SearchSearch 

Way OT-- HMS Endeavour

Guest Ed Guest

This topic is actually directed at the member who uses the name, HMS Endeavour, but I thought I throw it open to general discussion.

I've always enjoyed reading naval history and fiction, and one of the books I read several years back was the biography of Joseph Banks. Banks was a scientist who sailed aboard (and largely funded) the round-the-world voyage of HMS Endeavour, from 1768 to 1771. Commanded by the famous Captain Cook, the ship visited Tahiti, New Zealand, and Australia, for a scientific expedition. Joseph Banks was the botanist for whom Botany Bay in Australia was named. Botany Bay is now the location of Sydney's interntional airport (just to inject a little aviation content in here).

In honor of this ship and its scientific expendition, the newest NASA space shuttle orbiter is named Endeavour.

In 1997, an authentic replica of the HMS Endeavour was constructed in Australia, which has since sailed to distant parts of the globe. I was able to visit and tour the ship when it came in to Newport Beach, California, several years ago. What I remember most is how tiny the ship was, and to think of sailing around the world in unknown waters in that little vessel was a real eye-opener.

So I was just curious about the connection between our member here at FlyAway, HMS Endeavour, and that historic ship?

And are there others here who enjoy reading this sort of history, of wooden ships and epic voyages?

Ed

9 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

hey,ok i do like to read naval stories(but not to many) so,anyway,there isn't really a connection with flyaway(sorry to dissapoint you),let be the shuttle,but actually,it was just that i gave a model of the good ship to my dad for his birthday several years ago and i just thoug of that as a nickname while staring at it on my dad's desk.I just thoug i'd use it for flyaway.sorry if this is a boring story but that's all i can offer. 😉 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

what does HMS stand for??? naval technology does not interest me at all.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

And are there others here who enjoy reading this sort of history, of wooden ships and epic voyages?

I have about 8 books deticated to this kind of story Guest Ed.I like this historys and everythnig it has to do with stories of discoveries etc.
Apart from the fact that we learn history through these books we have an opportunity to admire the hummans spirit flame and the faith to their believes... 😉

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

and when i read the title of this topic, i thought you were going to attack HMS for something!

Thank goodness, im glad you are a decent chap!

And so is HMS also

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

HMS means Her Majesty's Ship

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

HMS means Her Majesty's Ship

Or His Majesty's Ship depending who is on the throne at the time. just thought I'll drop that in.

Guest Ed Guest

Okay, it was just idle curiousity. I just wondered why a person in France would use the name of a British Royal Navy ship for his user name.

Actually, I just learned today (by Googling) that many years after Endeavour was sold out of the royal navy, she was purchased by French owners who used her in the whaling business, during which time she was named La Liberte. She ran aground off Newport, Rhode Island, USA, and was broken up.

Okay, enough history, let's get back to flying!! 😀

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

What! there is another Newport ❗
I know,I know 😉
But talking old ships and Newport,looky what they found here ➡

http://www.thenewportship.com/

Guest Ed Guest

tomthetank wrote:

What! there is another Newport ❗
I know,I know 😉
But talking old ships and Newport,looky what they found here ➡

http://www.thenewportship.com/

Interesting. I hadn't read about that before.

So there's a Newport in South Wales, as well as one in England?

Ed