Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

My first flying lesson (with ground pics)

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Hey guys,

After 6 cancellations in a row due to bad weather, I finally had my first flying lesson at my local airport (NZHN). The lesson was in a A152, hence having to wear 3 harnesses. No aerobatics for me though. Crying or Very sad

Anyway the lesson began with a pre-flight briefing on the basics of flight, the primary controls, and the control surfaces. Pretty straight forward thanks to my knowledge of FS and GA. We then proceeded out to ZK-EJZ for the pre-flight check. I helped out by visually checking the fuel quantity in the wings. Wink No water contamination was found in either tanks however there was a small amount found under the drain by the nose wheel (I guess that is any AVGAS still left in the fuel pumps). With that out of the way we started the engine and tuned into the ELB frequency before checking and recording the ATIS, which I will post in this thread tomorrow.

My instructor let me taxi out to the runway before we departed to Hamilton West, the primary training area. Cruise altitude was 1500ft. My instructor then let me take over the controls by letting me see what the aircraft does when only one control is used at once (e.g. turn and slip when only using rudder and no aileron and vice-versa).

Half an hour of flight time was then quickly used up before I had a go at the approach to grass runway 26. The instructor then took over about 50 ft above the runway.

Dad took a few ground pictures of me which can be found below:

My C-152 trainer, ZK-EJZ.

Freedom Air A320 about to commence take off roll, which is owned by Air NZ, but still in Air NZ livery.

That's me taxing back to the aero club after the lesson.

A couple of Pipers and 152 at the aero club, obviously not needed for the day.

My trainer 152 ZK-EJZ on the left, and 172's ZK-WAM (centre) and ZK-JGP (right).

My next lesson is at 8.30am tomorrow morning. Sleep

Hope you liked my write-up,
Jarred.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I envy you Jarred Mad Mad Mad Wink

Congratulations....Fly high Exclamation

Pro Member Trainee
Michael Judah (compilots) Trainee

You shall soon be addicted! When you start feeling that strange 2D feeling, it means you must get some more air time! Good luck!

Welcome to the aviators family!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It sounds fantastic, it must be a thrill knowing your going for your license.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm jealous. Wink

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Good to see you finally got up into the air jarred after all that time of waiting. Good to see that there is some bigger aircraft coming in and out of the airport that you are training at. Should make some interesting experiences for you in the circuit at times. I am working on solo sectors at my home airport Dundee (EGPN) but the biggest aircraft i find myself making way for in the circuit is the dornier fairchild.

Good luck with the rest of the training, hopefully it all goes well and most importantly, enjoy every moment of it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Hey jarred.

Great post, very interesting to read and nice pics! I hope you enjoyed yourself.

I dont know if it is the same for you, but once I flyed for real, fsim never feels the same again Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Jarred, congratulations!! Thumbs Up!

I'm sure you enjoyed that ride very much. It must be great to watch the scenery from up there and feel how the plane responds as you turn, climb, or decend.

Good job! Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Thanks for all of your replies guys. Thumbs Up!

CT - Yeah FS doesn't really feel the same after you have done it for real, but I suppose unlike real life flying it doesn't cost a cent and you can do it whenever you feel like it.

Agus - I was quite amazed about the forces in a light plane, especially when you press the yoke forward just a little too fast when you first have a go, and you lose your stomach - bad!

But most of all I was lots of fun and I cant wait until my next lesson on Monday. That will allow me another entry into my logbook to bring my total up to 1.5 hours.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

I envy you. Mad anyway,congrats Very Happy have a great time flying