Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

What is the difference between :

a) re-installing Windows OS

b) re-formatting the HDD

Thanks

Re-installing your OS does just that and that only. All programs and files that aren't a part of the OS will still be there.

Re-formatting your hard drive erases everything on the drive. You will lose everything that is on the hard drive. After re-formatting your drive you will have to install the system files, your OS and all the programs you wish to have on your computer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Format = Everything clean.

Reinstal OS = Cover the crap with a clean mask.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Format = Everything clean.

Reinstal OS = Cover the crap with a clean mask.

😂 That about sums it up.

It really depends on what the problem is, sometimes you can get by with just reinstalling the OS, other times it's not a good idea.

If XP is installed and you have automatic upgrades turned on it won't reinstall from the disks. You get the message "newer version installed".

Before any refomat I always save whatever I need to keep on CD's. Reformatting wipes the disk clean.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

always best to format and re-install imo

you can get a program that builds you a windows xp boot installation disk with selected service pack and drivers installed right away I discovered recently... a disk I will be making soon 🙂

I will be able to re-install and have a fresh Windows, with SP2 and my chipset drivers all installed and ready 😀

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Insight wrote:

always best to format and re-install imo

you can get a program that builds you a windows xp boot installation disk with selected service pack and drivers installed right away I discovered recently... a disk I will be making soon 🙂

I will be able to re-install and have a fresh Windows, with SP2 and my chipset drivers all installed and ready 😀

What program is that? It would save a lot of time having to go through all those updates every time you reload XP.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Probably something like Norton Ghost..?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks everyone

After re-formatting your drive you will have to install the system files

What are system files and where do I get them from?

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

system files = the windows XP installation

you have to install windows again using the cd

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

What are system files and where do I get them from?

Thanks

I use an old start up floppy that Windows 98 used when you had a crash. That has fdisk and format on it, after formatting from the floppy directory (A drive) type "sys C:". That installs the needed files. Then still using that disk I start it with CD support and install XP.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Okay. System files part of the OS.

Thanks gentlemen.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...