite futile. Your response to my query of what is BMP2000 and I quote "BMP2000 Is a program that writes advanced BMPs", is quite erroneous - it converts existing bmp files to extended bmp files,providing they are not greater than 512x512p.
Probably the program that would be better for you is DXTBMP.exe available free, from the same site as BMP2000 (Martin Wright).
Until your texture bmp files have been properly formatted it will be of little use to try and get the a/c to show in FS9

fokker_f27 Guest

So which program should I use?

Pro Member Captain

Which program for what?

Editing, converting, viewing ????

If you re-read my post above, as far as converting is concerned I have advised you to download DXTBMP.exe and where to download it from!!!

fokker_f27 Guest

Oops Embarassed
Downloading now. Will try it.

fokker_f27 Guest

What should I save it as?

Pro Member Captain

What did you download? And if you downloaded it on to your computer then you must have saved it somewhere - I am sure that there are txt files included in the download - these txt files give you instructions what to do with the program - if my memory serves me right - it goes into c:/Graphics/mwgraphics - follow the instructions

fokker_f27 Guest

I was actually talking about the texture, but it works! Many thanks!
But the simulator kind of blurs the textures out. Anything I can do about it?

Pro Member Captain

This could go on forever -

1. Did you save the texture bmp file as 'extended bit map?

2. Or did you save as DXT1 or DXT3 or 32 Bit?

2. Did you include MIPS when you saved the bmp files?

3. Did you use anti-aliasing ?

4. What MIPs setting are you using in FS9?

In any query - you must include the details of what you did to get the result. Otherwise it is a stab in the dark.

I strongly advise you to download the tutorials from the links included in the 'sticky' (the first post in this forum). All the processes that you want to know about are included in these tutorials, compiled by more knowledgeable painters than I .... and would be a more worthwhile exercise than what has transpired in this thread.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...