Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Paris > Amsterdam

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

Just Departed CDG bound for EHAM. Climbing through 16,000, at 285 kts -- VS is 2200. Looking good. It was pretty windy upon departure though. Takeoff required a lot of rudder input. Just thought it would be nice to catch up. Very Happy I'll let you know how the flight went after landing.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Me again -- I guess I couldn't wait till landing. Currently cruising at FL300 in my Air France A320-211. I'll be descending in about 8 minutes, so it's all looking good. Cruising speed is 0.74 MACH. I have winds 127/19.

Pro Member Chief Captain

WHEW! What a blast!! That was by far the most difficult approach I've done. You see, they vectored me for a VOR/DME approach into Schipol's runway 24. Now I haven't done this before, so I tuned in the VOR, and set my course to 240. I never use my GPS system in flight, however, this time, I felt I had to for safety reasons. The radial outbound from the VOR was 270, and it slowly turned left until I had to arch the plane over with 3 miles to go before landing. How am I supposed to know what the outbound radial is in the first place, and when to start turning towards the runway. This time, I was lucky. Although it was grey and rainy, I saw the runway during my approach, and knew when to turn. How would I know otherwise. Also, vertically, I was in bad shape. It took some effort to get the plane down to the glidepath after I was on course, but I did it without dropping the nose below 1 degree. All in all, it was a nice flight, however, if I plan on doing this again, I want to do it right.