Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Question about Flight Lessons.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well I took my first flying lesson in the summer and haven't continued since. My reason, too busy with sports and school. My question is that my Flight School, Gran-Aire based at Timmerman Field in Milwaukee, WI, they offer a ground school before you start you regular flying lessons. Is this ground school necessary? Or can you just do your basic flying lessons? Thanks

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Jared wrote:

Well I took my first flying lesson in the summer and haven't continued since. My reason, too busy with sports and school. My question is that my Flight School, Gran-Aire based at Timmerman Field in Milwaukee, WI, they offer a ground school before you start you regular flying lessons. Is this ground school necessary? Or can you just do your basic flying lessons? Thanks

I think that you are required to be signed off by a ground school instuctor saying that you know the material. Ask your flight school and see what they tell you and see how much it costs. You could start it on your own also, just by reading the books. All the knowlage that you are required to have is in this book put out by the FAA:
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2502
But because the book is written by the FAA it is in layer talk, so it can be hard to understand sometimes, so if you don't want to buy the book you can view it in a PDF document here:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/
Then if you run into something that you don't understand you can just go and look it up on the internet.
But before getting anything you should ask your flight school.
Good Luck.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

SamIntel, could you tell me what you do or learn in ground school.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Jared wrote:

SamIntel, could you tell me what you do or learn in ground school.

You can get it through classes, probly from the flight school, or you can have a private ground school instructor. I think that with a private ground school instructor you learn more on your own, and if you take the classes it is talt to you.
You learn everything in the white book. Here are the main chapters:

Principles of Flight
Airplanes and Engines
Flight Instruments
Weight and Balance and Airplane Performance
Weather
Airport Operations
Airspace
Navigation
Aeromedical Information

For ground school you also probly need a sectional chart, flight computer, navigation plotter, and maybe a few other things, but first you need to talk to your flight school.